NAS - Making of Illmatic video...

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.nobodysmiling.com/hiphop/showvideo.php?path=Nas-Making_IllmaticI think this was posted a year ago or something... for the heads who haven't seen it, ESSENTIAL VIEWING...peace.

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    GHETTO MONK!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dudes,

This shit makes me feel hella old...not just because I can remember when everyone was describing Nas as the "savior" and the "second coming," but because this just makes me feel hella nostalgic for the era that "Illmatic" appeared in.

• Dudes,

This shit makes me feel hella old...not just because I can remember when everyone was describing Nas as the "savior" and the "second coming," but because this just makes me feel hella nostalgic for the era that "Illmatic" appeared in.

we don't wax nostalgic for the golden era here. thought you knew Ol*ver?!?

• Anybody got a downloadable version of this? I need this for keeps.

• tell me about it... waxin nostalgic in a major way.

• Ouch.
    that shit really hurts. Good in a way that I'm so glad I have been a part of this, but sad too. know what I mean. Damn. I don't even know.

I love Hip Hop.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Ouch.
    that shit really hurts. Good in a way that I'm so glad I have been a part of this, but sad too. know what I mean. Damn. I don't even know.

I love Hip Hop.

ya, why nas doesnt go back and work with the doods that made him what he is, is beyond me. sure he wants to try new things, experiment, etc, but its been quite a few albums since then...and everyone is waiting for that nasir raw shit, anyone know the scoop on that NASDAQ DOW JONES shit?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    thanks Sheep! that was dope.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Nas is beyond doing ANYTHING to save his career. "Illmatic"'s legacy cannot be scarred so he's safe in that respect, but he needs to put the mic down. I was thinking that maybe the ONLY thing that dude could do that might redeem himself is do an album with Jay-Z. That's a terrible idea though. Jay would unquestionably outshine Nas and expose just how far God's Son has fallen into the realms of irrelevance and mediocrity. Nas still has moments of honesty and insight, but on the whole, he needs to stop rapping.

This video is effin' dope, though.

-e

• Nas is beyond doing ANYTHING to save his career. "Illmatic"'s legacy cannot be scarred so he's safe in that respect, but he needs to put the mic down. I was thinking that maybe the ONLY thing that dude could do that might redeem himself is do an album with Jay-Z. That's a terrible idea though. Jay would unquestionably outshine Nas and expose just how far God's Son has fallen into the realms of irrelevance and mediocrity. Nas still has moments of honesty and insight, but on the whole, he needs to stop rapping.

So true. Watching this reminded me how crazy I was about this record. I will remember the day we all hopped the bus on lunch to go cop it the day it dropped. nobody paid, we bombed the shit out of the bus to the point where it pulled over and made us all jet because the driver was calling police. Luckily that was two blocks from Leopolds (damn... Leopolds!). THAT REAL SHIT?

Anyways yeah, watching this also reminded me how terrible Nas is now, how much of a shell of this his records are now. It was so weird to hear "Made You Look", it really was a return to form... but since then... nothing. He's made good enough records, sure... but he will never ever be on that level (consistently) again. That shit makes me sad.

• thanks Sheep! that was dope.

There you go: web page

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

thanks Sheep! that was dope x2 [/b].

Wow, you dudes are cynical. I think Nas still shows a lot of shine and spine. He's never going back to "Illmatic" and I don't want him too. I mean, sure, I want to see him make better albums than he does now but despite his inconsistencies, he's still a "rapper's rapper" to me.

I wouldn't at all be certian that Jay would kill Nas on a joint album or the other way around. They're different kinds of MCs in terms of their appeal.

• I wouldn't at all be certian that Jay would kill Nas on a joint album or the other way around. They're different kinds of MCs in terms of their appeal.

Oliver are you serious? Come on now. Jay Z will beast Nas on any cut any day. Seriously, I can't name ONE dope cut he's done since "Made You Look". I don't mean "okay", I mean fucking DOPE. Up to his potential. On par with the greats. Not a one.

Jay, on the other hand, makes dope records all the time. without even trying.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Nas is beyond doing ANYTHING to save his career. "Illmatic"'s legacy cannot be scarred so he's safe in that respect, but he needs to put the mic down. I was thinking that maybe the ONLY thing that dude could do that might redeem himself is do an album with Jay-Z. That's a terrible idea though. Jay would unquestionably outshine Nas and expose just how far God's Son has fallen into the realms of irrelevance and mediocrity. Nas still has moments of honesty and insight, but on the whole, he needs to stop rapping.

