Who runs www,popsike.com?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
and

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OK, you all know but you don't want to tell me. Fine. I'll have to ask them.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i think it's God.

Auction prices = predestination.

• i think it's God.

Bid Sniping = Intelligent Design

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    i think it's God.

Bid Sniping = Intelligent Design

Marcofunk = 666?

• Devils, that's who.

What was once a solid reference tool for rare ass records is turning into the internet equivilant of those corny ass price guides. Just 'cause some moron paid $100 for an Oscar peterson joint on Pablo from 1978 does not mean that record is WORTH $100. It just means there's another stupid ass collector out there with too much money and too little knowledge. My problem is they don't show the low end and alot of the shit on there has like 1 bid on a super high start price, showing only the desperation of the buyer.

Okay, I'm being too harsh. More likely they're angels. I know I've looked some cheesey record up from my collection that I was going to trade back to a store and been like whoah! And then put that fucker on Ebay faster than you can type "how much is shipping to France?". That sites made me some major loot.

As you can see, I have a love/hate relationship with popsike.

Deep beats and deep crates,

SonicReducer

• I'd like to see a site that archives all the Ernie's Legs, Elvis face grilled cheese sandwiches, livers, kilos of coke etc. that have appeared on ebay over the years.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i may not be so original in stating this, but has anyone coined the term:

POOPSEEK

just a thought for our lovely friends at popsike.com

type in poopseek and see what happens. while waiting for the page to load, close your eyes and state: "How Much is shipping to France?"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'd like to see a site that archives all the Ernie's Legs, Elvis face grilled cheese sandwiches, livers, kilos of coke etc. that have appeared on ebay over the years.

major co-sign!

• What needs to be done is a site like popsike but which includes EVERY e-bay auction and not just the ones that went for a certain dollar amount. Then you'd have a better guage of what stuff is going for.

• What needs to be done is a site like popsike but which includes EVERY e-bay auction and not just the ones that went for a certain dollar amount. Then you'd have a better guage of what stuff is going for.

i think they are starting to do that. i have noticed some auctions being listed for like 4-10 dollars.

i live by that shit since i discovered it. it's invaluable when selling a record you have no idea what it's worth. it's to be taken with a grain of salt but if you look up some record and like 15 copies in the last year all went for 200 then it's probably a 200 dollar record. ebay inflates prices like a mug but if you can get dough do it.

• What needs to be done is a site like popsike but...

Personally. I'd love see a fake site something like www.poopsike.org or www.popsyke.net that lists ridiculously low prices on rare records so people would be like "fuck it, this record's a cheap piece of dogshit" and get up off some of those raers.

SONIC

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    What needs to be done is a site like popsike but...

Personally. I'd love see a fake site something like www.poopsike.org or www.popsyke.net that lists ridiculously low prices on rare records so people would be like "fuck it, this record's a cheap piece of dogshit" and get up off some of those raers.

SONIC

who's got some tech skills to make this happen????

i've already stated my full-fledged support for poopseek.

• i live by that shit since i discovered it. it's invaluable when selling a record you have no idea what it's worth. it's to be taken with a grain of salt but if you look up some record and like 15 copies in the last year all went for 200 then it's probably a 200 dollar record. ebay inflates prices like a mug but if you can get dough do it.

Dave, why do you defend this site whenever it comes up? I really don't get why anybody would take popsike seriously as a tool otherwise.

• who's got some tech skills to make this happen????

i've already stated my full-fledged support for poopseek.

I'll see what I can do.

Here's how I see it working:

Step 1: punch in search
    Step 2: find ebay auctions to match description
    Step 3: add arbitrary number of decimal places to price

Are you ready for lonnie liston smith going rate of..... $1200.98??

i live by that shit since i discovered it. it's invaluable when selling a record you have no idea what it's worth. it's to be taken with a grain of salt but if you look up some record and like 15 copies in the last year all went for 200 then it's probably a 200 dollar record. ebay inflates prices like a mug but if you can get dough do it.

