how important is alcohol when you play live

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Scotch scotch scotch

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    For you or the crowd? LOL

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    we talking' for the crowd or for yourself as the dj?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I need not to drink when I spin.
    Makes me play 'Jolene'.

• essential, how else you gonna know what a drunk crowd wants?

• we talking' for the crowd or for yourself as the dj?

OBVIOUSLY NOT A DJ

• I need not to drink when I spin.

OBVIOUSLY NOT A DJ

• Give the drummers some

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    essential, how else you gonna know what a drunk crowd wants?

true, indeed, but don't be more drunk than them, and fall into the turntables and spill some pina collada over your mulatu lp

• essential, how else you gonna know what a drunk crowd wants?

OBVIOUSLY A DJ OR PROMISING CANDIDATE

• don't be more drunk than them

OBVIOUSLY NOT A DJ

your mulatu lp

NO REALLY, OBVIOUSLY NOT A DJ

• Sometimes I DJ for the free drinks and not much else. Gotta get your money's worth.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i can't mix drinks worth shit.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    I need not to drink when I spin.

OBVIOUSLY NOT A DJ

It is more important than records

• i can't mix drinks worth shit.

mixed drinks, pfffffff

• Unfortunately, locally there have been (reported) instances of NC Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE) agents cracking down on DJs drinking at the clubs they're spinning at, and fining the clubs a few hundred dollars for having an employee drinking alcohol on the job. Whether or not these reports are actually true (I find them rather suspect), at least one club where I spin has prohibited all DJs from drinking while "on the clock," ostensibly because they want to avoid being fined.

One would hope the ALE would check to see how much the BARTENDERS are drinking while they're at it.

NC ALE

OBVIOUSLY NOT DJs

OBVIOUSLY NOT A DJ

OH NO YOU DI'I'N'T.

xmikex

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

BLUNTED ON REALITY

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Drinking while I'm DJing is absolutely essential for a few reasons...

1) It takes the fear of playing in front of people away. Yes, I'm a newbie at playing live.
    2) It makes it fun and I don't feel like I'm missing out on the action as much.
    3) This one's important. It keeps me restrained from wanting to always mix a new record. I have a hard time standing there doing nothing while something is playing. I always want to either be scratching or mixing a new record in, but sometimes you just gotta let it play. Drinking helps me hold back on that temptation.

DJ Ferrari

• BLUNTED ON REALITY

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

3) This one's important. It keeps me restrained from wanting to always mix a new record. I have a hard time standing there doing nothing while something is playing. I always want to either be scratching or mixing a new record in, but sometimes you just gotta let it play. Drinking helps me hold back on that temptation.

cosign, sometimes it is rather difficult and not neccessary to rock doubles of "I know you got Soul" while you are zipping on your Long Island Ice Tea and some girl wants to drink Tequilla with you

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Unfortunately, locally there have been (reported) instances of NC Alcohol Law Enforcement (ALE) agents cracking down on DJs drinking at the clubs they're spinning at, and fining the clubs a few hundred dollars for having an employee drinking alcohol on the job.

Damn! If this was enforced here, I'd be banned from all venues. So would about 80% of all (party) DJs, maybe more.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i ALWAYS have a beer or two before i get started. takes the edge off.

plus, i just like to drink.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

BLUNTED ON REALITY

'CAUSE HE SHINE LIKE ONE

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    How important is alcohol when you play live?

alcohol for me, is just as important as the records...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Not a drop in 8 years or something like that and doing just fine at the wheels.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Either way I'm cool but I won't turn it away. Same with the sensii.

Makes me play 'Jolene'.

bahahahahahah so neccessary.... wheres the gremlin with jayz's grill?

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i usually drink when i play but there's always a breaking point...the point where i start playing shit i want to hear and not what the crowd wants. sometimes it works out but most of the time it doesn't.
    i'm kind of an asshole when i drink.