Options

Weekend Finds September 30th-32nd

edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Late 70's + Roots Radics + Sylvan Morris Engineering + Harry J = Never really known who BUnny and Ricky were, but I'd wager it's BUnny Clark(e) and some dude witht he first name Ricky ("Davis" perhaps). Regardless, buttery Lee Perry reworking of JUnior Byles "Beat Down BAbylon" complete with Perry Dub.Don't know if there's a bigger fan in the world. Sporty comes tough on the production/musical backing (which is likely a mish-mash of Jamaican and Maimi session musicians - quite possibly even the Oceanliners). A double, obviously.I wanna Go Outside Bomb of a track courtesy of Toronto dread.Gorgeous soul cover (Four Tops?) with stellar Charmers production. A double.K in Canada.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Gorgeous soul cover (Four Tops?) with stellar Charmers production. A double.

K in Canada.

Yeah, 4 Tops.

Hi K.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    crying for mommy,

M

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    so far this week

Oliver Sain[/b] Feels So Good" (HCRC) - thanks JP
    Charnissa[/b] "S/T" (Zeus) - thakns Groove70's
    Aurra[/b] "A Little Love" (Salsoul) - thanks guy at the listening station who decided he didn't want this

Going to Phoenix & Tucson in a few hours I plan to raid all the spots for new Jheri Curl funky love

• Options

Gorgeous soul cover (Four Tops?) with stellar Charmers production. A double.

K in Canada.

Yeah, 4 Tops.

Hi K.

Bonjour, K.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I love The Count.

• Better than records for me, I got a custom designed CD from my North Bay friend.

Jeff, man this CD is fucking awesome. And the Wally G drawing...

add:

OK dude I want a rough tracklist here, who sings "Desert Winds????

• Options
    I thought is was Boris KArloff.

K.

crying for *effy,

M

I hope my hcrink CD is in the mail when I get to my other locale....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Better than records for me, I got a custom designed CD from my North Bay friend.

Jeff, man this CD is fucking awesome. And the Wally G drawing...

add:

OK dude I want a rough tracklist here, who sings "Desert Winds????

haha!!! Rad!!!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    what's on the hcrink CD?

digging the cover art....

I posted the tracklist in this thread

• so jeff what did you do just put out different ones with different covers ?

btw that mix is totally

that shaggs track has changed my perception of life...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I posted the tracklist in this thread

now i want one.

but it is

that shaggs track has changed my perception of life...

HAHAHAHA!!!

yeah, I agree!

so jeff what did you do just put out different ones with different covers ?

The first ones, like you got, I just stamped. I kinda started drawing on them by accident - cause I mis-placed the stamping ink.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Back at home with the camera, getting ready for my first day of Jury Duty tomorrow.

Dakota Staton - Dynamic
    Gin Blossoms - Dusted
    Funkmaster Flex - Presents Silva Surfer (Massive B)
    Mr T Experience - Night Shift At The Thrill Factory (6th Int'l/Rough Trade)
    Teddy & George - At The Condor (Mammoth) - Who are these dudes??
    National Jazz Federation - Modern Jazz At The Royal Festival Hall (Decca UK - Early Dizzy Reece in London, Post Jamaica, Pre New York)
    Blossom Dearie - My New Celebrity Is You Vol.3(Rec 1 only, Rec 2 was warped, Got home & found I already had them both anyways, still good music though)
    Lester Young - The President (UK Pressing of Clef stuff, released on Columbia)
    Gene Ammons - In Sweden (Enja, this is good, Horace Parlan, Red Mitchell & Ed Jones)
    Music Minus One - Vol.3 (Nice Jazzy Backing Tracks with Don Abney, Mundell Lowe, Wilbur Ware & Bobby Donaldson)

Chi-Lites - Greatest Hits (Nice comp of Brunswick stuff)
    Andre Previn - West Side Story (Contemporary OG)
    Dakota Staton - More Than Most
    Headfirst - The Enemy (Workshed, 1990 Cali. Hardcore, this record is kinda metal though)
    GNP Records - Be Our Guest (OG GNP sampler with heaps of nice modern jazz)
    Eddie Kendricks - At His Best (Nice Eddie Comp of mid-late 70s stuff)
    Jaki Byard - Family Man (Muse)
    Black Nativity - Gospel On Broadway original Soundtrack (Vee Jay - cool gospel stuff from the Langston Hughes show)
    Pagan Babies - Next (Hawker - cool late 80's Philly Hardcore)
    Beach Boys - Party

