Secrecy in Digging...

2»

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Sheep man, I hear you, and respect where you're coming from. But the secret squirrels present a bit of a problem.

What I'm wondering is, how long is something supposed to stay a secret? If someone listens to one of your secret squirrel clips, and says "dang, I copped that at Hard Off months ago!", are they to keep it a secret too? Or if someone wins an auction for a "secret squirrel", are they to keep the secret torch burning?

Funky Worm,

4 real, im all about sharing the information. i dont know if you remember that site TASMAN CONNECTION i did. i came under major attack from more than a handful of respected local djs and old school has been dudes because of it. i still cop flack over it. fact is i moved to japan, didnt have access to australian records, realized most of the aussie records are shit and got over people emailing me asking the same ol shit...

and i dont really care about the secret squirrels if you know what they are... thats my hustle and i was just saying PERSONALLY i gotta keep it tight because Muros hommies hipped me to a few of those and dont wanna put the knowledge out there like that outta respect. at the same time, i wouldnt go and blab about RAJs secret squirrels over the net or SOULMANS secret squirrels just outta respect.

but by all means do your thing. you know we both got different tastes as to what we consider dope or not, open drums or not anyhow, most of the files u sent me are of different taste to what ive dug so i would even like to check out what youre coming up on.... hit me up for that dig dude!! good luck.

peace.

so muro has a dope collection of japanese stuff? its always kind of bugged me that he never really played any japanese stuff on his mixtapes. his tapes pretty much sounds like the american ones... maybe that american funk sound is exotic to him? like the japanese sound is exotic to us..

and talking about japanese records, i really really need that red drum record that was up for auction like last month. double lp, a great illdutchjapanesemohawksraer. with a couple of drumbreaks in 140 bpm, so it wasnt that great for the sampler but the music seemed to be amazing...

its crazy how fast most of the drumbreaks ive heard from japan are, i wish more of em were around 110 bpm:ish and not 140!! but then again, my knowledge about those records comes pretty much 100% from ebay. maybe you guys are keeping all the midtempo breaks to yourself!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    sharing info is good.

yes.

pineapple is also very good for the skin. and it is delicious!

• sharing info is good.

yes.

Aaah, but never ever eat an unripe one or your bowels will horribly unload quite dramatically. So my sis the nurse once told me.

sharing info is good.

yes.

Aaah, but never ever eat an unripe one or your bowels will horribly unload quite dramatically. So my sis the nurse once told me.

i hate the way it makes my lips sting, too. but still, so delicious!

mexican pineapple pop is my favourite soda - but that has not even a rind of real pineapple in it!

• sharing info is good.

yes.

A couple months ago I was in the States, and I went to my high school reunion. This girl I dug in high school was there, and we were hotting it off. She looked better then ever, a little hippied out now, but I like that...

Anyhow, after the dinner, people were sitting around the tables talking, and she reaches in her purse and pulls out a big cucumber... the end off, and starts rubbing it on her face... Said it cleans the oils and is good for the skin... People were taken aback, than, after giving her face the rubdown, she proceeds to eat it.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I know it's the cool thing to say sharing is good- and I absolutely believe it too- but I can't deny the part of me that likes magic and knows that a magician never reveals his/her secrets. The days of the DJ as magician/shaman are absolutely dead and gone, but I kinda like that that's how it was for a little while. It makes things interesting.

• i say share the wealth cause most likely (at least in terms of the records i have and know about) everyone knows about them already. never hurts to share the knowledge to those who dont know.

truffles and caviar presented on a garbage can lid by a waiter with dirty fingernails and served at a table with people who eat with their mouths open might as well be day-old taco bell with flat ginger beer with a bug floating in it.

the rarest funkiest joint doesn't mean shit if there's no heart behind it and played in an otherwise shitty set custom made for chin-strokers and note-takers, you know? play me stop in the name of love at a rocking party with true love for it and it will be 10 times more rad than a $200 45 with a blacked-out label.

but then again, that's just me.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

so muro has a dope collection of japanese stuff? its always kind of bugged me that he never really played any japanese stuff on his mixtapes. his tapes pretty much sounds like the american ones... maybe that american funk sound is exotic to him? like the japanese sound is exotic to us..

