RoLL BounCe...your SDTK

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    9. Lovely Day-Bill Withers

I just want to say that in no way is this song ghey...

bad call

It's become muzak, son. I've heard that joint too many times from djs.
    Plus it's a damn hair commercial........
    Overplayed............Easy Choice Crap.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    juts cuz It's overplayed and an easy choice doesn't make it bad or

you must be the type of dude that hates music as soon as the rest of the world catches on to it.

I was like that too... in high school.

you can't really knock Bill Withers at all. anytime anyhwere.

juts cuz It's overplayed and an easy choice doesn't make it bad or

you must be the type of dude that hates music as soon as the rest of the world catches on to it.

I was like that too... in high school.

you can't really knock Bill Withers at all. anytime anyhwere.

I didnt say it was a bad song. It's a classic that's been squeezed dry.
    He has crazy other songs to choose from. It's an example of laziness.IMO
    Cant knock Bill Withers? I wasn't knockin' him.
    Maybe you should go back to high school and learn to read.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Saw the film last night.
    It was solid fun. recommended.
    The music also worked well.
    The cast was really excellent, especially Bow Wow's friends. If you grew up skating like I did, it will be a fun flick.

Any curveballs thrown in the score?
    Could you identify all the songs?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

None of the remakes were in the film that I could hear, except the Boogie Oogie Oogie one at the end credits. If there were re-makes I sure couldn't tell.

Get Off by Foxy was used great, as was Le Freak. Bounce Rock Skate Roll pretty much opens the film. My only issue with Lovely Day(frankly a song I can NEVER get tired of, it's one of those IMO)is that that's an early 80s tune(I thought) and the flick is set in 77/78. So that irked me, but it was well utilized and fit the scene, so even that didn't bug me bad. The music selection was actually pretty realistic, IMO. There is one scene where a neighborhood girl is diggin on the Bee Gees and all the guys are bustin' on her, but they clearly have no idea who the Bee Gees are. It was funny.

I seem to remember Another One Bites the Dust being out in 1978, but perhaps I am wrong, that was a big number back whenI was skating at the Golden Sands park in Steven Point WI in 1978, but that number was not in the flick.

The movie is predictable, but still engaging. If you can't abide by corniness is small doses, it isn't for you. It is sentimental, but in all the right ways, and very sweet, but with some actual emotional weight to it(for a family film in 2005 anyway). And all the women in it are fine fine FINE. And Mike Epps and Charlie Murphy steal the show with their scenes.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    9. Lovely Day-Bill Withers

Overplayed............Easy Choice Crap.

I thought my reading comprehension was pretty good.

even if you didn't mean to, you called Bill Withers crap and

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    And all the women in it are fine fine FINE.

That girl from Eve's Bayou grew up to be real cute (I think she's about twenty, so I don't have to feel too weird about saying that).

That girl from Eve's Bayou grew up to be real cute (I think she's about twenty, so I don't have to feel too weird about saying that).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

She's cute, too, but I think everybody already knew that before seeing this movie.

"Dont feel too weird"

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    World on Wheels...Skateland USA....Skate Depot....

2nd time around...Shalamar

Bounce rock skate...vaughn mason

son of slide...slave

the best of One Way

do you love what you feel..rufus

got to be enough/ffum...con funk shun

shake your pants....cameo

stomp...brothers johnson

lovely ones...jacksons

glow of love...change

backstrokin...fatback band

dont stop what your doin..alicia myers

get down tonight...kc and the sunshine

livin it up...bell & james

movin..brass construction

the best of lakeside

fire cracker....mass production

groveline...heatwave

it must be magic...teena marie

joystick...dazz band

circles...atlantic star

midas touch/operator..midnight star

never knew love...stephanie mills

the stick...the time

World on Wheels...Skateland USA....Skate Depot....

