YODELSTRUT

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Yo... anybody know about music with yodelling in it? I don't even know what you would call shit like that (never saw a yodel music section at any record spot). I just heard some yodel shit on this toyota truck commercial, and it was kinda dope to me! Any suggestions? I am surrious.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Jimmie Rodgers, and all those who imitated him...his entire style of early "country" music involved yodeling, all the songs slip into a "yodelayy-eee! yodelayy-oo!!" at some point. Picking up a collection of Jimmie's recordings wouldn't be the worst move you ever made.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    you cease to amaze me

the ex-snaggletoothed one got that pop yodeleing on loc

• check out scott h. biram from austin, tx. he's a dirty old one man blues band.

oh yeah, and he likes to yodel...

• I like to yodel in the valley, if you know what I mean. (wink wink nudge nudge)

Herm

• Yo... anybody know about music with yodelling in it? I don't even know what you would call shit like that (never saw a yodel music section at any record spot).

I just heard some yodel shit on this toyota truck commercial, and it was kinda dope to me! Any suggestions? I am surrious.

avoid this one:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

this is that real schitt

• Phill, this joint has the OG yodelers - and Alpine horn too!

• Yo... anybody know about music with yodelling in it? I don't even know what you would call shit like that (never saw a yodel music section at any record spot).

I just heard some yodel shit on this toyota truck commercial, and it was kinda dope to me! Any suggestions? I am surrious.

Dopest yodel record ever...

Peace...

FNM

• Now, are these suggestions just "random yodel" schitt or are these the DUDES of yodelling? I want the Young Jeezy of the yodelling world. Nah, more like the Rakim of yodellers... the classic material. That REAL yodel schitt.

Like, how about that "hamster dance" schitt, remember when that was hot? Is that the realness? I want schitt like that! (unless y'all say that that schitt is weak... gotta have the realness)

And I can't figure out if this yodelling is some swiss alps schitt or some country ass hillbilly schitt (no offense to my country ass hillbilly nukkas... just sayin'). WHERE DOES THIS SCHITT ORIGINATE FROM??? Thanks.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Now, are these suggestions just "random yodel" schitt or are these the DUDES of yodelling? I want the Young Jeezy of the yodelling world. Nah, more like the Rakim of yodellers... the classic material. That REAL yodel schitt.

Like, how about that "hamster dance" schitt, remember when that was hot? Is that the realness? I want schitt like that! (unless y'all say that that schitt is weak... gotta have the realness)

And I can't figure out if this yodelling is some swiss alps schitt or some country ass hillbilly schitt (no offense to my country ass hillbilly nukkas... just sayin'). WHERE DOES THIS SCHITT ORIGINATE FROM??? Thanks.

Eddy Arnold had mad yodels, yo.

And I believe it does come from the Alps and parts of Europe.

• LOL, OK, you wanna know something about yodeling. In almost every region where they have mountains or other huge distances between people, the mankind developed an artform to comunicate by "screaming". The celts did it, most time thos dudes where shepperds, woodworkers or cole makers (dont know the vocabs in english)Alos the animals could react to those sounds. Like if you whistle to get your dog back.

From that it developed into a something that you do to have fun with your friends with. Like singing together. From there it became a part of the musical genres. In German speaking countrys it is called Volksmusik. The Volksmusik market is very similar to the country music market in the states. They have huge stars here, but they are not all over the media like Eminem or 50 is.

It is said that black singers incorporated the yodeling into blues and hillbilly around 1900. And like allways, the white yodelling Cowboys took it and made it there own. (But I doubt that yodeling would have been extremly succelsfull in the black comunity)

Worldwide the image of yodeling is now white, alpine, swiss or bavarian like and Heidi. But thats the same like the Coca Cola Santa. Just media hype, there are confirmed yodel comunication forms from the Pygmean, Inuit, Caucasian, Palastinian, China, Thai, Spanish, Sweden, Polaish and so on and so on.

Personaly, I hate it, but it was used once in avery nice way. Old Country Boy from Parliament is the nicest yodle in funk that I know.

Gruezi Gott
    Hawkeye

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    knowledge dropped
    yodel revealed

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

the ex-snaggletoothed one got that pop yodeleing on loc

Is that Jewel? Mang, I don't remember how many times I lie about liking Jewel to get laid during the 90's. It would never fail. I was THE sensitive guy. I even memorized some of her lyrics. Those sweet neo-hippie girls, ahhhh, good memories.

Thank you, Jewel.

• Old Country Boy from Parliament is the nicest yodle in funk that I know.

Yes, great yodel, great track.

• Are you telling me that no one has mentioned Don Walser, king of the double yodel? He's been called The Pavarotti of the Plains and he is amazing.

And this CD is a nice comp of his work:

Amazon link here.

Listen to "Cowpoke Blues"--just beautiful.

And the double yodel on "Rolling Stone from Texas" is truly

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    There's a Swiss guy named Peter Hinnen who has a record called "Nudel Jodel" from 1975. I cant find a picture, but on the cover he's sitting by a pool. One of the songs starts out with a drum break builds up with wah wah and clavinet. I guess this was his 'getting hip' album since most of his work is country-ish stuff. I don't have it anymore though.

• That is why you are my favorite new poster.

I kinda dig yodeling also.

I have a "how to yodel" record, and let me tell you, it aint easy.

I've sampled some country yodeling and put it to a beat, and it makes me smile, but i've never actually been able to incorporate into anything.... yet.

• There's a Swiss guy named Peter Hinnen who has a record called "Nudel Jodel" from 1975. I cant find a picture, but on the cover he's sitting by a pool. One of the songs starts out with a drum break builds up with wah wah and clavinet. I guess this was his 'getting hip' album since most of his work is country-ish stuff. I don't have it anymore though.

I SOOOOO need to hear this!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    funniest thread evar.

Jodelking - Franz Lang.

• Ha ha ha, believe it or not, Bart, the writer of this book, used to have a radio program right after mine at a pirate radio station. So I always had a look into the pile of records he brought. Unbelievable stuff. He used to mix all that vintage yodeling with modern noise and electronics and added political speeches and metaphysical stuff. I could help him with an item he didn't have yet, an Indian record by SD Burman with Kishore Kumar yodeling on it. The radio station was rolled up by the police but he's still doing his thing on the internet. His program is called Wreck this Mess. Funny, original dude. I still get his monthly letter but I don't understand most of it. To get in touch with him, just google him.

• Are you telling me that no one has mentioned Don Walser, king of the double yodel? He's been called The Pavarotti of the Plains and he is amazing.

Listen to "Cowpoke Blues"--just beautiful.

And the double yodel on "Rolling Stone from Texas" is truly

Here are a couple of yousendits:

Cowpoke Blues:
    https://s34.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1U8YPIWLILEG30V52CX0SBYOK

Rolling Stone from Texas:
    https://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1TKWOANV1LUUO01EWCLC0PH00I

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

Thank you, Jewel.