AM GOLD

124»

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Paul Davis - "I Go Crazy"

• BTW,as if anyone really cares........

THEY KILLED OLDIES FM CBS 101.1 in NYC one of the FEW PLACES TO HEAR AM GOLD

shit. these fucks just took over our only golden oldies station too. fuck this bullshit.

Yeah, but payback is a bitch, though...a generic commercial-alternative station just switched to all oldies, and now all these Coldplay fans are bitching and moaning...

• THIS THREAD HAS A SERIOUS DEARTH OF THREE DOG NIGHT!!![/b]

Not quite - I took care of that in an earlier thread.

Now here's AM GOLD - THE (MOSTLY FAKE) REGGAE EDITION:
    DESMOND DEKKER & THE ACES "Israelites"
    PAUL SIMON "Mother & Child Reunion"
    J. GEILS BAND "Give It To Me"
    LED ZEPPELIN "D'yer Maker"
    DAVE & ANSELL COLLINS "Double Barrel"
    JIMMY CLIFF "Wonderful World, Beautiful People"
    BLUE HAZE "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"
    ERIC CLAPTON "I Shot The Sheriff"
    STEVIE WONDER "Boogie On, Reggae Woman"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    THIS THREAD HAS A SERIOUS DEARTH OF LEO SAYER AND THREE DOG NIGHT FOLLS!!![/b]

Aiiight, then:

-"Old Fashion Love Song", "Easy to be Hard", and "Joy to the World".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Paul Davis - "I Go Crazy"

I AM GOING TO SAMPLE THE SCHITT OUT OF THIS RECORD ONE DAY. Boring and uninspired? No. Boring and VERY inspired!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    BTW,as if anyone really cares........

shit. these fucks just took over our only golden oldies station too. fuck this bullshit.

Yeah, but payback is a bitch, though...a generic commercial-alternative station just switched to all oldies, and now all these Coldplay fans are bitching and moaning...

what station?

• Wondering did anybody say

"Sentimental Lady" by Bob Welch[/b]

better than the F.Mac Bare Trees version.

F'in stellar.
    A 3-hit intro tom fill and he's in with

[color:purple]
    You are here and warm
    But I could look away and you'd be gone
    Cause we live in a time
    When meaning falls in splinters from our lives
    And that's why I've travelled far
    Cause I come so together where you are
    And all of the things that I said that I wanted
    Come rushing by in my head when I'm with you
    14 joys and a will to be merry
    And all of the things that we say are very
    Sentimental gentle wind
    Blowing through my life again
    Sentimental Lady
    Gentle one
    [/color]

You want to give a 43 year old lady 14 joys, just drop this one.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Let 'Em In - Wings

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Paul Davis - "I Go Crazy"

I AM GOING TO SAMPLE THE SCHITT OUT OF THIS RECORD ONE DAY. Boring and uninspired? No. Boring and VERY inspired!!!

Yeah.. I was going to remark that the synth stabs at the end are MAD MOODY!

what station?

I believe it's the station formerly known as "The Zone" - 94.7??

I should mention that this is in Chicago...

what station?

It's good to hear that as one dies, a new one is born, but damn. Magic 104.3 was around since I was a small child. I think it even predates my existence.

what station?

It's good to hear that as one dies, a new one is born, but damn. Magic 104.3 was around since I was a small child. I think it even predates my existence.

On the one hand, you're right - 104.3 was the soundtrack of seemingly every old-school diner in Chitown, both retro and OG, and it will be missed. But then again, I kinda prefer WRLL (1690 on the AM), because they dig deeper and they don't neglect the fifties. (For the last few years of its' life, 104.3 focused on the sixties and seventies exclusively.)

what station?

On the one hand, you're right - 104.3 was the soundtrack of seemingly every old-school diner in Chitown, both retro and OG, and it will be missed. But then again, I kinda prefer WRLL (1690 on the AM), because they dig deeper and they don't neglect the fifties. (For the last few years of its' life, 104.3 focused on the sixties and seventies exclusively.)

true, in the past few years, they have started sounding more and more like 97.1--playing more and more classic rock, and that was probably due to being worried about their target audience

• How can you dudes not mention:

Steely Dan: Fez

and these dudes

and MR. "I thought he was Black" aka THE FAUX_RILLZ OF THIS SHIT: BOBBY FUCKING CALDWELL

• Blues Image - "Ride Captain Ride"

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Blues Image - "Ride Captain Ride"

That's a good one! I didn't know that was Blue's Image!

