rare, really??

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Anybody else tired of sellers hyping rarity when they don't know what they're talking about? My local store owner keeps saying how rare latin music is. dude I've never seen *a* person of latino descent in your store. You don't have a latin music section, unless you count some wack 50s exploito bullfight LPs mixed in with belly dancing in the world section. Up until a few years ago you threw out harlem river drive. There's a large latino community around me and Cotique and fania were big sellers but they might as well be underground private pressings! NEXT: white sellers telling me JBs are the rarest shit they've ever seen.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anybody else tired of sellers hyping rarity when they don't know what they're talking about?

My local store owner keeps saying how rare latin music is. dude I've never seen *a* person of latino descent in your store. You don't have a latin music section, unless you count some wack 50s exploito bullfight LPs mixed in with belly dancing in the world section. Up until a few years ago you threw out harlem river drive.

There's a large latino community around me and Cotique and fania were big sellers but they might as well be underground private pressings!

NEXT: white sellers telling me JBs are the rarest shit they've ever seen.

Was Fania nationally distributed or was it an east coast thing?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    JB's are the rarest thing ive ever seen

• JB's areSome Puchinni I can poke out is the rarest thing ive ever seen

you get no play homie

• you get no play homie

haha....Young_Mackenstein:

Man I don't know if you've become a self-pardoy of yourself (like Reynaldo) or you're being serious.

You know I just like funnin' with the young kid. all fanny fun and games.

thats for me to know, and you to figure out

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    thats for me to know, and you to figure out

• relative rarity....

also another thing that throws people off. people see a canadian disco record floating around in st. louis (for exmpl) and think it is rare. in fact the record is entirely common and just didn't get midwestern distribution.

to me, 2,000 or less is rare.

• Options
    It's the record dealers way of saying killer pot. Just realize who's saying it.

K in Canada.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

to me, 2,000 or less is rare.

honesty makes the devil blush

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    all vinyls are rare. didnt you know? they dont even make them any more. You kids today!

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    I got rare coming out my rear right now

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    'desireablity' is a more important factor in the price equation than mere 'rarity' - plenty of records are basically impossible to find if you decided you wanted to 'cop' one, but are also pretty much worthless because no-one really cares...

---

• 'desireablity' is a more important factor in the price equation than mere 'rarity' - plenty of records are basically impossible to find if you decided you wanted to 'cop' one, but are also pretty much worthless because no-one really cares...

Definitely. S.O.U.L. or lyn collins actually sold pretty well, but they were so popular that most copies you find are beaters... not to mention it's just that good that 30 years later everybody wants it.

In that sense I specialize in some pretty worthless music.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    'desireablity' is a more important factor in the price equation than mere 'rarity' - plenty of records are basically impossible to find if you decided you wanted to 'cop' one, but are also pretty much worthless because no-one really cares...

Definitely. S.O.U.L. or lyn collins actually sold pretty well, but they were so popular that most copies you find are beaters... not to mention it's just that good that 30 years later everybody wants it.

In that sense I specialize in some pretty worthless music.

It's good to be into music that nobody liked either then nor now, without having or taste.