If you could go to another country for records....

Comments

• Where do you think the 2nd highest concentration of Haitain records are?

K.

guy lafleur got breaks?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

guy lafleur got breakaway speed

• Dude, Nauru ain't going to have records nor is it semi-industrialized .. thats a failed state right there, the country is one big open cast phosphorous mine - all the phosphorus is gone though, as is the money it generated ...

It's news to me. You learn something new everyday

no dramas - it's a terrible story really - a beautiful pacific atoll completely decimated by open cut mining and then corruption ... these days Australia essentially props up the country, the key source of income in recent years stemming from the operation of detention camps for people seeking asylum in Australia but intercepted at sea. For months only one guy was being kept there, at a cost of $30 000 a day or something .. totally looney .. anyways

• for those interested in stuff from India, I have some material in cassette form of vinyl my mom dubbed in Bombay aka mumbai and Goa um mid 60s era ish...the sound quality isn't so hot, but its still nice (kind of like listening to early ska recordings in mono or badly mic'd) and im in the process of digitizing my mom and dad's tapes since they're getting worn down. when i hear of term Goan trance, i feel like killing hippies,pill popping kunts, phuck those people for coming to my home land and staining our name when we have wicked local folk tunage ...goa was colonized by portugal, so our music's got some wierd elements, cause u got the native indian steelo, then you got this upbeat brazillian kind of ish, some stuff will remind of ska to mento, its crazy...with a language that sounds portuguese/brazillian and indian at the same time... alot of dope sheit comes from goan movies, which are nowhere near as popular as bollywood movies.

nonetheless, when i'm done converting, i'l make a thread and post some mp3s here, as i know this is one of the rare forums that would appreciate stuff like that... cause some of this sheit, i wouldn't be surprised if it never existed anymore as most of these records would have become damaged and that stuff is indeed raer as hell.

That's interesting. Do the tapes have mainly filmsongs? I understand many of the Bombay studio musicians came from Goa too, especially the jazzy players. I have some good friends in Goa and they hipped me to some great stuff by local artists. Many Portuguese or Spanish sounding names like D'Souza etc. I have yet to hear the first Goan film song though. Would be great if you post MP3's. I'll check what I have and if it's interesting enough I'll PM you.

I have been in Goa and these neo-hippies need spanking, I agree. It was terrible. Neo-hippies mixing with the corpulent easy-jet crowd. Being really cheap, bargaining for ordinary Indian meals while spending ridiculous amounts on pills suplied by some Israeli mafia figures. I left sooner than I planned. I liked Panchim though. Didn't find any records in Goa.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    yup, there are songs from film tracks, but other acts that were large in the day, i understand a lot of artists from goa were recruited for bolly films as well. my gramps was a musician he also made me a mix tape of goan choir songs, see (near the bottom of the thread, the one w/ the pic of the songsheet):

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=382096&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

i'l defintely post the mp3s here when i get them done, its a really unique sound that most people would not think could come out of india.

• Wow, that's some grandpa. Nice story. I love his voice. Very gentle. I can't read the sheet too well. Is the lyric about an atomic clock? I now I have a record by Rita Rose and I used to have some articles on different Indian musical scenes including Goa. I'll check were they are.

• admittedly none of the countries below have been mentioned, but they're all pacific islands
    the labels say 'drumbeats' but they're drum beats of a different kind, and certainly not all that
    some nice covers tho

all of these were pressed in aust or nz despite local recordings,

If I was going to go to one of those countries today it'd be for a beach holiday

• I got Mexico City digging stories for days and a few other cities on my hitlist down there I need to still hit up. Had to have pioneered it because I was picking up stuff that any digger worth his Kudu would have grabbed if he had been there before me.
    I haven't ever dug in TJ, I hear there is a store there with a bunch of reissue psych though and some old records. Might be worth checking out. I have an interesting record (i found at Amoeba LA on day 1 in the understock) by a group called "Border Patrol" that is supposedly TJ's number one mariachi funk band. Great looking funky private record. Look out, I imagine that would turn up near you. That record alone is reason enough for me to hit it (and tile for the house).

The thing about MExico is that very few people are collecting Mexican stuff right now... psychedelic, yes, but not any other genres. So if you're going to buy stuff to re-sell, its not really a good look. But you'll find dope music for dayzzzz if you know what you're looking at.

• NJ
    all the stampers sitting around at that plant in ______

What are you talking about?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Wow, that's some grandpa. Nice story. I love his voice. Very gentle. I can't read the sheet too well. Is the lyric about an atomic clock? I now I have a record by Rita Rose and I used to have some articles on different Indian musical scenes including Goa. I'll check were they are.

thanks, actually the song is about a rooster i guess haha, u know how those lyrics were back in the day like "rock round the clock". i have to learn how to read notes so i can play them.

is rita rose the wifey of alfred rose? i'm pretty sure...he was a legend, and he's one of the artists i have tunes of...he came to our house in canada once, and has passed on. gotta digitize these thangs! the thing about goa/indian music is that its alway massively influenced by western counterparts, from blaxploitation, to chicks trying to emulate the vox of sarah vaughan..same goes for other places and its awesom, which is why i always love hearing those japanese covers of funk

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    i would step out my door and still just go to holland and belgium just to find one of those placebo records, or even all. but i dont know if that is ever possible without letting much dough there. but there are still some spots which are not killed yet, so i will be on a hunt...no utrecht for me though...

