getting the led out

Comments

• When I moved to the US in 1988, my tracksuit wearing self was lumped in with the stoners on my school bus (it was your average segregated New England city) Thus I was introduced to this band I had previously only seen on a t-shirt worn by the singer from The Cult. But I liked em for a couple of years. Got into I, II and IV, Houses of the Holy. Physical Grafitti not so much bit Kashmere is cool. Then there was this other band everyone was into called the Grateful Dead and they sucked major ass. Never heard such contrived crap before.

Whatever about Zep stealing... they were from the midlands, it comes naturally.

Oh and that trippy video for No Quarto?? or was Song remains??? that was dope.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Which Bo Diddley songs did the VU record and retitle (taking writers credit)?

like I said, Zep was more obvious but I don't see it as any more offensive... Louie Reed would intentionally steal bits of doo-wop and R&B songs here and there, its ALWAYS done, NONE of the greats are innocent in this respect... and I think its hilarious that Zep would steal from the Small Faces too, now thats ballsy

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    The Cult

stealing from the thieves.

"baby baby baby baby baby baby baby" >> from "Love removal machine"

• The Cult

stealing from the thieves.

"baby baby baby baby baby baby baby" >> from "Love removal machine"

The main thing Ian Astbury stole was how to look like you get mad puccini in a world surrounded by androgynous new wavers. The vocals were secondary.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    so people get mad that they "stole the blues?" i'm not a big fan or anything, but jimmy page could chop the fuck out of some gitbox... i don't even have one album anymore, but people who front on them, make me shake my head the same way i do at those who disrespecfellate the beatles.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    i've yet to run across a someone who hasn't been thru that 'phase'

Hi.

hey. so what's kept you from zep J?

I spent my musically formative early-teen years 1) living in small towns and 2) listening to punk, both of which are--for better and for worse--scenes that present musical taste as a zero-sum game, and one that's laden with cultural affiliation: If you like this, you don't like that, if you're not with us, you're with them, etc. To listen to Zeppelin was not just to listen to Zeppelin, but to align yourself with, you know, "the Zeppelin crowd." And I used to fight those heshers in the parking lot, man--fuck if I was gonna listen to the same records they did.

These days I of course recognize all that shit as folly, but while I no longer think in lines that straight, nor am I as receptive, either. I do what I can to not close myself off, but they call them "formative years" for a reason, you know? I mean, I might listen to some Zeppelin, but I doubt I'll ever Listen To Some Zeppelin.

• i've yet to run across a someone who hasn't been thru that 'phase'

Hi.

I spent my musically formative early-teen years 1) living in small towns and 2) listening to punk, both of which are--for better and for worse--scenes that present musical taste as a zero-sum game, and one that's laden with cultural affiliation: If you like this, you don't like that, if you're not with us, you're with them, etc. To listen to Zeppelin was not just to listen to Zeppelin, but to align yourself with, you know, "the Zeppelin crowd." And I used to fight those heshers in the parking lot, man--fuck if I was gonna listen to the same records they did.

These days I of course recognize all that shit as folly, but while I no longer think in lines that straight, nor am I as receptive, either. I do what I can to not close myself off, but they call them "formative years" for a reason, you know? I mean, I might listen to some Zeppelin, but I doubt I'll ever Listen To Some Zeppelin.

Does that mean you're done Hearing music? I hope that's not true.

I also haven't really listened to Zep like that. Just haven't had the time, I guess. I can't wait, though. I'm taking that class 7th period.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    If you like this, you don't like that, if you're not with us, you're with them, etc. To listen to Zeppelin was not just to listen to Zeppelin, but to align yourself with, you know, "the Zeppelin crowd."

that's retarded man..

5th grade. Babe I'm gonna leave you on an old tape I found.

Then again in high school with Immigrant song blazing at bboy jams.

- spidey

• My older brother got me into Zep when I was in 5th grade, in 1987. He was always listening to it, and when black dog came on he would pretend I was the guitar and tickle my stomach like it was the strings and then he'd stop during the singing and just be still until the riff came on and he'd tickle me again.

I remember hearing "Heartbreaker" coming out of his bedroom and for the longest time I thought he was listening to Michael Jackson's "Bad".

Me and my friend Tim Monk thought we were the coolest because we were the only kids listening to Zep and classic rock in 5th grade.

I listened to them for years and never got tired of it.

My younger cousin started taking guitar lessons from me a couple years ago (when he was 18) "because he wanted to be a rock guitarist" and somewhere during the second lesson I mentioned how Jimmy Page always recommended using really light strings. He said, "Who?".
    "Jimmy Page."
    " "
    "From Led Zeppelin."
    " "
    " You want to be a rock guitarist and you don't know Led Zeppelin!!??""
    " "

I could not believe that an 18 year old music lover and aspiring guitarist in America had never heard of Zeppelin. How does this happen? It was an apocalyptic moment.

He learned quickly and was soon asking to learn solos from "how the west was won", and now I hear chords from "Over The Hills..." every time he signs on or off AIM.