So true. Watching this reminded me how crazy I was about this record. I will remember the day we all hopped the bus on lunch to go cop it the day it dropped. nobody paid, we bombed the shit out of the bus to the point where it pulled over and made us all jet because the driver was calling police. Luckily that was two blocks from Leopolds (damn... Leopolds!). THAT REAL SHIT?

Anyways yeah, watching this also reminded me how terrible Nas is now, how much of a shell of this his records are now. It was so weird to hear "Made You Look", it really was a return to form... but since then... nothing. He's made good enough records, sure... but he will never ever be on that level (consistently) again. That shit makes me sad.

Nas hatters unite

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Jay, on the other hand, makes dope records all the time. without even trying.

JP,

I don't want to get into a "he's dope" "no he's not" debate with you about this. I'm not questioning Jay-Z's hit-making potential, nor am I claiming that Nas doesn't make shitty records. But the idea that Nas is somehow incapable of greatness seems a little cynical to me.

I think "Thief's Theme" is dope, but no, not doper than "Made You Look." I though a lot of songs off the last Nas LP were dope. A lot were not.

In my book, Jay-Z has charisma for days over Nas. Has so since Day One. But I feel like a Nas/Jay-Z collabo could bring out the best in both artists and that Nas, in particular, could find a spark to really drop some ill shit. I mean, "We Major" gets hated on but Nas' verse on that song? DOPE:

I heard the beat and I ain't know what to write
    First line, should it be about the hos or the ice?
    Four-four's or black christ? Both flows would be nice
    Rap about big paper or the black man's plight
    At the studio consol asked my man to the right
    What this verse sound like, should I freestyle or write?
    He said, Nas, what the fans want is Illmatic, Stillmatic
    Picked up the pad and pencil and jotted what I feel
    Been like 12 years since a nigga first signed
    Now I'm a free agent
    And I'm thinking it's time
    To build my very own Motown
    Cuz rappers be deprived of executive 9 to 5s
    And it hurts to see these companies be stealing the life
    And I love to give my blood sweat and tears to the mic
    So y'all copped the LPs and y'all fiends got dealt
    I'm Jesse Jackson on the balcony where King got killed
    I survived the livest niggas around
    Lasting longer than more than half of you clowns
    Look, I used to cook before I had the game took
    Either way my change came like Sam Cooke.

• I just can't fuck with Nas. That verse to me is mediocre but I think I would like him more now if he hadn't been FUCKING AMAZING on his first record.

• Wow, you dudes are cynical. I think Nas still shows a lot of shine and spine. He's never going back to "Illmatic" and I don't want him too. I mean, sure, I want to see him make better albums than he does now but despite his inconsistencies, he's still a "rapper's rapper" to me.

I wouldn't at all be certian that Jay would kill Nas on a joint album or the other way around. They're different kinds of MCs in terms of their appeal.

i would tend to agree o, i mean alot of people hated when the beatles started to go all psychpop/eastern influenced, but for me thats the only beatles i like. Some heads out there probably love what he's doing now, and you gotta respect growth and change.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    That verse to me is mediocre but I think I would like him more now if he hadn't been FUCKING AMAZING on his first record.

• some asshole ex roommate of mine stole my nas illmatic lp and this thread has made me realize i miss it.

• AREARE 34 Posts
    man, those were good times. I have his bio that sony sent out right before his album dropped and I just had the Illmatic poster framed. At one point, I had gang starr's press kit which was real dope. It was sent out when they got down with Chrysalis and released step in the area. It had a dope video with it too. Damn I wish I knew what happened to that.

• man, those were good times. I have his bio that sony sent out right before his album dropped and I just had the Illmatic poster framed. At one point, I had gang starr's press kit which was real dope. It was sent out when they got down with Chrysalis and released step in the area. It had a dope video with it too. Damn I wish I knew what happened to that.

i do however have that gangstarr promo video....

• AREARE 34 Posts
    man I'd love to see that one again. A dub would be nice!

• Nas has a tight verse on the Damien Marely LP. Not Illmatic nice, but what do you expect?