psych jazz

davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
edited September 2005 in Music Talk
Hey I've been getting into some psych jazz mix. The best examples i can come up with are these two (air isn't really psych but it's sort of hard to classify):name some of your favorites.some i've been wondering aboutosmosis (one on rca)spleenquillliverpool scenekew rhone

Comments

• osmosis (one on rca)

From what I can remember, nothing too mind-blowing. Worth checking out, but the album is really more rock with some orchestral/jazzy/psych moments...I should give it a listen again.

still, not exactly in the same class as AIR.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    soft machine

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dave did you ever grab any of those Iliad LPs out of Long Beach?

• I love psych jazz.

you might call the khan jamal LP just that.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

osmosis (one on rca)

this would be one of the best Psych-Rock records around if it wasnt for the damn flute player. Seriously, if they could find the masters and edit out the flute, the record would be amazing.

• osmosis (one on rca)

this would be one of the best Psych-Rock records around if it wasnt for the damn flute player. Seriously, if they could find the masters and edit out the flute, the record would be amazing.

ahhhh, it's all coming back to me now

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Guns and Butter on Cotillion is also pretty good and real cheap

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Hey I've been getting into some psych jazz mix. The best examples i can come up with are these two (air isn't really psych but it's sort of hard to classify):

name some of your favorites.

some i've been wondering about

osmosis (one on rca)
    spleen
    quill
    liverpool scene
    kew rhone

cosign that Air record is nice, I dont know that other one, Ive seen it on the SS board acouple of times, looks dope!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

• Just got this recently, although with only half the gatefold intact. Lionel Bart, with arrangements by JOhn Cameron on Deram. Very hard to classify - an interesting piece of zeitgeist, def. a cross-pollination of psych-jazz.

Just got this recently, although with only half the gatefold intact. Lionel Bart, with arrangements by JOhn Cameron on Deram. Very hard to classify - an interesting piece of zeitgeist, def. a cross-pollination of psych-jazz.

what year?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• The Free Spirits' album on ABC

Emergency! and Turn It Over by the Tony Williams Lifetime

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Just got this recently, although with only half the gatefold intact. Lionel Bart, with arrangements by John Cameron on Deram[/b] . Very hard to classify - an interesting piece of zeitgeist, def. a cross-pollination of psych-jazz.

this is a pretty good record. I remember the last track on side b is pretty dope

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Spleen, yeah. Good album. But I was wondering why people always refer to the group as Spleen, that's just the title; the group's name is The Sound Of Feeling:

or are we talking about a whole different record?
    While we're on the subject of Limelight Records, what about this one:

And co-sign on The Soft Machine. "Out-Bloody-Rageous" has been in heavy rotation for the last couple of weeks.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "Out-Bloody-Rageous" has been in heavy rotation for the last couple of weeks.

Is that at all akin to Nitro's "OutFuckingRageous"? 'Cause that shit is nuts. Dude sings like he's got mad ants on his krimpets.

Spleen, yeah. Good album. But I was wondering why people always refer to the group as Spleen, that's just the title; the group's name is The Sound Of Feeling:

or are we talking about a whole different record?
    While we're on the subject of Limelight Records, what about this one:

And co-sign on The Soft Machine. "Out-Bloody-Rageous" has been in heavy rotation for the last couple of weeks.

hal??jsa chef!!!
    hvad er nu det...mecki og the markmen, jeg tror faktisk ogs?? jeg har en med dem p?? limelight if??rt s??lvfarvede rumdragter...

• still checking the Freddie Hubbard section for this one.
    so far, zilch.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The Free Spirits' album on ABC

Emergency! and Turn It Over by the Tony Williams Lifetime

'Ego' is nice too. 'There Comes A Time' is the shit. Tony vocals are pretty psychy. Larry Young is killing it on the moody organ tip. Gil Evans' version is also nice.

• Would this qualify as psych jazz? Just dug it up. I like it. Has trippy Gamelan influences.

The Liverpool Scene... I just bought two records and parts of those are terrific. I would say it's deliberatly to much down to earth to be called psych jazz. Very humorous and ironic. The spoken lyrics are great.

• Just got this recently, although with only half the gatefold intact. Lionel Bart, with arrangements by JOhn Cameron on Deram. Very hard to classify - an interesting piece of zeitgeist, def. a cross-pollination of psych-jazz.

what year?

1969. It almost seems like it was for some theatrical play. Here's an audio snippet:

Into the Looking Glass

I've been really feeling the 1st Soft Machine...

yeah soft machine is

• Where jazz, psych and folk meet. Cheap too.

• still checking the Freddie Hubbard section for this one.
    so far, zilch.

I see this from time to time. Next time I'll holler.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Hey I've been getting into some psych jazz mix. The best examples i can come up with are these two (air isn't really psych but it's sort of hard to classify):

Hippy jazz-rock. I can't believe this album is in demand. To each his own, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Just got this recently, although with only half the gatefold intact. Lionel Bart, with arrangements by JOhn Cameron on Deram. Very hard to classify - an interesting piece of zeitgeist, def. a cross-pollination of psych-jazz.

what year?

1969. It almost seems like it was for some theatrical play. Here's an audio snippet:

Into the Looking Glass

I've been really feeling the 1st Soft Machine...

sounds a bit like the english version of bob dorough over can-ish music

• RezRez 164 Posts

name some of your favorites.

some i've been wondering about

osmosis (one on rca)
    spleen
    quill
    liverpool scene
    kew rhone

Spleen is killa Dave, essential - Ken Rhone is not...

Rez

• Does Ian Carr's Nucleus qualify as psych jazz?

id say more jazz rock on the nucleus, not really psyche, but i have yet to hear belladona which looks like a psych record

How about The Blue Yusef Lateef, Doug Carn: Adam's apple and Max Roach's Members, don't get wiery?

i would put the carn and roach stuff in the spiritual catagory, the lateef fits perfectly in the "other jazz" or "strange jazz" catagory

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts