Hip-Hop Questions

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Has anybody heard this new Twista album that apparently comes out today? I didn't even know he had a new record. Kamikaze was one of my favorite records last year, but I also felt like he was on the verge of moving in a direction that I really couldn't get with... see that terd of a single "Hope".********************Also, Mannie Fresh has apparently left Cash Money? I read this in XXL--why hasn't the blogosphere been goin' nuts? Does anybody know what's going on with that? Is Fresh getting set up with his own imprint somewhere? That could be a good look, although Fresh has always struck me as somebody almost completely uninterested in business, or else he wouldn't have let the Williams brothers take his money for so many years.********************This Purple Label Allstars album I keep seeing ads for--is that just an offical repackaging of Got that Purp or what?

Comments

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Has anybody heard this new Twista album that apparently comes out today?

Also, Mannie Fresh has apparently left Cash Money? I read this in XXL--why hasn't the blogosphere been goin' nuts? Does anybody know what's going on with that? Is Fresh getting set up with his own imprint somewhere? That could be a good look, although Fresh has always struck me as somebody almost completely uninterested in business, or else he wouldn't have let the Williams brothers take his money for so many years.

HMMMMMMM! I have not heard about this..but I hope it is true. Good For Mannie... Those cats have been eating off him for too long.

• 1) didnt know twista was out today. the stuff i've heard from it has been...interesting. didn't know which song out of the leaked stuff was the actual single, which probably says something. (also - has it been long enough post 9/11 for duke to put an EXPLODING BUILDING on the cover for an album called "the day after"?

2) mannie is still with universal and caking off outside production

3) the big boi record is "got that purp VOLUME 2" - some of the tracks from the mixtape (the bun b song "808") but mostly new joints. all of the tracks are up at www.purpleribbonallstars.com

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    1) didnt know twista was out today. the stuff i've heard from it has been...interesting. didn't know which song out of the leaked stuff was the actual single, which probably says something. (also - has it been long enough post 9/11 for duke to put an EXPLODING BUILDING on the cover for an album called "the day after"?

Check this out--apparently there's an alternate cover, possibly for sale at places like Wal-Mart:

vs.

2) mannie is still with universal and caking off outside production

Yeah he's been doing the outside production thing for a minute, but all the time insisting that he was Cash Money for life. According to XXL, his departure became public back in August but actually occurred before that. Weird that nobody's talking about it.

I was really looking forward to Tha Carter pt. 2--I feel like Wayne's on the verge of something big. Hopefully they are not on some cheap schitt with the production.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Also, Mannie Fresh has apparently left Cash Money? I read this in XXL--why hasn't the blogosphere been goin' nuts? Does anybody know what's going on with that? Is Fresh getting set up with his own imprint somewhere? That could be a good look, although Fresh has always struck me as somebody almost completely uninterested in business, or else he wouldn't have let the Williams brothers take his money for so many years.

A few months ago I remember reading that Mannie Fresh had set up a new crib and studio in Houston and was spending a lot of time there.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I didn't even know he had a new record. Kamikaze was one of my favorite records last year, but I also felt like he was on the verge of moving in a direction that I really couldn't get with... see that terd of a single "Hope".

Really? I was let down by Kamikaze. To me, Twista is like the major label version of Percee P. They both can consistantly drop a guest verse that'll steal the show (see Twista on "Poppin' Tags" or Too Short's "Quit Hatin'"), but when they have to fill out 14+ tracks on a full-length, the magic's gone.

That said, "Kill Us All" is still the jam on Kamikaze. And agreed on Twista's new cuddly direction...what's that all about?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    This Purple Label Allstars album I keep seeing ads for--is that just an offical repackaging of Got that Purp or what?
    '
    all i know is that the goodie cut is a still standing outtake. which means it's a must cop.

i'm not feeling kryptonite like that though.

This Purple Label Allstars album I keep seeing ads for--is that just an offical repackaging of Got that Purp or what?

all i know is that the goodie cut is a still standing outtake. which means it's a must cop.

Seriously? Big Boy's gonna put out a full album of Still Standing era GooDie cuts? That's one of my favorite albums ever...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Seriously? Big Boy's gonna put out a full album of Still Standing era GooDie cuts? That's one of my favorite albums ever...

no i'm just saying the goodie song on got that purp is from the still standing era.

no i'm just saying the goodie song on got that purp is from the still standing era.