Donald Byrd - Takin Care Of Business (TCB - this is good, with Herbie Hancock, Pepper Adams, Jimmy Cobb, Laymon Jackson)
    Stan Getz - Focus (Verve - nice clean OG copy of this cool record)
    Shirley Scott - For Members Only (Impulse - OG Mono Van Gelder, real nice with one side of Oliver Nelson arrangements & the other Shirley's trio)
    Wee Papa Girls - The Beat The Rhyme The Noise
    Nina Simone - Folksy Nina
    Jackson 5 - Lookin' Through The Windows
    The Stylistics - s/t
    Jobete Publishing - Top Ten Story In Sound (kinda interesting, an alphabetical megamix through 96 classic motown recordings, it was still sealed)
    Judas Factor - Ballads In Blue China (Revelation)

• got quite a few things this week, but the most notable ones in both formats I dug up...are
    LP

Meters "Look ka py py"(Josie) crisp and clean OG

Mary Lou "John Youre Wrong/Wish Someone Would Care"(cotillion)
    banging ass funky raw sister soul that can sit along side easily with Joanne Gayles,Betty Adams,Ann Sexton...any body really...really fucking good. With psych soul ballad on the flip...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I went to go look for records this week and the place (theeeee place) I always go to is gone.

awesome!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

thats all i got in the last week

I sold most of what I found already.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    that Donald Byrd LP is awesome.

• ouweeouwee 50 Posts

Caribbean Gay Torpedoes " tropical Fever" nice clean copy! mad funky!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    From the streets of CPH:

Massive respect to Aschrock for sending me Ted Moses (yes, A****w, indeed a slam dunk!) and Yamb??. And thanks for the jazz mag as well. I haven't had time to read it yet, but that Strata-East article looks dope, and it's always interesting to check out old reviews. Also big ups to Woody for the Young-Holt and Niemen trades. Several doubles in the bundle again. GamleOle holla if you want that Alice Clark.

A lot of pleasant surprises from unsuspected angles this week, besides the Aschrock hookup. The cheesy looking 'La Bamba' by Super Funky Discotheque/S. Van Holmen was a kronerbin gamble, but turned out to be a bona fide facemelter. The 21 minute b-side funk jammy called 'Lord Funk' = . Slinky James Brownish groove with horn riffing, organ noodling and group vocals. Didn't see that coming. Turns out it's El Chicles under an alias. This weeks top find, tied with Ted Moses.

Salsoul Explosion was another cheapo cheeze surprise. This is one for the disco heads. 'Double Action' and 'Soul Machine' are dope, midtempo spanish disco with some incredible heavy-sounding mixing. The rhythm section sounds really chunky, with the bass nice and loud.

But right now it's all about Archie Shepp and that '69 live version of 'Yasmina'.

• Late 70's + Roots Radics + Sylvan Morris Engineering + Harry J =

HOLY SHIT ---- I saw that wax for a quarter... totally slept on it.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    i'll floss the big dogs first...all og
    Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

The best of the rest:
    Pixies -- surfer rosa (UK og)
    Velvet Underground -- loaded
    Pere Ubu -- dub housing
    James Brown -- revolution of the mind
    Mar Keys -- memphis experience
    Legendary Rev. Gary Davis (on biograph)
    Rev. Gary Davis -- 1935-1947 (on yazoo)
    Mississippi Fred Mcdowell --delta blues
    Emotions -- blind alley 45

and more you probably don't want to hear

• From the streets of CPH:

Massive respect to Aschrock for sending me Ted Moses (yes, A****w, indeed a slam dunk!) and Yamb??. And thanks for the jazz mag as well. I haven't had time to read it yet, but that Strata-East article looks dope, and it's always interesting to check out old reviews. Also big ups to Woody for the Young-Holt and Niemen trades. Several doubles in the bundle again. GamleOle holla if you want that Alice Clark.

