broken beat anyone?

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Musicianship can exist within dancemusic; remember the Swell Session track 'music in her eyes'? the flip had a solid cut with absolutely decent soloing and I think it was considered broken.

Aser, Dubious isn't hating; he's calling it like it is.

I have that swell session record.......one of my faves.

I try to avoid using the word "hating", that's just another can of worms all together, and in hindsight, I should've left that out because it sidetracked the conversation.

I appreciate his honesty/strong conviction.........and I know broken is not for everybody. Just like any genre of music really.

but that doesn't mean I won't probe and ask questions to get a handle on why he doesn't like it. That's all I'm doing.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

you're now the second person on here from toronto to drop this "dude you are always so negative" on me... and that is freaking me more than a little.

Maybe instead of "freaking out" you should think about it.

why should i think about it??? i dont see you telling this to dann agreed / reitterated expanded on everything i've said on here.

I'm saying before you freak out (too late triple questionmark) about people saying you're always so negative, maybe you should take a step back and ask yourself "am I being too negative?". That is, unless you don't give a shit. And in that case then fuck it.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    very true, but there are different ways to arrive at the same point.

a) I don't like it, but I can see why it would interest other people

b) I hate it, and people who listen to that shit have terrible taste in music.

your being awfully simplistic there.

why cant somebody dislike something / state the reasons why and just leave it at that.

drawing the conclusion that because someone dislikes something means they dislike that person and think the person is stupid is going over the deep end.

totally agree....but to make the example abundantly clear, I had to illustrate two extremes of opinion.

as in life, there're a lot of grey areas.....and most people usually fall inbetween those two extremes.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

I'm not trying to convert you into something you don't dig, but you've been hating a lot lately on here. Pretty much every post I see you get involved in.....just wondering why dude?

now shit like this is on some other level.. dude i dont know you.. well i know your a dude on soul strut who's from toronto.. i dont know you in the real world, i dont know what you like / dislike.. and i certainly dont run a tally in my dome about what ratio of positive to negative posts you drop on here.

i have to admit, i usually really enjoy reading your negative posts. theyre appretiated! i agree with em pretty much always.. funny because i believe we have completely different tastes in music. but somehow we seem to dislike similiar stuff.

• I seriously don't expect many people to like BB at all. But its still surprising to see how much people are unwilling to accept something that doesn't fall into what they're already accustomed to.

Quite right. I'm accustomed to good music. I fully admit to a bias against anything that falls beyond this category.

Bring on the brokenbeat! I'm ready to keep on hating. Surely you've got something better than that awful piano track. After that debacle, I needed to listen to some Salsoul to remind myself that once upon a time people liked good dance music.

And lay off Dubious! Dude has offered more intelligent criticism than we usually see in this forum. I suggest all you brokenheads go and see him and DJ and learn what dancemusic is about. That is unless he's playing dumb-ass italo shit. Then you should stay away, because that's almost as bad as the massive piano line.

• Once I kicked a can down a flight of stairs.

I guess it sounded kinda cool.

But it wasn't music.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

To imply that musicianship doesn't exist in BB is ridiculous and speaks to your, for lack of a better word, ignorance of the genre.

cashless is think your confusing things here.. i ve stated repeatedly that i think the music is too musically laboured over.. it lacks spontanaity and relies too heavily on tricky / showey programming. its the opposite of lazy music, its hyper active UBER music.

i think where borken beat fall on its sword is that it prides itself on being intelligent / well thought out / technically sophisticated / rhythmically advanced / but then nobody seems to be able to make a track with anything but a rhodes / some raggamuffin vocals / girly vocals and jazzy piano chords. and of course the requitite sub bass / lazers

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I seriously don't expect many people to like BB at all. But its still surprising to see how much people are unwilling to accept something that doesn't fall into what they're already accustomed to.

Quite right. I'm accustomed to good music. I fully admit to a bias against anything that falls beyond this category.

Bring on the brokenbeat! I'm ready to keep on hating. Surely you've got something better than that awful piano track. After that debacle, I needed to listen to some Salsoul to remind myself that once upon a time people liked good dance music.

And lay off Dubious! Dude has offered more intelligent criticism than we usually see in this forum. I suggest all you brokenheads go and see him and DJ and learn what dancemusic is about. That is unless he's playing dumb-ass italo shit. Then you should stay away, because that's almost as bad as the massive piano line.

And with that, I'll leave you in your ignorance.

carry on playas.

• To imply that musicianship doesn't exist in BB is ridiculous and speaks to your, for lack of a better word, ignorance of the genre.

My fault; let me be more specific. I believe that the only musician I've thus far seen in this thread's brokenbeat tracls is bad musicianship.

Bring out the big guns! I want to go to end this day liking brokenbeat, really I do.

danno you rule

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

To imply that musicianship doesn't exist in BB is ridiculous and speaks to your, for lack of a better word, ignorance of the genre.

cashless is think your confusing things here.. i ve stated repeatedly that i think the music is too musically laboured over.. it lacks spontanaity and relies too heavily on tricky / showey programming. its the opposite of lazy music, its hyper active UBER music.

i think where borken beat fall on its sword is that it prides itself on being intelligent / well thought out / technically sophisticated / rhythmically advanced / but then nobody seems to be able to make a track with anything but a rhodes / some raggamuffin vocals / girly vocals and jazzy piano chords. and of course the requitite sub bass / lazers

That line was in reply to Danno. A lot of bad BB can be overdone. Alot of bad anything can be overdone.