Oh, okay...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The new Twista album is much more of a consistent album(beat and subject matter) wise than the last one, more songs about pimpin and that sort of thing.The standout cuts to me were.

1."Get it how you live" produced by scott storch.

2."Heartbeat" it's a conceptual piece i wont give away the TWIST in it.

3."Im a winner" the sexual prowess "cut"

I'm really checkin for this one.

The new Twista album in much more of a consistent album(beat and subject matter) wise than the last one, more songs about pimpin and that sort of thing.The standout cuts to me were.
    1."Get it how you live" produced by scott storch.
    2."Heartbeat" it's conceptual piece i wont give away the TWIST in it.
    3."Im a winner" the sexual prowess "cut"
    I'm really checkin for this one.

Thanks--I'm gonna have to check it out.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    3."Im a winner !!" his sexual prowess is "cut"
    I'm really checkin for this.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    3."Im a winner !!" his sexual prowess is "cut"
    I'm really checkin for this.

Ok you got me

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Mannie Fresh has been out of Cash Money for at least 3 months... Most of the people that were associated with Cash Money are jumping ship because Birdman is umm... nuts (according to the artists)... Birdman seems to be going the route of Suge these days...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Most of the people that were associated with Cash Money are jumping ship because Birdman is umm... nuts (according to the artists)...

Except for his 'son' right? I thought that development was a little strange myself...

• Mannie Fresh has been out of Cash Money for at least 3 months... Most of the people that were associated with Cash Money are jumping ship because Birdman is umm... nuts (according to the artists)... Birdman seems to be going the route of Suge these days...

Please do post examples of Birdman's antics.

Most of the people that were associated with Cash Money are jumping ship because Birdman is umm... nuts (according to the artists)...

Except for his 'son' right? I thought that development was a little strange myself...

"Weezie F. Baby" has a tattoo that says "Baby" on one side of his neck and one thats says "Slim" on the other... freaky.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I was really looking forward to Tha Carter pt. 2--I feel like Wayne's on the verge of something big.

does this have a release date yet? i think he's on xxl or something this month, so hopefully its coming soon.

dude is steadily becoming one of my favorite emcees.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Has anybody heard this new Twista album that apparently comes out today?

HMMMMMMM! I have not heard about this..but I hope it is true. Good For Mannie... Those cats have been eating off him for too long.

Co-

Fresh is definitely the word.

I was really looking forward to Tha Carter pt. 2--I feel like Wayne's on the verge of something big.

does this have a release date yet? i think he's on xxl or something this month, so hopefully its coming soon.

dude is steadily becoming one of my favorite emcees.

Oficially November 22, but who really knows.

You should check for his Dedication tape w/ DJ Drama if you haven't heard it.

• I didn't even know he had a new record. Kamikaze was one of my favorite records last year, but I also felt like he was on the verge of moving in a direction that I really couldn't get with... see that terd of a single "Hope".

Really? I was let down by Kamikaze. To me, Twista is like the major label version of Percee P. They both can consistantly drop a guest verse that'll steal the show (see Twista on "Poppin' Tags" or Too Short's "Quit Hatin'"),

and on the remix of Mobb Deep's "Got it Twisted".

Outside of cameos, I can't really mess with Percee P....oh yes I did say that.

I didn't even know he had a new record. Kamikaze was one of my favorite records last year, but I also felt like he was on the verge of moving in a direction that I really couldn't get with... see that terd of a single "Hope".

Really? I was let down by Kamikaze. To me, Twista is like the major label version of Percee P. They both can consistantly drop a guest verse that'll steal the show (see Twista on "Poppin' Tags" or Too Short's "Quit Hatin'"),

File under: most unnecessary Twista cameo ever.

• I didn't even know he had a new record. Kamikaze was one of my favorite records last year, but I also felt like he was on the verge of moving in a direction that I really couldn't get with... see that terd of a single "Hope".

explain. he murder that pucchini.

• choleracholera 101 Posts

explain. he murder that pucchini.

I remember that was around the time when Twista was one everyone's shit (or it seemed like it to me), so I'm guessing it was some label moves in order to promote him even more. Kinda unecessary and a bit obvious ('Don't Get It Twisted feat Twista, blah blah blah), but I still think he sounded nice on it. Then again, kind of hard to not sound nice on that beat. That remix was never released commerically, was it?