MF Doom billboard in San Francisco

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I drove into the city tonight and my friend pointed out a billboard for the upcomming Dangerdoom album. That was a serious WTF moment. I mean who knows how expensive it is to buy space amongst all the Verizon, Coke, Abercrombie shit that's up there. Do they really think they can pull that many sales from a billboard? I don't.

Comments

• Can you take a photo...? Ha! Cause that really does seem like some shit.
    Is it true that it is being advertised on the Cartoon Network channel as well?

It's even availble to buy HERE...[/b]

Genius move.

• well since its a joint venture between danger mouse, mf doom, and adult swim, they've been running a lot of commercials for it

most memorable one so far is the one with matthew lesko (sp?), you know, that infomercial guy who wears that suit with quesiton marks all over it... its like one of his infomercials, except he keeps yelling "dangerdoom!"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Seen this in stores for 8.99 CD and 9.99 vinyl, locally

• yeah the push for this is ridiculous!

• So has it actually charted over there at any decent level?
    Good way to hook the kids in to good hip hop, but Adult Swim is probably marketed more towards...um, er adults yeah...?

...and is it true that he can't leave the US because he was born in England & doesn't have US passport?
    People have tried to get him down here but fear it might turn into another Slick Rick fiasco.

• i think dangermouse is one of the most overated producers ever.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dude has some dope as fuck beats on ghetto pop life (real underrated album) but i haven't really liked too much that i've heard from him since then

• I remember my boy playing it for me and I was pretty underwhelmed. That shit sounded mad amatuer-ish. Dued was looping up drum beats from scratch battle records.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you didnt like that stuff? ghetto pop life, omega supreme, and the only one all have real nice beats. unfortunately i dont remember any of the other tracks haha

• ghetto pop life (real underrated album)

the shit with cee-lo was an amazing track

• I drove into the city tonight and my friend pointed out a billboard for the upcomming Dangerdoom album. That was a serious WTF moment. I mean who knows how expensive it is to buy space amongst all the Verizon, Coke, Abercrombie shit that's up there. Do they really think they can pull that many sales from a billboard? I don't.
    the label releasing it, epitaph, is some big budget shit. they always put a lot of money into promotion. the album itself though, sounds like a bunch of songs cut from madvillain, which itself was kinda

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ghetto pop life (real underrated album)

the shit with cee-lo was an amazing track

LOOK HOW WE SITTING
    26 INCHES
    AT A RED LIGHT
    BUT THEM THANGS KEEP SPINNIN ROUND

• you didnt like that stuff? ghetto pop life, omega supreme, and the only one all have real nice beats. unfortunately i dont remember any of the other tracks haha

Not really. I'll give it another listen since you seem to dig it. I dunno, I think i'm a little biased in my "hatteur-ation" since that Grey album bullshit/the cornballs that praise it.

He did a track with Cee-lo? Hmmmm.....time to do a google search.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you didnt like that stuff? ghetto pop life, omega supreme, and the only one all have real nice beats. unfortunately i dont remember any of the other tracks haha

Not really. I'll give it another listen since you seem to dig it. I dunno, I think i'm a little biased in my "hatteur-ation" since that Grey album bullshit/the cornballs that praise it.

the 26" ep is pretty good to pick up. it has the what you sittin on remix with cee-lo and the ghetto pop life remix with sadat x who rips that shit apart.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

the 26" ep is pretty good to pick up. it has the what you sittin on remix with cee-lo and the ghetto pop life remix with sadat x who rips that shit apart.

cosign on that 26" ep. nice artwork too.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

...and is it true that he can't leave the US because he was born in England & doesn't have US passport?
    People have tried to get him down here but fear it might turn into another Slick Rick fiasco.

I have been hoping Doom would get brought over here for a show for a while now. Good luck Blaze, and post or PM me if this ever happens, soi don't miss it!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i think dangermouse is one of the most overated producers ever.

Agreed.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Agreed.
    Dude is only overrated by people whose opinion on rap doesn't mean shit in the first place. I've never heard anyone who listens to a lot of rap go "omg so good beats dangermouse." Madlib on the other hand...

• ...and is it true that he can't leave the US because he was born in England & doesn't have US passport?

Seen Doom up here in Toronto... so I don't think he has passport problems...

Unless you're talking about Dangermouse.

• Posters, billboards, and bus benches. That shit's been up in Hollywood for a minute. With the Adult Swim thing going on, they must be forking at mad promtional dollars. No surprise.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

I drove into the city tonight and my friend pointed out a billboard for the upcomming Dangerdoom album. That was a serious WTF moment. I mean who knows how expensive it is to buy space amongst all the Verizon, Coke, Abercrombie shit that's up there. Do they really think they can pull that many sales from a billboard? I don't.

yeah that's really not surprising considering the label people involved in the project. listened to the album today, seems like too much product placement for adult swim/aqua teen hunger force which i'm not into at all. doom and dangermouse are both really great, but this album was a total miss. didn't see the billboard. where is it in sf?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

yeah that's really not surprising considering the label people involved in the project. listened to the album today, seems like too much product placement for adult swim/aqua teen hunger force which i'm not into at all. doom and dangermouse are both really great, but this album was a total miss. didn't see the billboard. where is it in sf?

it's after you cross the bay bridge going into the city. it's on the right side a litle ways in. it's not one of the prime spots, but it's tucked away next to a building running almost parallel to the freeway.

• I think i'm one of the few who really liked this album despite hating most of Dangermouse's other stuff...
    Doom had some passport issues as he was supposed to play in the uk but couldn't, apparently it's fixed now, but i don't believe it.

• Posters all over NYC for a few weeks now.
    The cartoons are too much!
    Danger and Doom yes, Aqua Teen no.
    GOTTA KEEP EM SEPERATED!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    So has it actually charted over there at any decent level?

Is this a serious question?

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Posters all over NYC for a few weeks now.
    GOTTA KEEP EM SEPERATED!

yes indeed. i've heard it, and the Adult Swim drops, while funny, have no place in there. it's such a lame cross-promotional thing. it's actually kind of offensive. Doom should know better than that.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    So has it actually charted over there at any decent level?

Is this a serious question?

• Posters all over NYC for a few weeks now.
    GOTTA KEEP EM SEPERATED!

yes indeed. i've heard it, and the Adult Swim drops, while funny, have no place in there. it's such a lame cross-promotional thing. it's actually kind of offensive. Doom should know better than that.

Those dudes gotta eat. Can't hate on 'em for hustling.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    this album is the worst thing i've heard this year.