Don't sleep on How The West Was Won and The BBC Sessions

I just found out www.led-zeppelin.com is pretty cool too. Nice tribute to Bonham.

"When The Levee Breaks" is so real right now.

I never doubted they sold their souls to the devil.

Favorites - The Rover, In The Light

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    never listened to them beyond radio

• My older brother got me into Zep when I was in 5th grade, in 1987. He was always listening to it, and when black dog came on he would pretend I was the guitar and tickle my stomach like it was the strings and then he'd stop during the singing and just be still until the riff came on and he'd tickle me again.

I remember hearing "Heartbreaker" coming out of his bedroom and for the longest time I thought he was listening to Michael Jackson's "Bad".

Me and my friend Tim Monk thought we were the coolest because we were the only kids listening to Zep and classic rock in 5th grade.

I listened to them for years and never got tired of it.

My younger cousin started taking guitar lessons from me a couple years ago (when he was 18) "because he wanted to be a rock guitarist" and somewhere during the second lesson I mentioned how Jimmy Page always recommended using really light strings. He said, "Who?".
    "Jimmy Page."
    " "
    "From Led Zeppelin."
    " "
    " You want to be a rock guitarist and you don't know Led Zeppelin!!??""
    " "

I could not believe that an 18 year old music lover and aspiring guitarist in America had never heard of Zeppelin. How does this happen? It was an apocalyptic moment.

He learned quickly and was soon asking to learn solos from "how the west was won", and now I hear chords from "Over The Hills..." every time he signs on or off AIM.

Don't sleep on How The West Was Won and The BBC Sessions

I just found out www.led-zeppelin.com is pretty cool too. Nice tribute to Bonham.

"When The Levee Breaks" is so real right now.

I never doubted they sold their souls to the devil.

Favorites - The Rover, In The Light

Who the fruck is this Led Zepplin guy? Is he German? I don't know shit about German rock.

Seventh grade I started listening to my parents copy of Led Zepplin. I remember the stoners talking about Led Zepplin 4 but I could never figure out which one that was(because it said zoso) . I still like them and love their breaks but the guitar playing is too much for me (especially live). I tell you though I really wish somebody would eliminate stairway to heaven from the annals of musical history. It's played the fuck out.

• *The more original r&b/blues/jazz/funk/soul/rock/etc I listened to, the more I realized how much hip-hop stole. It was making me sick...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I love all the people on here that will go on and on about how some 45 that they pressed 15 copies of is the best music in the world yet.................

Led Zepplin and the beatles suck.

right.

• Jimmy Page visited Amoeba LA recently. He was looking for:

I bullshit you not.

and +

• ...and that was my 333rd post. Half of Aleister Crowley's favorite number.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I am sure that I heard Zeppelin on the radio in the early 80s but it never really registered until I was in highschool. Summer of 1985 this chick dumped my ass at a party where they had thousands of lp neatly stacked in a room. All night they were playing the Ventures and doing beer bong loads. I was miserable but stuck at the party with no way home. I went digging through the stacks. Zeppelin I just appeared to me like an angel. I played "Baby, I gonna leave you" ten times in a row. Bitch did not even flinch. I still love that record. Your Time is Gonna Come is still my jam.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    We had a ravine behind the school and in the winter we all would take a running start and then go whipping down on our feet or by sitting on tattered pieces of cardboard. It wasn???t really toboganning seeing as it was more a small incline and not an actual hill. Well, Irving hit a piece of ice on one of his runs and tore the back of his leg open from the behind his knee up to under his butt.

i actually saw the same thing once when i was sledding as a kid; a wooden peg in the ground ripping thru someone's cheap ass sled and then ripped thru their pants and then ripped thru their leg. gross.

i was always more into Hendrix and Cream...

• i fucking hate zeppelin and always have.

co-fucking-sign.

I think it was all the pathetic hippy stoner posers who liked it in highschool. Also ruined jimi for me for a long time, so we'll see if i come around to Zep, plus my girl loves them.

i fucking hate zeppelin and always have.

co-fucking-sign.

I think it was all the pathetic hippy stoner posers who liked it in highschool. Also ruined jimi for me for a long time, so we'll see if i come around to Zep, plus my girl loves them.

Don't know how they would ruin jimi for you... but I always thought Zep was good, but for me Plant always got in the way. Page was the real talent.

• Bonzo was the man.
    Considering I had a 5 year rock phase at school,never really got into them untill a couple of years ago when i went mental for them.Buying every book,DVD,LP that I could get my grubby little mitts on.The Battle of Evermore is where it's at.

Over it now though.

"I learnt Stairway to Heaven when I was 18.Jimmy Page didnt even write it 'till he was 21."

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    i've yet to run across a someone who hasn't been thru that 'phase'

Hi.

I also haven't really listened to Zep like that. Just haven't had the time, I guess. I can't wait, though. I'm taking that class 7th period.

Hey, Mike. What's good?

