Options

Weekend Finds September 30th-32nd

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    k thanks for the info

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Mole came through with the heat via mail. Thanks dood, the Jackdaw melts my mind.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Sweet release

steppin the latin game up

ive heard that Chollo Rivera lp is

let a dude know how it is. theres a james brown cover on there right?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Local record show came through pretty legit today -

Mar-Keys - Great Memphis Sound - Stax [/b] mono WLP and a record I've been after for many a minute.

Black Fist - OST - Happy Fox [/b] not the greatest record, but a nice pull for that show, and a minty copy.

BDP - By All Means Necessary - Jive /B> think I only ever had this one on cassette and CD, nice to finally have the wax - super clean & cheap

Slick Rick - Great Adventures Of - Def Jam [/b] fairly rinked copy for $3

Zombies - Odessey & Oracle - Date [/b] YES! cover is toast, but vinyl looks unplayed. Copped for $7, like word.

Lamont Dozier - Bittersweet - WB [/b] moder soul asskicker

Yambu - Volume 1 - Montund [/b] same one in the pic posted above...was unpriced and got it for $2

couple other dollar pieces, Billy Larkin "Don't Stop" Crazy World of Arthur Brown, etc.

and a couple 45's

Clarenece Reid - I'm Sorry Baby/Let those Soul Sounds Play - Tayster [/b] ballad side is really strong, and the dance side is dope!

The Mauds - Only Love Can Save You Now/Sergeant Sunshine - Mercury[/b] these guys are usually on-point with the soul rock, but the a side is just ok and the flip is unlistenable. too much bubble gum.

Five By Five - Penthouse Pauper/15 Going on 20 - Paula [/b] this is some ILL garage from the guys who had the regional hit cover of Hendrix's "Fire" on the same label...a Paula label appreciation thread is overdue...country, psych, garage, soul, blues, funk...that label is the shit! These guys have a full LP that I now sweat.[/b]

And my personal e-dig of the year, on what was probably the 25th time bidding on a copy (and for the lowball price I always tried for):

http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/00/c1/8b_1_b.JPG" alt="" />

mono copy arrived two days later looking unplayed...

Zombies - Odessey & Oracle - Date [/b] YES! cover is toast, but vinyl looks unplayed. Copped for $7, like word.

damn you!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Late 70's + Roots Radics + Sylvan Morris Engineering + Harry J =

HOLY SHIT ---- I saw that wax for a quarter... totally slept on it.

Damn. Doesn't even look like something you would pass up if it was only a quarter. You more than slept. CHEAPSKATE.

woooo! there must be a reason why they jacked it for the INI cover huh ?

over the weekend I managed to find a nice clean copy of the McDonalds and Giles LP laying on the floor for HKD 20.

also got the King Crimson "Earthbound", its really not that bad. the drums are so gritty.

I went back on Sunday to cop the other copy...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

What's up with that Boris Gardner?

2). You got some very white socks. What detergent/bleach do you use?

1.) Total sappy MOR downtempo bullshit. Pretty disappointing, who would've thought this is the same dude that played on Heart of the Congos???

2.) Purex!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    here's some finds on sun 10.02

not a bad day IMO.

can anyone give me some info on that richard evans? other than he wears socks with sandals...

• Options

What's up with that Boris Gardner?

2). You got some very white socks. What detergent/bleach do you use?

1.) Total sappy MOR downtempo bullshit. Pretty disappointing, who would've thought this is the same dude that played on Heart of the Congos???

2.) Purex!

When Boris started singing, everything went downhill fast. Leave it to Cedric Myton, The Roots, or Ealr Sixteen would ya?

Sledgehammer is aight with a couple of funky tracks. The Boris Gardiner Experience witht hem on the rocks by the lake (with Melting Pot) is dope. "Every Nigger is a Star" soundtrack is

Other than those (and some 45's), I'd stay way from his stuff.

Kevin in Canada.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Yeah man this is WEAK. I'm guessing I can get more than $8 for it, so it's cool.

• ilkkailkka 31 Posts
    Here are some of my finds from August. I was travelling around Europe for 24 days with my friends and I managed to buy some records too. I found some records that I had been looking for a long time + some doubles/trades etc. Here are most of the LPs from that trip:

• Late 70's + Roots Radics + Sylvan Morris Engineering + Harry J =

HOLY SHIT ---- I saw that wax for a quarter... totally slept on it.

In Iowa??? This was a Toronto-only release on Big Mac/Soul Power Records.

K.

Question me if you will... I saw it. Iowa has some weird shit...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I believe it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Brought in some heat from the streets of PDX.

Alhambra knows the time. Everything is OG except the Sonny Rollins and Love Supreme, all unplayed, minty has fucking hell. THe McClean stuff is what's on the Mosaic box set. Truly ripping bop.

Early 70s reish steez cept Dollar Brand and the Leon Thomas. All mint, unplayed.

Finally hit upon some OG JA/UK joints. Top to bottom left to right.