A lot of pleasant surprises from unsuspected angles this week, besides the Aschrock hookup. The cheesy looking 'La Bamba' by Super Funky Discotheque/S. Van Holmen was a kronerbin gamble, but turned out to be a bona fide facemelter. The 21 minute b-side funk jammy called 'Lord Funk' = . Slinky James Brownish groove with horn riffing, organ noodling and group vocals. Didn't see that coming. Turns out it's El Chicles under an alias. This weeks top find, tied with Ted Moses.

Salsoul Explosion was another cheapo cheeze surprise. This is one for the disco heads. 'Double Action' and 'Soul Machine' are dope, midtempo spanish disco with some incredible heavy-sounding mixing. The rhythm section sounds really chunky, with the bass nice and loud.

But right now it's all about Archie Shepp and that '69 live version of 'Yasmina'.

i'm stupid i know but what is the one spread out next to young holt unlimited ? that's can right ? which can record is that ?

funny i was just listening to sidereal time until about 3 minutes ago.

• some highlights of the month....
    quite possibly my new favorite reggae record...

nice soulfunk in vein of stylistics

barrinton (no g) levy no brainer

i knew fania put out some dope shit but this is just ridiculous...

paz

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i'm stupid i know but what is the one spread out next to young holt unlimited ? that's can right ? which can record is that ?

funny i was just listening to sidereal time until about 3 minutes ago.

No, that's Yusef Lateef - '10 Years Hence'.

• GamleOle holla if you want that Alice Clark.

I will do tomorrow afternoon. I just wanted to wait until I had time to write a proper reply. I have not had much spare time these last days. Looks like the streets of CPH ain't that bad;) I also got some new stuff that I have begun to list.

I came home with around 50 LPs. Mainly regular soul & boogie lps. everything was dollarbins, except for the two disco 12"s which was part of a trade/sale.

-brainstorm - funky entertainment - tabu

-players association - same - vanguard

-presenting the gary byrd expirience - rca

-Carol Williams - Love is you/come back - salsoul 12"

-alicia myers - just can't stay away/appriciation - mca 12"

doubles of stuff I already had.

-Lamont Dozier ???Right Here??? (Warner Bros.)

-Aquarian Dream ???Fantasy??? (Elektra)

-Brother to Brother ???Let Your Mind Be Free??? (Turbo)

-Albert King ???Same??? (Tomato)

-Listen ft. Mel Martin ???Growing??? (Innercity)

-Steve Arrington???s Hall of Fame ???1??? (Atalantic)

-The Eight Minutes ???An American Family??? (Perception)

etc.

• got some nice things all on the cheap side

king tee- played like a piano
    fela and ginger baker
    cymande 2nd time around
    syreeta
    left rev mcD- outlaw (a lil crackily)
    robin kenyatta- girl from martinique
    maestro fresh wes- let your backbone slide
    IV 1 5 Big Ocean Mob- Wrangler Tuff LP (this shit is damn good...burning spear and chakachas samples = cant miss)
    I love rock n Roll 12 " - my find of the week. i was asking around if this even existed and got blank stares. found a german pressing of it. nice.
    Smith Connection LP
    oneness of juju - every way but loose 12 (not bad bboyish bells intro...i never picked it up before)
    plush 12"- i dont know(where love comes from)/burnin love (are the LP cuts better than these?)
    ars nova ...i needed doubles of this. been waiting for a cheap copy
    rapperdappersnapper 12
    style- in tone we trustLP not very good. assassinator still the better song here
    zoetic allstarz 12 (eh 12" of philly 90s circuit group and they friends)
    ahmad jamal- awakening gatefold
    sly - a whole new thing
    french market jazz band (w/that nice lil break)
    ocho rios 12
    and some other random things that are already scattered about my place. spent about $50 total.

also got funky constellation 12 in the mail. dope dope dope

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

Very dope record, as featured in this fun article about digging for Dutch funk, even if you can't read Dutch it's still interesting for the sound clips (though some of y'all might already be familiar with most of these records).

http://www.theboombap.nl/theFeature/2004feature2-p1.php