• NJ

Trust me, thats a question thats better left un-asked,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bellcity, meet the artist formerly known as L13.

Now, regarding Mexico... Meaty, I'll be honest, I wouldn't know what to look for. Hell, I don't even know where to start. We get a lot of mexican records here in SD, and most of the are like Banda or oompa oompa music or whatever. Its funny, because you'll see like 7 dudes on the covers with matching 70s suits, and if you were to replace the mexican heads with black heads with afros it would be garunteed heat. Sometimes I'll still check it out, but I dont really find anything funky. And its not like I'm disappointed or anything. They are mexicans making mexican music, so its all good.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    India
    Jamaica
    Denmark
    anywhere in Africa

• NJ

Bellcity, meet the artist formerly known as L13.

Now, regarding Mexico... Meaty, I'll be honest, I wouldn't know what to look for. Hell, I don't even know where to start. We get a lot of mexican records here in SD, and most of the are like Banda or oompa oompa music or whatever. Its funny, because you'll see like 7 dudes on the covers with matching 70s suits, and if you were to replace the mexican heads with black heads with afros it would be garunteed heat. Sometimes I'll still check it out, but I dont really find anything funky. And its not like I'm disappointed or anything. They are mexicans making mexican music, so its all good.
    Thanks for the heads up....
    I wouldn't mind going to Honduras. Also Costa Rica and Ecuador.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    cambodia

Was there around 2000-01, didn't stick around in Phnom Phem long enough to find anything... reckon it's all in private hands if anything, but considering Pol Pot's ideas on culture etc, I don't know what would have survived. They were so poor they would have been using raers for the bean-dip, beer mats, truck suspension or whatever.

I always wanted to make it across to Vietnam - figured that some of the servicemen might have taken records with them judging by the soundtracks to every 'Nam movie made.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I'd stay right here in Japan...

100% nowhere in the world with such a consistent turnaround... and so many underground spots that are untapped it's funny...

the mom + pop record stores in the burbs are fucking ill.

peace.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Jersey City

• NJ

YES DIZZYFUKINKKKUNTBULL YOU DON'T ASK BECAUSE YOUR MOTHER'S STINKY AFTERBIRTH OF RAP SNACK TRACKS WILL ANSWER,,,,,,,

AND IT WILL SAY "KKKUNT DIZZY BULL TRASH WHITEBOY/BITCH EASY ENOCH LISTENING CLAPTRAP"

L13 IS EVERYWHERE LIKE SOUNDVIEW

• Jersey City

Iris?

Jersey City has been BLEEEECH every time for me.

• I believe the Utrecht record fair is my ideal international destination. Is that cheating?

Naah, I know a dude who does it every 6 months and cleans up. He mostly deals in psych/prog/rock though.

Utrecht is really whats up. Me, Moss and Pee went this year and we will be goin next year. Your yaper must be right or your goin to be strictly browsing out there though. If you post your total dollars spent in weekend finds, stay your ass at home. Its also just dope to see that much raer in one place. Any type of genre you're into they got the truth.

• Your yaper must be right

::: L O C A T I O N :::

• Bongolia

• Bongolia

How's the cowbell?

• No one say

San Salvador [/b]

I had dreams of coming back as Young Vinyl Boss of El Salvadorian heat, but I didn't find shit except joints from old relatives collection.

I think with the civil war lasting so many years and the economy being real shakey people didn't have the desire/recources to cop records. Everyone just bought bootleg tapes.

No colletcing sub-culture either.

• The only city I've ever tried to "dig out" in Mexico is Chihuahua. NADA. I was only there a day or 2 so If I'd a been there a week or more I might have had some success. I did go to one little hipster store that sold CD's, video stuff, some records etc etc and asked dude (I'm fluent in spanish) where I could score some more discos his only tip was at the "tiraderos" it's a real real low budget swap meet deal w/ lots of bootleg gear and some peoples old broken crap. I did find a couple crates of rinked up 80's crap and norteno, band, mariachi and assorted other mexi styles.

• There's a country called United States Of America...

• India
    Jamaica
    Denmark
    anywhere in Africa

Dont go to Denmark for records. There's lots of other and better reasons to come here. Miss, I would recommend you to go to Sweden instead.

I want to go back to Ghana which I visited in February. I met a guy who owned a label in the 60s and 70s who had a warehouse but he told me to come back in two weeks because he didn't have time to take me there. I had to catch a plane home though.

However, I'm sure others have been to warehouse.

Dress

• yo, jake what the deal? I have to whole-heartedly agree with you on that Utrecht. There is some def. heat there. I have to say I personally have had a lot of success in Germany too. However, Sweden and Japan are hands down my favorites spots outside of America so far. As DJ Sheep mentioned, the burbs in Japan are the shit! The countries I wanna go digging in are Fillipinis, Malaysia, Thailand, and maybe just maybe Cape Verde.
    amir

• Malaysia

Yo whats good Amir,

A ladyfriend of mine picked me up some records in Malaysia, they looked cool but were mostly busts, however there were some good samples... but she said dude at this flea market had tons of records but she only had like ten minutes to grab stuff. Definitely sounds promising.

- Jonny