GOLF...

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
anyone here play? I recently bought a used set of Slazengers and a Big Bertha driver. I have only played 3 times in my life..two of those times on a par 3 course. I suck of course but wouldnt mind putting some practice in to get a little better. How long have you played? What kind of clubs do you use? Any tips for a golf newbie? Can I get decent at golf without looking like a yuppie prick?

Comments

• Welcome to your own personal hell. There are tons of tips and tricks and equipment that you will want become addicted to. I played a bit in high school. Have you played baseball? If so, the hips thing will be good.
    Two lil tips: let your weight go forward with your swing. Transfer your weight to your front foot with the swing. It should be like you're walking after you hit it, if you hit it.
    AND, just hit it ever so lightly. Dont try to crush it, just let gravity do the work. Light grip.

• Welcome to your own personal hell. There are tons of tips and tricks and equipment that you will want become addicted to. I played a bit in high school. Have you played baseball? If so, the hips thing will be good.
    Two lil tips: let your weight go forward with your swing. Transfer your weight to your front foot with the swing. It should be like you're walking after you hit it, if you hit it.
    AND, just hit it ever so lightly. Dont try to crush it, just let gravity do the work. Light grip.

yeah played baseball for about 8 yrs or so growing up...and its hard not to want to knock the shit out of the golfball like I am trying to hit a baseball. But thanks for the tips..I will keep that in mind.

yeah played baseball for about 8 yrs or so growing up...and its hard not to want to knock the shit out of the golfball like I am trying to hit a baseball. But thanks for the tips..I will keep that in mind.

so you played baseball. now forget those eight years of coaches telling you to keep your weight back. you'll slice that every time -- it feels like hitting a weak pop-up to shallow to right field (if you're a righty). you just hope it will drop in, but there are woods to the right.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    I was skeptical for years but once I jumped out there I was pleasantly surpised at how enjoyable it was .. I think the main tip is don't try to hit the ball like you're the strongest man in the world, you only need 70% or so power - the club does the work

If you want to improve, perhaps get a lesson or too to get the swing sorted
    sort out driving straight with your irons before moving onto the woods,
    and don't forget the short game either

• so you played baseball. now forget those eight years of coaches telling you to keep your weight back. you'll slice that every time -- it feels like hitting a weak pop-up to shallow to right field (if you're a righty). you just hope it will drop in, but there are woods to the right.

ha

so did you just go out and buy a used set or did you get fitted?

• so you played baseball. now forget those eight years of coaches telling you to keep your weight back. you'll slice that every time -- it feels like hitting a weak pop-up to shallow to right field (if you're a righty). you just hope it will drop in, but there are woods to the right.

ha

so did you just go out and buy a used set or did you get fitted?

I had a used set of Pings, the copper looking ones. They were sweet. I dont know that much, I dont think Ive ever broken 90, but they had a nice sweet spot. Honestly, Im sure the clubs have changed so much in the last five or six years, I couldnt tell you where to start. The old ones are ill, but maybe the new ones make it easier for beginners. But then you're swing wont be right. I dunno, get a lesson or two and ask the pro to recommend something. Just dont buy from the store. God luck man.

Sounds eerily reminiscent. I had the short game though. Golf career lasted like 8 months before I threw in the towel 'cause of that slice.

Hitting your ball from the adjacent fairway is