BEST album you own that is TRASHED

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm sure many of you are like me, and can't resist grabbing that raer for only $3.00, even though you can see that someone spent the bulk of an 8-year cocaine habit cutting rails on the surface of the vinyl...I know it's painful, but share your raerest G+ LP's...I'll name two: I copped this at a record fair last winter, in a box of $2 records...white label promo OG on Eastbound, one of the only times in life I ever let out a genuinely frightening cackle of triumph as I pulled a record, like "AHAAAGGH!!" Unfortunately, the laugh was on me, because once I was in my car and more closely inspecting things, I realized it was warped to a true bean-dip dish degree...I'm holding onto it until I get the nerve to try the "2-plates-of-glass" warp repair method... This one I could see was rinked, but for $2, I wasn't gonna let it slip away...I don't think it actually skips at any point, but there isn't a point in listening to it that it doesn't sound like ice skates on concrete...still, I play it all the time, and it will do until I luck into another cheap clean copy, or win the lottery and start buying all the $100 records I want...What you got?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yardbirds - For Your Love[/b]
    Sentimental favorite...thrifted this as a teenager in the 1980's. Fucked up, but surprisingly playable. And it's still got the yellow innersleeve!

This Five Keys album on the Aladdin label[/b]
    1950's doo-wop heat that I just picked up for $2 this summer. I won't be spinning this one often - it skips something terrible - but it is what it is, and collectable as all hell, so I'm holding on to it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's funny, your location just reminded me of what would have to be my other choice, a copy of O.V. Wright's "Nuleus of Soul" on the oldest and coolest BackBeat label/cover I have ever seen. It's like those true OG Bobby Bland records on Duke you find, and realize you had only seen the 2nd, 4th, 12th pressings until that moment. Anyway, the O.V. was trashed but dude gave it to me for free, and one side plays pretty good. I actually floss that one, trashed or not, cause O.V. Wright is in many ways the G.O.A.T.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• VG--

I'll trade you my warped Donald Austin for it...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's funny, your location just reminded me of what would have to be my other choice, a copy of O.V. Wright's "Nuleus of Soul" on the oldest and coolest BackBeat label I have ever seen.

Ha, ha, yeah! It probably didn't have the drawing of the drumsticks hitting the snare, did it? I'm assuming it just had the label name in block letters on a red background (like this Big Mama Thornton LP on Back Beat that I have)...

It's like those true OG Bobby Bland records on Duke you find, and realize you had only seen the 2nd, 4th, 12th pressings until that moment.

I know - I had seen the MCA reissue of Two Steps From The Blues so many times that I was shocked when I found out it had a full-color cover (MCA reprinted the photo in straight-up black-and-white).

Anyway, the O.V. was trashed but dude gave it to me for free, and one side plays pretty good. I actually floss that one, trashed or not, cause O.V. Wright is in many ways the G.O.A.T.

Just so this doesn't look like a thread hijack, I may as well mention the messed-up copy I have of A Christmas Gift For You on Philles Records (a/k/a "the Phil Spector Xmas album"). I already had a clean Rhino reissue from the eighties, with the same cover design, but there sat the OG in a thrift store, beat to hell, so I just figured "why the hell not?"

• I got this at the local swap meet a few years back, the cover has major split seam, plays with an audible noise about half of the record, probably skips more than a couple of times.

• This one plays like a dream

this one doesn't

:/

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

The cover on mine looks like someone took a shit on it and then tossed it in a woodchipper, but the vinyl play okay for the most part.

DJ Ferrari

• I'll trade you my warped Donald Austin for it...

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    miles and monk at newport...warped as fuck

• I still want this.

• Has some crazy marks that I have no idea how they were made. Doesn't skip but sounds staticky threw most of record. Not to mention the top is almost coming off on the cover and the bottom has a 4 inch split.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

as I recall, the LP is pretty OK but the cover is in like 7 pieces.

I also picked up a trashed copy of "For Your Love" for 48 cents once...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

• meshmesh 925 Posts

its a solid g+

• I see a good amount of latin rare in the field that is just beat to hell like cats were fighting on top the record or something. One of the worst

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

Well what can u expect. I droped ~$2 on it...

• I still want this.

is this a US issue? I have never seen this cover. CLASSIC SHIT!

• I still want this.

is this a US issue? I have never seen this cover. CLASSIC SHIT!
    Yup.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Lucy Rodgers - Sister Soul

scratched and fuzzy all the way to heaven and back - but still so good.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i need SF Sorrows if anyones got a copy

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

its a solid g+

Id buy it for the cover alone. MEAN MUGGIN!! in those very fany outfits.

• Found this a couple weeks ago but it's pretty scratched up. Not sure why there's tape on the cover as the seams are otherwise clean/unsplit.

But this is the best trashed record I own:

Unknown surf/garage LP on a Nebraska record label from 1964. Currently the only known copy but it's marked up and has extensive writing on the blank back cover. Luckily it plays through without skipping.

• At $1.49 and still in shrink I knew it was too good to be true even before I looked inside. At least the playable part plays well.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Mine has H2O damage & an edge warp, but it plays fine. Was about $149.01 less than "the market value" though. But yeah, that's about the raerest thing I have in sketchy condition.

i need SF Sorrows if anyones got a copy

If you don't have it, the 2 LP "Real Pretty" set on Rare Earth is a nice budget holdover until the real thing comes along. Both "SF Sorrow" and "Parachute" LP's in the official order.

This is how I want to get my OG of "SF Sorrow:"

RS-505-509 - Introduction to Rare Earth Records - Various Artists [6/69] This is a promotional 5 record boxed set which contains the first 5 releases on Rare Earth. The cover of the boxed set has a picture of the Rare Earth label with "A VERY HEAVY NEW LABEL" on it. Each of the five records in the set have promotional white labels, and all have the round die cut cover.

RS-505 - Blues Helping - Love Sculpture
    RS-506 - S.F. Sorrow - Pretty Things
    RS-507 - Get Ready - Rare Earth
    RS-508 - Bedlam - Rustix
    RS-509 - Messengers - Messengers