Yes, Muro has a DOPE collection of Japanese stuff. He has CRAZY Japanese records. He has made beats with Japanese records and put me up on a lot of dope Japanese joints. He just finished a new break mix CD with ALL Japanese records.
    FIRE! So look out folls.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I remember Muro had a whole section on the wall of Japanese records. Dude played me about 30 joints that day that were absolute RIDICULOUSNESS! Lucky I got a photographic memory when it comes to covers Can't read kanji tho!

Can't wait to hear that all_japan_mix CD Big_Chan... Muro laced me with a casette copy of that Paul Nice/Muro joint but I don't have a tape deck out here, can't wait to get home and peep it!! Where's PAUL @? Is that still coming out in the states?

peace.

I remember Muro had a whole section on the wall of Japanese records. Dude played me about 30 joints that day that were absolute RIDICULOUSNESS! Lucky I got a photographic memory when it comes to covers Can't read kanji tho!

Can't wait to hear that all_japan_mix CD Big_Chan... Muro laced me with a casette copy of that Paul Nice/Muro joint but I don't have a tape deck out here, can't wait to get home and peep it!! Where's PAUL @? Is that still coming out in the states?

peace.

Muro gave me the same tape and I've been playing it a lot! Crazy breaks. Paul just pressed up CDs and it's coming out here in the states any day now. Paul is too busy watching old school Japanese anime and does not have time for Soulstrut.
    LOL! He is actually working on a new album that should be VERY DOPE.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I know it's the cool thing to say sharing is good- and I absolutely believe it too- but I can't deny the part of me that likes magic jackson and knows that a magician never reveals his secrets. The days of the DJ as magician/shaman are absolutely dead and gone, but I kinda like that that's how it was for a little while. It makes things interesting.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Bottom line: People like to believe they are more special than they really are.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm on both sides of the fence when sharing knowledge. You are making it way too easy for the lazy beatdiggers.. Folks hear a sound clip on the net then save a search on eBay and boom it's theirs... no legwork involved.

But then again, I learned so much about modern soul and disco just through hitting up sites on the Internet. I have been lucky to find about 80% of it out in the field without going the lazy route.

My advice is to keep a few joints to yourself... I know I do.. but 90% of it should be shared. Spread Love.

The whole Japanese beat digging things irks me. Of all the years I go elbow to elbow with these guys here in the states, most don't have the decency to bring shit over .. yet take, take , take American joints back to the land of the rising sun... then they give DJ Sheep flack for exposing the heatrocks on eBay? Same goes for the Aussies... seems like US records are common knowledge but Ausie and Japanese records have to stay on the hush? GAY....

Best way to share knowledge is on an ebay auction. That way you spread the gospel and get paid as well.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Like I never did believe that there are funk 45 collectors that bought up loads or raers & destroyed some so that they would be the only ones to have 'em. That i find hard to believe. That would then be a sickness, not an obsession. Pathetic sad attitude.

Believe it. I've actually done it myself a few times, so yeah, thanks for calling me pathetic & sad....

These days I usually just give people surprise record gifts to make their day. Good feeling.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

she reaches in her purse and pulls out a big cucumber...
    starts rubbing it on her face...
    after giving her face the rubdown, she proceeds to eat it.

indeed

homemade facial scrub/mask:

one cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup dried lavender
    1/2 cup untoasted, unsalted almonds

throw it in the blender and work it til it's well- mixed but not powdery, it should be coarse. keep in an air-tight container and don't get it wet when you're using it.

to use: wet your face and pour desired amount in your hand, wet the scrub slightly, enough to make a paste. scrub away. for extra soft skin, leave on for a few minutes and then wash off.

the oats rub away dead skin, the almond oil softens the skin, the lavender soothes the skin and it smells nice, too.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Best way to share knowledge is on an ebay auction. That way you spread the gospel and get paid as well.

