proto crunk.

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
so, what are some bounce sounding songs before "bounce" was a musical term?i can name a few.mc breed & the dfc - get loosebeastie boys - slow and lowmasked demolition lover - chokecondition red - don't get caught slippin what are some other pre 93 crunk sounds?mp3s are very acceptable.

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Label/cover scans, as well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• condition red - don't get caught slippin

I worked for this mom and pop label when this song blew up big. Wow! Can't believe you mentioned this record.
    Was a huge hit down south. Every car with speakers could be heard rockin' this when it was out. The bass line in that song is HOT 2 DEF!

"was it that freak last week in the ville?"

)

~Crates

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    can't go wrong with a song about getting gohnerea.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i lived in virginia for about 7 years and we got a lot of that stuff from the radio station where i djed. it's from miami, no? cardova was asking me about it, you should see if you can find him one, he's kinda that dude with trade material.

• Hard record to track down in decent condition. Clark J (read the label) may still have some but doubtful. I still chill with Clark J Jr.(thats how i met Sr.) I'll ask em if they got any.

Condition Red members were from Orlando hence (O'Town) and one of the cats was from Gainesville.

Damn taking me back to Jampony Express days!!!!

~Crates

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i'm gonna say anything by Too Short on 75 Girls was prime crunk (not bounce) source material...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    you talking about "bounce" or "crunk"? because most bounce would probably qualify as proto crunk.

original concept - "knowledge me" is a must either way

oh and for proto-bounce... anything produced by Mantronik up to about 87...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    can't go wrong with a song about getting gohnerea.

i lived in virginia for about 7 years and we got a lot of that stuff from the radio station where i djed

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    mantronik and kraftwerk.... not so much what i was thinking.

• mantronik and kraftwerk.... not so much what i was thinking.

still, those drum patterns are undeniable.

beastie boys=

mantronik=

me=

talk to any bounce freak, all that shit comes from Mantronik...

• Everlasting Bass is kinda Crunkish.

still, those drum patterns are undeniable.

• wolfpack - put the guns down
    I also wanna say some tracks off that first Eazy-E lp too, they had that slow bassy sound

what about Nemesis?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

beastie boys=

mantronik=

me=

talk to any bounce freak, all that shit comes from Mantronik...
    ...Run DMC - Together Forever

1. i've never met a "bounce freak"
    2. i'm more speaking on the kick and snare n half over a fast beat, with or without dudes yelling on it.

i love me some kurtis mantronik, but i would'nt give him crunk status, although i might have to go listen to "back to the old school" just in case.

mantronik was german too, wasnt he?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i knew the way i worded this was gonna bite me in the ass. too many genres.

mantronik is arab/jamaican.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you're right...

Mantronik was born Kurtis Khaleel in Jamaica, though his family soon moved to Canada and ended up in New York by the late '70s. Mantronik soon began DJing around the city and was working behind the decks at Manhattan's Downtown Records when he met MC Tee (born Tour?? Embden). After the duo had assembled a demo tape, they gave it to William Socolov, president of Sleeping Bag Records. He signed Mantronix soon after hearing it, and released their debut single, "Fresh Is the Word." The track lit up New York's streets and clubs during 1985, and brought the full-length Mantronix: The Album early the following year. Two new singles, "Ladies" and "Basslines," became big street hits as well and even crossed over to join the first wave of hip-hop chartmakers in Britain.

By that time, Mantronik had also begun working on A&R at Sleeping Bag, where he signed EPMD, produced KRS-One's first credit ("Success Is the Word" by 12:41), and helmed other intense tracks by Tricky Tee, Just-Ice, and T la Rock. The second Mantronix LP, Music Madness, continued to keep the duo fresh in the clubs. The increasing popularity of hip-hop gave Mantronix a chance at a major-label contract, and by 1987 the duo had signed with Capitol. In Full Effect emerged the following year, and portrayed Mantronik jettisoning many his more hardcore inclinations in favor of a fusion of dance and R&B, an early precursor to hip-house. The production excursion "Do You Like...Mantronik?" proved that Mantronik's ear for clever beats remained, however. And Mantronix's success in England prompted several of the first sampladelic hits, like "Pump Up the Volume" by M/A/R/R/S and "Theme from S'Express" by S'Express.

Soon after In Full Effect, MC Tee left to join the Air Force. Mantronik replaced him with Bryce Luvah (the cousin of LL Cool J) and DJ Dee (Mantronik's own cousin). With 1990's This Should Move Ya, Mantronik made the move from hip-hop into more straight-ahead house. With vocalist Wondress in tow, a pair of Mantronix singles stormed the British Top 20, including the Top Five "Got to Have Your Love." He still used the rappers, but continued to work in dance with 1991's The Incredible Sound Machine. As a group entity, Mantronix disappeared at that point. Mantronik began producing other acts -- mostly female vocalists or freestyle acts -- and later exited music altogether. He returned in the mid-'90s as a breakbeat elder statesman, recording as Kurtis Mantronik and providing remixes for EPMD, Future Sound of London, and Doctor Octagon. A Mantronix respective and several album reissues began filtering out in 1999, and Mantronik began recording a new group album later that year. ~ John Bush, All Music Guide

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

yeah, but from Germany right?

*EDIT: whoops didnt notice Delays post above. Then where did I get the idea that he was German?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

yeah, but from Germany right?
    that's what i thought too, but i guess not. i dunno where i heard that.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    bounce???

brown beats

trigger man.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I was just kiddin'. You meant the direct pre-cursors to the genre.

• You have confused MANTRONIX with German pop-electro group from early 80s, BOYTRONIC[/b]. Though I don't know how you did that.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    cardova was asking me about it, you should see if you can find him one

thanks for looking out, got one already though.

• Kraftwerk for president, PLEASE. Wait, shit, they are German... I'm moving there.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    No one's mentioned "Drag Rap" by The Showboys yet? That's like the definative answer.

There's also this random track from 1988 that I picked up recently called "Do It Steady" by Vice Versa (ostensibly a house/dance band, not at all hip-hop) that sounds almost identical to Mannie Fresh's best work from circa 2000.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    No one's mentioned "Drag Rap" by The Showboys yet? That's like the definative answer.

trigger man.

There's also this random track from 1988 that I picked up recently called "Do It Steady" by Vice Versa (ostensibly a house/dance band, not at all hip-hop) that sounds almost identical to Mannie Fresh's best work from circa 2000.

mplaese3?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

mplaese3?

Where's it from?

Wasn't Mannie Fresh involved in some house stuff as a teenager?