Nah, I'm certainly not done Hearing music, but at the same time, I'm not a teenager, either. I still have that kind of enthusiasm, and I do still occasionally hear stuff that unfastens my chinstrap and watercolors all my waking time and that I listen to for days on end, but the fact is that said enthusiasm is now acted out against a much more complex backdrop--and filtered through what I hope is a more complex mind--than it was back then. I look at it like this: When you're young, your musical taste is a triangle. The first music that comes along and really knocks you sideways adds another angle, and your taste becomes a square. Whatever next gets your nose open makes it a pentagon, and so on. That first handful of metamophoses is pretty seismic, and each one changes your whole fucking channel, clearly and irrevocably. As time goes on, though, and as your taste develops more and more angles of increasingly finer grain, and feelings of "Man, I like this 'hip-hop' shit!" get replaced by feelings of "Man, I like this 'late-1960s Brazilian soft-psych' shit!", and you're less and less about making whole new shapes, and more and more about refining a perfect circle, which--although it may never have the blantant angularity and wholly tranformative punch of that first triangle-into-square--is ultimately a much more nuanced and sublime thing.

And that's kind of where I'm at. Music used to be my earthquake, now it's my weather.

• i've yet to run across a someone who hasn't been thru that 'phase'

Hi.

Hey, Mike. What's good?

Nah, I'm certainly not done Hearing music, but at the same time, I'm not a teenager, either. I still have that kind of enthusiasm, and I do still occasionally hear stuff that unfastens my chinstrap and watercolors all my waking time and that I listen to for days on end, but the fact is that said enthusiasm is now acted out against a much more complex backdrop--and filtered through what I hope is a more complex mind--than it was back then. I look at it like this: When you're young, your musical taste is a triangle. The first music that comes along and really knocks you sideways adds another angle, and your taste becomes a square. Whatever next gets your nose open makes it a pentagon, and so on. That first handful of metamophoses is pretty seismic, and each one changes youe whole fucking channel, clearly and irrevocably. As time goes on, though, and as your taste develops more and more angles of increasingly finer grain, and felings of "Man, I like this 'hip-hop' shit!" get replaced by feelings of "Man, I like this 'late-1960s Brazilian soft-psych' shit!", and you're less and less about making whole new shapes, and more and more about refining a perfect circle, which--although it may never have the blantant angularity and wholly tranformative punch of that first triangle-into-square--is ultimately a much more nuanced and sublime thing.

And that's kind of where I'm at. Music used to be my earthquake, now it's my weather.

I like this analogy. A lot.

Now go listen to Immigrant Song.

• I dont know, saying you hate Led Zep but like rock music, is like saying "I like funk music, but I hate James Brown"....YES those two phrases carry the same amount of gravity. Dont tell me otherwise, because if you do, well then you dont really like rock music...and I dont give a fuck about a bazillion jepgs of some crappy private press/indie bellbottom rock raers that might get posted as to show us what "real rock music" is...

as to the Jimmy Page stole everything argument...rock music is stolen, all of it basically, so that point is moot...save it. Dude could rock a riff, period.

find me a better rock drummer...please I wanna hear a rock drummer with a better sound and who understood what the pocket was...Mitch Mitchell comes in a very close second, but Bonzo is the shit.

find me a more talented multi-instrumentalist in rock than John Paul Jones...

ok I can buy your arguments of you dont like Plant, I like him, but I could understand if you dont...that is their weakest link, but 3 badasses out of 4...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    cosign like a mutha fucka

i got into zep when i was around 12 or 13. so its been 17 years of constant zeppelin rockin.

page was the guitarist who made me want to learn how to play...

i still think zep were the single most influential group on my own musical path.

the immediate appeal was obviously page and all his riffs but the band is sooooo much deeper than that... dudes studio wizardy is untouchable.. coupled with the secret weapon - john paul jones and the greatest rock drummer of all time... damn.. shit is untouchable.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I dont know, saying you hate Led Zep but like rock music, is like saying "I like funk music, but I hate James Brown"....

no.

just no.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

the immediate appeal was obviously page and all his riffs but the band is sooooo much deeper than that... dudes studio wizardy is untouchable.. coupled with the secret weapon - john paul jones and the greatest rock drummer of all time... damn.. shit is untouchable.

The drum sounds that Jimmy and Bonzo got on "Kashmir" and "In My Time of Dying" are boombapalicious and

Poughkeepsie's been the epicenter of Classic Rock for as long as I can remember (WPDH listeners stand up!), so I have no problem with "getting the led out" or getting my "daily dose of VH" on.

• I dont know, saying you hate Led Zep but like rock music, is like saying "I like funk music, but I hate James Brown"....

yes.

just yes.

• My mom had Zeppelin I in her collection so I've been into them for a while. Had a chance to see them in 1977 but was just starting to go to concerts and didn't go. Besides Bob Marley that's the only concert I really regret not going to.
    Do yourself a favor and check out the live DVD they put out last year. Amazing shit.

On a side note there's a song on the Bunny O'Hare soundtrack called "Put a Little Lead in Your Zeppelin" that smokes. Check it:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Trew,

I was introduced to Led Zeppelin by my uncle Phillip, who played me and my brother "Houses of the Holy" back around 1977. I felt the greatness even as a tender 8 year old.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak