McDonald and Giles Self Titled Appreciation Thread

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
I can't even really explain why I love this album so much. I don't think it gets enough credit, all the way through it's beautiful.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    yeah, great album

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    It's just a drumbreak dude.

I like that whole album too. I should break it out cause it's been a minute.
    It's good to have common record appreciation threads like this cause it reminds you to go back and enjoy shit all over again.

• yes, dope record

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    yes, dope record

raer dreas sighting.

I used to see this record quite a bit a few years a go but haven't seen it in a while. It is nice.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yes, dope record

raer dreas sighting.

I used to see this record quite a bit a few years a go but haven't seen it in a while. It is nice.

I was just gonna say, for a "common" record, I never see it. Still don't have one. I know the second after I buy it on eBay, I'll find two at a thrift store. I hate that!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I just listened to it 2 days ago...it still holds it's own...a few members of King Crimson were involved in the project if I remember correctly.

Gets my approval!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    What everybody else said...Fairly common dope album from start to finish, I also listened to it just a few days ago.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I just listened to it 2 days ago...it still holds it's own...a few members of King Crimson were involved in the project if I remember correctly.

Gets my approval!
    Not to mention a young Steve Winwood....Valllerrrieeeeee.... nevermind.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Gets my approval!
    Not to mention a young Steve Winwood....Valllerrrieeeeee.... nevermind.

Sounds like you are "Back in the High Life, Again" on 4/20, Tom.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I would like to see a three way soundclash betwixt McDonald and Giles, MacNeal and Niles, and Mouth and MacNeal. Perhaps DJed by Mia Sara, Mira Sorvino, and Mena Suvari. Shit would be ganz tol.

Some nice trambone on that record, though. And some real presence, too.

I keep forgetting: What's really good?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I would like to see a three way soundclash betwixt McDonald and Giles, MacNeal and Niles, and Mouth and MacNeal.

Stop stealing my material! You have enough of your own!

What it do on a hot link?

Tomorrow's People having Summer Fun in the Land of Milk and Honey.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Tomorrow's People

Chicago on this?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Tomorrow's People

Chicago on this?

The Germans are

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I would like to see a three way soundclash betwixt McDonald and Giles, MacNeal and Niles, and Mouth and MacNeal. Perhaps DJed by Mia Sara, Mira Sorvino, and Mena Suvari. Shit would be ganz tol.

WHOA

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Stop stealing my material!

Pfft. Yeah, I'm "stealing" your material like Clubbup is "stealing" your rhymes. I've had that one in the quiver since the wayback, dude. Go outside and shake your fist at helicopters or something.

On a completely unrelated note: What's that Analord record I'm looking for again, Dave? 01 or 10? Drinking Mitchum roll-on got my memory perforated something turrible.

Vermont on this?

• hell yes, just picked this one up a few weeks back. the flute interlude on tomarrow's people is nice.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Stop stealing my material!

Pfft. Yeah, I'm "stealing" your material like Clubbup is "stealing" your rhymes. I've had that one in the quiver since the wayback, dude. Go outside and shake your fist at helicopters or something.

On a completely unrelated note: What's that Analord record I'm looking for again, Dave? 01 or 10? Drinking Mitchum roll-on got my memory perforated something turrible.

Vermont on this?

pffffft

I see how yall do.

X is the number that you want.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Great Record. Made one of my first beats with it. remember that first crop of beats before you went through all the first stage hard hitting records???

I may be worng, but I saw a reissue of this on a wall in Other Music in Ny.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Now this is a lost art from the 70's. Rock stars showing off their girlfriends on the cover (like Al Kooper always used to do).

• Good thread. "Flight of the Ibis" is one of my favorite songs from the '70s.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    definitely one of my favorite records. good all the way through.

my dad has the king crimson box set with the map of what all the members went off and did and all the different incarnations of each band. i dont remember perfectly, but i guess there were three or four different lineups for mcdonald and giles.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts

my dad has the king crimson box set with the map of what all the members went off and did and all the different incarnations of each band. i dont remember perfectly, but i guess there were three or four different lineups for mcdonald and giles.

dont forget 'Cheerful Insanity Of Giles Giles & Fripp'....great wackyweird psych pre McD & G.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

dont forget 'Cheerful Insanity Of Giles Giles & Fripp'....great wackyweird psych pre McD & G.

anybody else heard the league of gentlemen LP from 81? i havent listened to it in a while, but i remember it being interesting.

i should go get that chart and make a photocopy. it's pretty interesting. king crimson itself has gone through a good 40 changes.

• definitely one of my favorite records. good all the way through.

If only it was as cool as it looks. I like the pre-metal font on the back!

Does anyone know of any other records with Micheal Giles on them besides the first 2 Crimson albums? He is one of my favorite drummers of all time and I could only find him on 1 other record. Mcdonald moved on to form everyone's favorite...Foreigner.