If you could go to another country for records....

Comments

• Brazil and France.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Faves I've been to: Brazil, Mexico, Canada, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Spain, Venezuela, UK, France, Morocco, Cuba, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Lousiana.

Next on the hit list: Colombia, Panama, Argentina, Japan, Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Ethiopia, India, Pakistan and Jamaica.

damn.

• Turkey

In that Vinyl Junkies book one of the guys talks about going to Turkey and it being really disappointing. He said all he could find was boot leg tapes, no records anywhere. Seems like personal collections would be where all the Koray and the like would be situated.

I believe the Utrecht record fair is my ideal international destination. Is that cheating?

• I hear you but people said the same thing about Mexico City. I think it depends on how raw you got whenever you travel. Are you willing to get in a taxi with a stranger and go mad far in an unknown direction to look at records... Wherever you go, go where the exchange is in your favor..nawmean?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I have a weird fascination with obscure island countries/territories. Everyone knows about records from Jamaica, Bermuda, Cuba, Hawaii, etc. but I want to see what semi-industrialized places Nauru and Tristan Da Cunha have to offer.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I believe the Utrecht record fair is my ideal international destination. Is that cheating?

Naah, I know a dude who does it every 6 months and cleans up. He mostly deals in psych/prog/rock though.

• I hear you but people said the same thing about Mexico City. I think it depends on how raw you got whenever you travel. Are you willing to get in a taxi with a stranger and go mad far in an unknown direction to look at records... Wherever you go, go where the exchange is in your favor..nawmean?

Yeah dude... Mexico. Its 15 miles from my house, and yet I've never gone down there in search for raer. I guess its because I don't know enough about mexican music to be able to wade through everything. and I don't speak spanish, so it would be hard to describe to a taxi driver that I want "discos" and not wind up on Revolucion.

I wonder how dug out mexico city is? I never hear of anybodys digging stories from mexico city (if there even are any). I would think that TJ HAS to have some records, becuase there has always been a club scene there catering to americans and shit. Which also leads me to beleive that TJ would be the place to find mexican funk bands that played for drunk sailors in the 70s and then pressed up a couple of records. Like the fillipines.

Dang, I should learn spanish I guess.

Ask dstill, Dizzy. TJ got some recs and my friend Sergio's store, but I don't think it's off the chain.

Mexico City is probably a different story. If anyone is doing a Mexico trip soon, I'm down. Hollar.

I'm saying, this dude was like a middle aged british great collectro type(he has a shit load of records, but would rather shell out than get his hands dirty) and he went there, most likely just checked commercial locations like open air markets, had his wife waiting for him and shit, and he just gave up after a few days of looking. But yes, it seems like there would be records there.

• I got Mexico City digging stories for days and a few other cities on my hitlist down there I need to still hit up. Had to have pioneered it because I was picking up stuff that any digger worth his Kudu would have grabbed if he had been there before me.

I haven't ever dug in TJ, I hear there is a store there with a bunch of reissue psych though and some old records. Might be worth checking out. I have an interesting record (i found at Amoeba LA on day 1 in the understock) by a group called "Border Patrol" that is supposedly TJ's number one mariachi funk band. Great looking funky private record. Look out, I imagine that would turn up near you. That record alone is reason enough for me to hit it (and tile for the house).

• I can tell you right now, Tibet is definitely not the place to go unless you're into the bubblegum Chinese scene. Even then, CD only. It's killing me here. At least I have the mountains to look at. Incidently, David Banner has made it out here. Wonder who's buying...

Going to Congo in a 2 weeks. Definitely no records there, but lots of tapes. Picked up a handful the last time I was there. The church music from the late 60s/early 70s has some pretty drumbreaks. I'll post when I can...

• Pretending, of course, that the place isn't totally dug out...

shit, as long as we're in fantasy land my choice is obvious:

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    If money wasn??t a problem, I??d go to Japan, UK and USA. It??d be a little dude??s dream come true.

Peace

If money wasn??t a problem, I??d go to Japan, UK and USA. It??d be any dude??s dream come true.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    If money wasn??t a problem, I??d go to Japan, UK and USA. It??d be any dude??s dream come true.