Sly Dunbar- Sly, Wicked and Slick on Taxi (Sesame Street Dub like whoa)

Augustus Pablo- Original Rockers- Greensleeves JA press (Ain't No Sunshine dub)

Lord Laro- Souvenir Album of Lord Laro (private press headband roots)

Twinkle Bros- Love on Twinkle (Dread in the Ghetto, first reggae show for me 1985)

Heptones- Party Time (Upsetter prod, double)

Johnnie Osbourne- Warrior on Techniques

Count Ossie- Tales of Mozambique on Dynamic (seems like every strutter is hitting this up)

Ride Me Donkey- Various Artist Studio One (Feel Like Jumping- Marcia Griffiths, all backed by soul vendors aka Jackie Mittoo?)

Dennis Brown- Wolf and Leopards on Weed Beat

Brand Nubian- Slow Down (Pete Rock remix is )

Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus- Tibute to the Emperor (great weird record)

Various Artists- Hit Me with Music (Great funk/reggae jam Reggae Stuff by Matumbi)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus (great weird record)

I love this LP. Plaese to put me up on some similar artists/LP's.

Herm

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The Count Ossie is sort in the same vein although much rawer production. I really can't think of anything I've heard like it. It sounds like Rasta church music to me. Cool as hell.

• Blackstone Legacy is kinda dope. I picked that up for cheap a while back not knowing and was surprised by the 18-minute jazz-funk jam.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Is that a tribe horn sample from award tour at the start?

• Finally came up on this:

• Clifford Thornton ??? Communications Network
    Cymande ??? Second Time Around
    Cake ??? A Slice Of Cake
    Eddie Kendricks ??? My People???
    Pharaoh Sanders ??? Jewels of Thought
    Herman Kelley ??? Dance To The Drummer Beat 12???
    Bohannon ??? Insides Out
    James Brown ??? Hot Pants
    Lamont Dozier ??? Out Here On My Own
    The Counts ??? What???s Up Front
    Louis Hayes Group ??? Variety Is The Spice

• friendly saturday mailman provided the pick of the weekend:

lo borges s/t

record show yesterday was disappointing. still,

J Klemmer- Blowin Gold (Cadet Concept)
    Chakachas- Jungle Fever (polydor)
    George Duke- Aura will Prevail (MPS)
    Soft Machine- 4 (Columbia)
    Muhal Richard Abrams- Things to come from Those now gone (Delmark)
    Gordon Haskell- It is and it Isn't (Atco)- I was hoping this would be like McDonald + Giles or something. Side 1 didn't have me convinced, but Side 2
    has this bangin earthworm song followed by pretty acoustic sht.
    Emitt Rhodes- Mirror (Dunhill)- really feelin the 'Child of god' song
    Catfish Hodge- Boogieman Gonna get Ya (Eastbound)- this is pretty cool
    Cal Tjader- Hip Vibrations (verve)- word to 'theMack'

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Some stuff that I got yesterday...

• that bill dogget is hot. im gonna listen to that before i go to work

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    that bill dogget is hot.

• and D'angelo - She's always in my hair 12in white lable.

• Options

Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus (great weird record)

I love this LP. Plaese to put me up on some similar artists/LP's.

Herm

Ras Michael is rooted deeply in the dread culture of Warieka Hill and thus the music is bingi drum/chant based. Light of Saba/Cedric Brooks, the 2 Count Ossie's, Dadawah - Peace and Love and various 45's.

Easy, K.

• Options

Sly Dunbar- Sly, Wicked and Slick on Taxi (Sesame Street Dub like whoa)

What label is your on? I'm curious if there's any other pressings other than the Toronto Darace/Black Rose pressing. I lean to the disco infused "Oriental Taxi", Rasta Fiests (version of BAby I Love YOu So) and "Senegal Market Place" (version of JAckie's "Drum SOng") as my jams

Ride Me Donkey- Various Artist Studio One (Feel Like Jumping- Marcia Griffiths, all backed by soul vendors aka Jackie Mittoo?)

Jackie and Bobby Ellis were the leaders. They used various names such as Soul Borthers, SOul Vendors, The Jets, and Sound Dimension. OThers (line-up changed a coupel times):

Bobby Ellis - Trumpet
    JAckie - Organ/piano
    Bryan Atkinson/Jackie JAckson - BAss
    Dennis Campbell - Tenore Sax
    HArry Haughton/Ernest Ranglin - Guitar
    Joe Issacs - Drummer

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Taxi label, says made in Jamaica. Back sleeve says 1979 virgin records, London. Sleeve printed in England. Virgin logo at bottom of sleeve. And there's a sticker that says. Garand LTd, Closter NJ. Apparently, this baby got more daddy's than those girls on Full House.

BTW saw The Aristocrats last night and Saget was so foul. My favorite was either Sarah Silverman or Kevin Pollack as Christopher Walken.

Lastly, Lil Hommie on the Johnnie Osbourne LP with the Yankees lid on gets the major .