Dave, why do you defend this site whenever it comes up? I really don't get why anybody would take popsike seriously as a tool otherwise.

when I've been in the "I have no idea what this is worth" situation, and it's been listen on popsike, I've ended up getting 75-100% of the popsike price STRIKE>every/STRIKE> most of the time. It can be a resonable "tool" for selling.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Are you ready for lonnie liston smith going rate of..... $1200.98??

oh dear, i just listed one in my set sale for $8. i better go back quick and switch it out.

i'm wondering if popsike ever uses the totals from auctions where bidders put in fake bids- i'm thinking here of the time i did a large modern soul LP auction and had bids for $8000 - $20,000. Too bad that money wasn't real.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    except for that one record Jeff, remember?

I wish popsike's search engine could handle 3 letter words like rap, esg and kbd.

• From another popsike thread.

Me:

My problem is not with the site itself. I won't deny I check it from time to time. But the methods they used to select auctions to put in their database is very shady. They claim they can tell you "what are my records worth" but they're really not able to answer that.

If they kept a record of, say, all the auctions in the "records" sub-category, that would make more sense. Instead the people who run the site only load in auctions that meet certain (unknown to us) criteria.

Ebay is already a seller's market, and the site tends to make it worse by only listing high or out of the median sales. Especially for the real rarities that you might only see once or twice on ebay in a year, things that might go for 30 bucks or might go for 300 bucks, depending on who's paying attention.

I'm sure it's fine for pricing a copy of "headless heros". But for instance, to use lloyd mcneill again (artist du jour). There's no way for the average music consumer to know that his baobab LPs used to go for 10 or 20 bucks. So now they're up to the hyped level of his asha LPs.

Motown:
    A perfect example of how skewed Popsike is to the high end of auctions is a little search I just did for the Wild Racers OST. They only list 2 auctions, one for $76, the other for $61. Those are the highest prices I've ever seen for that LP. Usually it goes in the $20-40 range, but none of those auctions appeared.

Here's the auctions I've watched for that LP

$11.50 reserve not met

$48 no bids

$48.99

$42

$31.60

$36

$22.50

$32.51

A far cry from $61 & $76.

etc..

haha!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

haha!

I'd be a goddamned millionaire if popsike was right all of the time haha.

Aschrock, pm bout that one lp, thanks.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    What Ashrock said. It seems like if it goes for under $20 they don't list it. Plus they're sloppy with their listings because I've caught them with the wrong dates on a few auctions.

• To answer your question, some German dude runs it.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Popsike also inflates ending prices on their archives sometimes. I'm not sure if it's by mistake or whatever, but I know it happens.

• i live by that shit since i discovered it. it's invaluable when selling a record you have no idea what it's worth. it's to be taken with a grain of salt but if you look up some record and like 15 copies in the last year all went for 200 then it's probably a 200 dollar record. ebay inflates prices like a mug but if you can get dough do it.

it's kind of hard to defend a site but i think you guys criticism is weird, it's like you hate the site for some reason i don't get it. people up here are always like that criticizing shit finding bad shit about everything it's kind of weird.

dave

people up here are always like that criticizing shit finding bad shit about everything it's kind of weird.

I suspect hemroids.

• people up here are always like that criticizing shit finding bad shit about everything it's kind of weird.

I suspect hemroids.

You told!

IT NEEDED TO COME OUT!!!

• I have found out some bullshit records were worth money because of Popsike. If you are a seller it's good to know that at least someone out there will be interested in your record (as long as it has more than 1 bid).

I don't think it inflates prices because a buyer will pay what a buyer wants to pay regardless of it's "value" on popsike.

VIVA POPSIKE!!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I think the real hate of popsike comes from the fact that it makes too much information available to too many people, therefore making it harder for the real world record hustlers to get over on people that would have otherwise been ignorant of the (potential) value of their records. At least that is the impression I've gotten based on the type of people that have made their hate of popsike known.

Knowledge is power.

• Who runs www,popsike.com?

Reynaldo