New York subway agency warns of unspecified threat

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
What's going on? It's on cnn.com and reuters.com.

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    press conference right now...

NYC Increases Subway Security After Threat

By TOM HAYS
    Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Authorities are increasing security on the city's mass transit system after word of a credible threat of a bombing on the New York City subway, a law enforcement official said Thursday.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in advance of an official announcement, said the threat is "specific to place, time and method," and that the method is bombing.

Rep. Peter King of New York confirmed the threat, saying "Obviously, this is a significant threat."

King is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.

Police scheduled a news conference for 5:30 p.m. EDt.

• Damn I don't trust the subway right now! Glad I'm driving. Anyways all my straphangers be careful out there.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ugh, stay safe y'all!!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    ugh, stay safe y'all!!!!

Damn I don't trust the subway right now! Glad I'm driving. Anyways all my straphangers be careful out there.

me neither, so glad i took my bike to work today... better safe than sorry for a few days i think...

• A bomb in a packed train or station would be catastrophic. Subway system carries something like six million a day. It was only a matter of time. FUCK man. Shit, I need the extra change I might start running cars back and forth in the AM and after 9. No joke.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    sweet... i fly out there tomorrow.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shit, should I drive into Newark and pick up my wife? Is this real?

For real is this real? I'm kind of panicing right now

• Yo honestly I hate to feed into it like this, but NYC gets unspecific threats every day. Tons of threats that you and I never hear about. Washington feeds them bullshit threats that they then disprove (NYC home of biggest antiterrorist braintrust and force in the country). I have to think that if they are going public like this, it's very serious.

This is not Washington, this is not Bush. NYC govt doesn't need to scare people into submission. I think this is for real.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah I agree completely. New Yorkers don't really scare like that, dog. I think this is legit.

Yo honestly I hate to feed into it like this, but NYC gets unspecific threats every day. Tons of threats that you and I never hear about. Washington feeds them bullshit threats that they then disprove (NYC home of biggest antiterrorist braintrust and force in the country). I have to think that if they are going public like this, it's very serious.

This is not Washington, this is not Bush. NYC govt doesn't need to scare people into submission. I think this is for real.

true... i was thinking about that when i noticed how this bumped the Karl Rove testifying shit off all the news sites...

paranoia's a motherfucker, but getting blown up is worse...

i'm staying off the trains for a few days...

• Heightened security at New York Subway after receiving a credible threat.

October 6, 2005, 11:35 PM (GMT+02:00)
    Described as specific as to space, time and method meaning 19 suitcase bombs.
    Additional police and canine units deployed.

from the top of the page at Debka. who knows the level of credibility of that site, tho?

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    New York subway under threat: transit agency
    Thu Oct 6, 2005 5:39 PM ET163

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City has received threats against its subway system and is adding extra police officers to protect the transit system, said Tom Kelly, the mass transit agency's spokesman.

"My understanding is there are threats against the system," Kelly said. "We're deploying additional police and canine units as is the New York Police Department."

Kelly declined to comment on any details about the threats. Mayor Michael Bloomberg and police chief Ray Kelly also declined to comment on the threat but were set to hold a brief briefing shortly.

New York has been on high alert for another attack since the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center.

City police began searches of passengers' backpacks and luggage on the transit system after July bombings on London's transit system but those extra security precautions have been little in evidence in recent weeks.

Rep. Peter King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said he had spoken to police chief Kelly, who told him, "there was a credible threat to the New York transit system." Speaking to CNN, King offered no other details.

New York subways carry 7 million riders daily.

(reuters.com)

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in advance of an official announcement, said the threat is "specific to place, time and method,"[/b] and that the method is bombing.
    what's up with this?

• Heightened security at New York Subway after receiving a credible threat.

from the top of the page at Debka. who knows the level of credibility of that site, tho?

whoa, weird, now it's gone. was on the top of the page a second ago as a breaking new thing by the scrolling text...

Heightened security at New York Subway after receiving a credible threat.

whoa, weird, now it's gone. was on the top of the page a second ago as a breaking new thing by the scrolling text...

um, relax dude, it's on the NYtimes site, CNN, AP, all the NYC news stations... it's real..

• Described as specific as to space, time and method meaning 19 suitcase bombs.
    ?

what does this mean??^^^^

with six to xeven million people riding a day, the chance that it wil be you is slim, but still, is this for real?

• who knows, just what it says over at Debka, for what it's worth.

I'm 99% "be careful out there, people!" and 1% "man, this is really well-timed with Bush's big War On Terror speech earlier today".....but everybody be careful anyway, bc thats nothing to fk with, sheesh.

?

what does this mean??^^^^

with six to xeven million people riding a day, the chance that it wil be you is slim, but still, is this for real?

• Damn I don't trust the subway right now! Glad I'm driving. Anyways all my straphangers be careful out there.

You are much more likely to die in a car accident than a terrorist attack, wear your seatbelt and be careful. I take the subway at least three or four times a day, my home station being Grand Central, the second biggest transportation hub in the city. Watch yourself but don't get scared. I know NYC government doesn't need to alarm people, but this is all on the heels of a proposed $150 million the MTA is asking or spending on new security systems. The city is also constantly complaining that it hasn't recieved enough money from the federal government to ensure security. Stay safe, but always be skeptical.

• I am a very safe driver.

NY has got to be the safest place to drive out of anywhere I've been.

Also got to be the most likely place to get blown up on a subway train.

I'll take my odds in the car!

I am a very safe driver.

I'll take my odds in the car!
    maybe we'll call you johnny... my girl just phoned me, saying "it's taxis only for the next 4 days". that shit's gonna be 'spensive.

Impossible with all those Puerto Ricans behind the wheel

I would say Malaysia.

Impossible with all those Puerto Ricans behind the wheel

For every one Puerto Rican driver there's 10 Puerto Rican passengers though

BOOOOIIING!

• making the roads all that more dangerous!
    tostones in your toyota?!

• making the roads all that more dangerous!
    tostones in your toyota?!

maduros in my minivan.

• i just missed a call... where'd mofongo?