Bounce rock skate...vaughn mason
    son of slide...slave
    the best of One Way
    do you love what you feel..rufus
    got to be enough/ffum...con funk shun
    shake your pants....cameo
    stomp...brothers johnson
    lovely ones...jacksons
    glow of love...change
    backstrokin...fatback band
    dont stop what your doin..alicia myers
    get down tonight...kc and the sunshine
    livin it up...bell & james
    movin..brass construction
    the best of lakeside
    fire cracker....mass production
    groveline...heatwave
    it must be magic...teena marie
    joystick...dazz band
    circles...atlantic star
    midas touch/operator..midnight star
    never knew love...stephanie mills
    the stick...the time

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    no 80's bangers are allowed.

oops...my bad..most my shit is from the early 80's

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

None of the remakes were in the film that I could hear, except the Boogie Oogie Oogie one at the end credits. If there were re-makes I sure couldn't tell.

Get Off by Foxy was used great, as was Le Freak. Bounce Rock Skate Roll pretty much opens the film. My only issue with Lovely Day(frankly a song I can NEVER get tired of, it's one of those IMO)is that that's an early 80s tune(I thought) and the flick is set in 77/78. So that irked me, but it was well utilized and fit the scene, so even that didn't bug me bad. The music selection was actually pretty realistic, IMO. There is one scene where a neighborhood girl is diggin on the Bee Gees and all the guys are bustin' on her, but they clearly have no idea who the Bee Gees are. It was funny.

I seem to remember Another One Bites the Dust being out in 1978, but perhaps I am wrong, that was a big number back whenI was skating at the Golden Sands park in Steven Point WI in 1978, but that number was not in the flick.

The movie is predictable, but still engaging. If you can't abide by corniness is small doses, it isn't for you. It is sentimental, but in all the right ways, and very sweet, but with some actual emotional weight to it(for a family film in 2005 anyway). And all the women in it are fine fine FINE. And Mike Epps and Charlie Murphy steal the show with their scenes.

Thanks for the review!

By far the best post here!

• do you love what you feel..rufus

Hell yeah.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This song is the shit. 12" 7 minute version kills.

Gotta remember to throw one or two "slow dance" jammies in there. In fact, the use of "Wishing on a Star" on the soundtrack is on point, even if it is a remake. Throw "Always and Forever" in there too and you got a night out. I'll be over at the pinball games.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    You guys getting all weirded out by what year a song came out for a movie about fucking ROLLERSKATING are getting a liiiittle creepy.....

Like the comic nerds that go watch a movie based on a comic and start squirming when the movie drifts from the comic version.

On the other hand, thats why I come to soulstrut, so carry on....

You guys getting all weirded out by what year a song came out for a movie about fucking ROLLERSKATING are getting a liiiittle creepy.....

YEAH....................REAL CREEPY

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

I completely agree with all of your sentiments about the movie, which is why I find it a little disturbing that it's been getting panned and/or a lukewarm reception from movie critics. Two examples (there a quite a few more): That hack from the Village Voice, Laura Sinagra gave the movie a less-than-stellar review (although she was feeling some of the individual performances), yet has written positively in the past about "Tupac: Resurrection" (basically an MTV News special) and "Deliver Us From Eva." And Bob Longino from the Atlanta Journal Constitution gave the movie a 'C' but "Pootie Tang" got a 'B' (not to mention Team America getting an A-)?

Needless to say, I don't give a lot of credence to what mainstream critics have to write about most black films, but I'm surprised that folks didn't simply dismiss the movie for being sort of boring or corny, rather than taking the time to point out the flaws. It just seems a little misdirected/mean-spirited to me.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I saw it last night at 9:30. Three people in the entire place.

I loved it.

I saw it last night at 9:30. Three people in the entire place.

I loved it.

Saw it last tuesday..................very good.

The score was good. And there was one song i couldn't identify. The Real Thing is the name of the group. The sentimental parts were but the skating dramas were

Dude has Atari in 77..............wasn't that like a $300 system back then.

She was in this movie as well.........all grown up. Did You mean this one?

She can act!!!