Word. I treat my eBay auctions like a issue of SoulStrut "ISH" but you can buy that shit...hah! word, I ain't tryin' to hide nuthin' but 8 joints... that's all the Secret Squirrels I dun ever had up... I'll expose all in the ISH when you bring it back RAJ! The other thing is that I'm in Japan for 1-2 more months. Gotta spread some records out there for the people. It's not easy bringing auctions every 2 weeks like that...

Also, when travelling, I thought it'd be common courtesy to pack a fat batch of (Aussie/Regional/Raer) records for trades with fellow record peeps, I just thought it was common sense to do that. But I feel you RAJ, I'm sure 95% of Japanese dudes ain't packing the heat with 'em for trades... let alone any records. I tell my boys out here to bring some shit to TSL when they hit up NYC for digs. They ain't even moved or phased by the idea... I even offered to flip 'em a few, but not interested...

weird??

peace.

• The whole Japanese beat digging things irks me. Of all the years I go elbow to elbow with these guys here in the states, most don't have the decency to bring shit over .. yet take, take , take American joints back to the land of the rising sun... then they give DJ Sheep flack for exposing the heatrocks on eBay?

Just stumbled across this thread as I was in Japan when it was posted.

Raj

The reason most Japanese dudes don???t bring Japanese records over for trade or even talk about them is that most of them are simply not interested or even aware of their home grown rare???s (or commons as most of them actually are).

When I have stumbled across a Japanese dude with a little knowledge they are more than happy to share any little info they know and help however they can.

Of course there are dudes (like Muro) who are into the Japanese stuff but its really is a small scene (though I suggest its now growing).

At least two of the records that are now being sold recently on ebay for $$$ as 's I put photos and info about these records on soul strut in 2004! And I was actually told these titles by a rather small time Japanese collector/DJ who was more than happy to spread the knowledge.

The whole Japanese beat digging things irks me. Of all the years I go elbow to elbow with these guys here in the states, most don't have the decency to bring shit over .. yet take, take , take American joints back to the land of the rising sun... then they give DJ Sheep flack for exposing the heatrocks on eBay?

Just stumbled across this thread as I was in Japan when it was posted.

Raj

The reason most Japanese dudes don???t bring Japanese records over for trade or even talk about them is that most of them are simply not interested or even aware of their home grown rare???s (or commons as most of them actually are).
    When I have stumbled across a Japanese dude with a little knowledge they are more than happy to share any little info they know and help however they can.

Of course there are dudes (like Muro) who are into the Japanese stuff but its really is a small scene (though I suggest its now growing).

At least two of the records that are now being sold for $$$ as 's on ebay recently I put photos and info about these records on soul strut in 2004! And I was actually told these titles by a rather small time Japanese collector/DJ who was more than happy to spread the knowledge.

VERY TRUE!!!!!! The majority of Japanese cats are busy looking for American Soul records, Hip-Hop 12" records, Jamaican Dancehall records, Brasilian records, etc. Last thing most Japanese DJs, record collectors and dealers are interested in is Japanese records! Muro, K-Prince & Silverchild are the only Japanese guys I know that are really into Japanese records. There are LOTS of dope soundtracks, jazz records, etc. but most people in Japan could care less about old Japanese records and the knowledge is just not there. When Silverchild came to Seattle on a buying trip, he brought a lot of dope Japanese records to trade. K-Prince and I talk about Japanese records often and Muro has ALL KINDS of Japanese records. I was at Muro's house over the summer and he was playing me a lot of crazy Japanese joints that I had never heard before. Muro has got a very nice collection of Japanese records. He played this for me at his house and it was dope....

Shibata Hatsumi "Lots of Love" LP on Columbia, Produced by Yuji Ohno