It is what it is.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I suggest all you brokenheads go and see him and DJ and learn what dancemusic is about. That is unless he's playing dumb-ass italo shit. Then you should stay away, because that's almost as bad as the massive piano line.

You seem to have a different taste. There is some very good italo disco stuff out there.

• And with that, I'll leave you in your ignorance.

carry on playas.

No dude, don't leave me in my ignorence. I deserve better than that! Educate me. Show me what good broken beat can be.

Now if good broken beat is that piano track, then, having been exposed to the best, I can say with confidence that the best of broken beat is lame-o.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

this thread is ruffling people's skirts

btw - I don't really care for broken beat but I don't know enough about it TO JUDGE.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Time Will Tell.

• spcspc 534 Posts

I can understand you point, there are much tracks out there that I would describe like that, but there is also other stuff and I think much more to come. I just started working on track where I reprogrammed "play that beat mr. dj" and made it more broken, with 808 and synths and stuff. That would fall into your above description.

• You seem to have a different taste. There is some very good italo disco stuff out there.

Yeah, that's true. I like the good dumb-ass italo shit; it's the bad dumb-ass italo shit that makes me cringe. Man, I lived in Quebec for five years--how could I not have at least a passing appreciation for Italo disco?

• I have that swell session record.......one of my faves.

but that doesn't mean I won't probe

AY YO!

Day:

We need to end this arguement between Aser and Mr. Crab Apples. Post up that Flavor Flavor Brigette-as-Aser jump-off.

• spcspc 534 Posts

You seem to have a different taste. There is some very good italo disco stuff out there.

Yeah, that's true. I like the good dumb-ass italo shit; it's the bad dumb-ass italo shit that makes me cringe. Man, I lived in Quebec for five years--how could I not have at least a passing appreciation for Italo disco?

Then I got it the wrong way, sorry.

• I have that swell session record.......one of my faves.

but that doesn't mean I won't probe

AY YO!

Day:

We need to end this arguement between Aser and Mr. Crab Apples. Post up that Flavor Flavor Brigette-as-Aser jump-off.

Hey, this is me beef, too! I CLAIM THIS AS MY BEEF. I am a freedom fighter combatting the minions of bad dance music. I will not be vanquished. And so on and so forth.

Ok, now that I'm done being silly, here's an interesting obsevation: search for "sexy free jazz" under google's image search, and enjoy the sheer absurdity of the results. I'd post the best, but it's not work friendly.

nah man this is some good thread right hurr.

here's a link to Domu on the decks .. nice mix. fuck he even plays my shit in here...

which leeds me to:

if a broken beat Dj plays your track does that make it broken beat???

http://www.jigsawmusic.net/mixes/richg_jigsaw_feb.ram

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

what good dumb-ass italo shit is there? only track i ever liked is kano im ready i think, i know pretty much close to nothing about the genre tho. are there any other gems like that one?

• You seem to have a different taste. There is some very good italo disco stuff out there.

what good dumb-ass italo shit is there? only track i ever liked is kano im ready i think, i know pretty much close to nothing about the genre tho. are there any other gems like that one?

Really, I don't know. I was just covering my ass. My buddy Gui has played me some Italo 12"s that are nuts. It's just not something I mess with. I think Italo is 99.9% pure aural torture and the remaining 0.1% is barely worth sifting through the crap to find.

italo gems??

damn man where to start.

italo is like a disco diamond mine... lots of hard work digging through shit to find those sparkly nuggets.. but the stuff you find is so mind bogglingly perfect you go write back down in the pit for another round.. even if you only find one good one per million piles of dirt.

its also a sadly unrepresentative word

kano
    passengers
    klein and mbo
    telex

can all be called italo but only one is actually italian.

• spcspc 534 Posts

There are some nice re-releases on metro area's environ records and here and sometimes here.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

ouch, ive seen my 12" listed on a bunch of brokenbeat shows the last couple of weeks.. and juno.co.uk listed it as fucking nujazz!!

which leads me to this question: am i a broken beat superstar?

• spcspc 534 Posts

italo is like a disco diamond mine... lots of hard work digging through shit to find those sparkly nuggets.. but the stuff you find is so mind bogglingly perfect you go write back down in the pit for another round.. even if you only find one good one per million piles of dirt.
    So true, but the good thing is most of the not so perfect tracks are good for doing edits and making them perfect .

ouch, ive seen my 12" listed on a bunch of brokenbeat shows the last couple of weeks.. and juno.co.uk listed it as fucking nujazz!!

which leads me to this question: am i a broken beat superstar?

yeah i saw that too.

better than two reviews i just saw that describe my latest 12" as "an illicit bootleg re-edit"

and hell piccadilly sample spotted on my last release... and there is no sample i nthe track in question. next their gonna tell me my shitty drumming was lifted off some other record!

• Hey Dubious: put together an italo mix or i'll ban you.

So true, but the good thing is most of the not so perfect tracks are good for doing edits and making them perfect .

this reminds me i need to get some shit done.