Peace

• poland. peace, stein. . .

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    [semi sarcastic]

right, go on guys.

and I'll have Hong Kong all by myself.

[/semi sarcastic]

• If I'm going to another country, it's not for records.

• I have a weird fascination with obscure island countries/territories. Everyone knows about records from Jamaica, Bermuda, Cuba, Hawaii, etc. but I want to see what semi-industrialized places Nauru and Tristan Da Cunha have to offer.

Dude, Nauru ain't going to have records nor is it semi-industrialized .. thats a failed state right there, the country is one big open cast phosphorous mine - all the phosphorus is gone though, as is the money it generated ...

and I can concur on italy being barren too .. strange but true

And yo stein - nice location ... there are rekids to be had in Sydney, hope IP got you to Discovery, forget about melbourne though, the place is devoid like Mars

and as for myself, germany, poland and england would be three spots where I'd like to get all campervan with it

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Russia

Korea

What do they gots???

Bar Girls.
    Correction. They are called 'drinkie girls'.

I've also heard '"Buy me Coke" Ladies,' but that might be a little outdated.

• italy

Italy is a real tough place to find records. You would have an easier time finding Ceasers tooth brush then a bunch of good records.

that is not really true.............of course Italy is not one of the A country for records...like USA or Japan, BUT the main problem is that you people from abroad always visit the same cities....... that's why you don't find any hidden treasure

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    dont sleep on italy!

• The US and Canada for me.

• Options
    I have a weird fascination with obscure island countries/territories. Everyone knows about records from Jamaica, Bermuda, Cuba, Hawaii, etc. but I want to see what semi-industrialized places Nauru and Tristan Da Cunha have to offer.

People know about certain records from those places, but generally the knowledge is skint. What records do you know from BErmuda other than the Invaders (did you know that was from there?)? Can you name more than 10 Cuban bangers?

I'd go back to Trinidad and the BAhamas again anyday.

K.

• Russia

Korea

What do they gots???

Bar Girls.

I beleive the commonly accepted term is "Juicey Girls", as in "Buy me juicey".

Well, I guess Italy is dug out then, but still, for my private mind garden where I go there and there are all these hot lounge and soundtrack records, I'm sticking with Italy.

• Russia

Korea

What do they gots???

Bar Girls.

I beleive the commonly accepted term is "Juicey Girls", as in "Buy me juicey".

Juicy girls is the runner up. I never heard of 'Buy Me Coke' though.

• Options
    Where do you think the 2nd highest concentration of Haitain records are?

K.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    for those interested in stuff from India, I have some material in cassette form of vinyl my mom dubbed in Bombay aka mumbai and Goa um mid 60s era ish...the sound quality isn't so hot, but its still nice (kind of like listening to early ska recordings in mono or badly mic'd) and im in the process of digitizing my mom and dad's tapes since they're getting worn down. when i hear of term Goan trance, i feel like killing hippies,pill popping kunts, phuck those people for coming to my home land and staining our name when we have wicked local folk tunage ...goa was colonized by portugal, so our music's got some wierd elements, cause u got the native indian steelo, then you got this upbeat brazillian kind of ish, some stuff will remind of ska to mento, its crazy...with a language that sounds portuguese/brazillian and indian at the same time... alot of dope sheit comes from goan movies, which are nowhere near as popular as bollywood movies.

nonetheless, when i'm done converting, i'l make a thread and post some mp3s here, as i know this is one of the rare forums that would appreciate stuff like that... cause some of this sheit, i wouldn't be surprised if it never existed anymore as most of these records would have become damaged and that stuff is indeed raer as hell.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Dude, Nauru ain't going to have records nor is it semi-industrialized .. thats a failed state right there, the country is one big open cast phosphorous mine - all the phosphorus is gone though, as is the money it generated ...

It's news to me. You learn something new everyday

• Just one? I would pick among these:

India
    Japan
    Brazil

There's a huge record collecting organization in India where they release quarterly newsletters among themselves, and they are very deep into what they do. They regularly purchase off of eBay and are more than willing to travel to pick up their favorite pieces.

It's been a dream of mine since a kid to go to Japan.