Loggins & Messina "Danny's Song" (Even though we ain't got money / I'm so in love with ya, honey... YESSS)
    Crosby Stills "Our House" (Okay, urrrbody sang along... Ourrrr house / Is a veryveryvery fine house / with 2 cats in the yard / life used to be SOOO hard / now everything is easy cuz of yoooouuuuu... CLASSIC.)
    Five For Fighting "Superman" (it ain't just about the old schitt, mane... this new pap gets my juices flowin' too! )

• mmmmmm, where's Joe Walsh? "life's been good to me"? singing about maseratis and lost licenses?....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Crosby Stills "Our House" (Okay, urrrbody sang along... Ourrrr house / Is a veryveryvery fine house / with 2 cats in the yard / life used to be SOOO hard / now everything is easy cuz of yoooouuuuu... CLASSIC.)

Hey Phill,

I got to see these cats live at the Bradley Center 2-3 years ago. Me and wifey were but few Black folks there (people need to broaden their minds!!!!). Even though they're getting up there in age, they still rocked it. David Crosby didn't look or sound like a guy that had been near death. Neil Young and Steve Stills were on those axes, bro!!! Graham Nash is buttery smooth vocally. Amazing performance and group. I'm a HUGE fan!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Phill,

I got to see these cats live at the Bradley Center 2-3 years ago. Me and wifey were but few Black folks there (people need to broaden their minds!!!!). Even though they're getting up there in age, they still rocked it. David Crosby didn't look or sound like a guy that had been near death. Neil Young and Steve Stills were on those axes, bro!!! Graham Nash is buttery smooth vocally. Amazing performance and group. I'm a HUGE fan!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

YO! Did they do "Wooden Ships"???

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Andrew Gold - Lonely Boy

This is why I love watching VH1 Classics...

Hey Phill,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

YO! Did they do "Wooden Ships"???

YEP!!!!! It sounded just as good in person too.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Ray Stevens - "The Streak"[/b]

Dickie Goodman - "Mr. Jaws"[/b]

Hurricane Smith - "Oh Babe, What Would You Say"[/b]

Hot Butter - "Popcorn"[/b]

Byron MacGregor - "The Americans (A Canadian's Opinion)"[/b]

BREAD.

These dudes were DOPE. "Everything I Own", "If", "Make It With You", "Baby I'm-A Want You". AM gold personified.

"I would give everything I own / give up my life, my heart, my home / I would give everything I own / just to have you back again". YESSS.

I haven't heard the N-Sync version, but I just know that the Bread OG schitts all over it (sorry JT lovers... I do have a copy of his solo cd, though, and I like it. I'm not totally stuck BITD).

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    How about AM Gold that you loved that got killed by commercials/movies/puff daddy usage, etc...

my #1, I fucking LOVED this song until it became "Comeback Song of the Year, 2002!"

Now I can't hear it without feeling like I'm chewing on tinfoil...

Why do fools get so put off by comeback trends? This song "came back" because it never left our skulls. It's always been there. It's always been awesome. It should always be played.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This thread took me baaaaaaaaaack, jerry! So many gems in here. That Bob Welch was a :face_melt:

But no love for Cool Night? They played the hell outta this on the radio growing up ( who has an mp3? I looked all over and all I could find was "sung in the style of" karaoke bullschitt)

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    day said:

But no love for Cool Night? They played the hell outta this on the radio growing up ( who has an mp3? I looked all over and all I could find was "sung in the style of" karaoke bullschitt)

Oh hell yeah. Cool Night definitely held a place of honor on one of my lite rock mixes.

Enjoy.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Thanks man. I've been going in on these all week. First time DJing a whole night like this. Should be fun.

AmBROsia overload. These dudes kind of exemplify this whole thing (next to gawds McDonald, Loggins and Cross)

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:

BREAD.

ALSO THIS.