"The most controversial rap album of the year"

13»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    also damien marley is quite clearly not a rap artist.

Is that another one of those "urban" pegs? He's black so we'll put him the the rap section????

Probably more because he is in heavy rotation on hip-hop radio stations. If that's how they make their chart, by what Jam'n stations across the country are playing, it makes sense for DM to be on there. I think it's awesome he's getting played in that format, btw - now my local Jam'n station does these late night "reggae mixes" where they actually play dope shit like "You Don't Love Me" and "Under Mi Sleng Teng," which would have been unheard of before "Welcome to Jamroc" crossed over so huge.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    Honestly, I'd assumed Kanye was the most controversial rap album of the year...

In the real world.

I was being tongue-in-cheek and referring to the controversy that hiphopsite and other members of the online community have attempted to stir up by claiming that the Little Brother album was "supposed" to get 4.5 mics from the Source and an XXL from XXL.

It's clearly not a very controversial album if the buying public is almost wholly unaware of it.

They sold 19,000 records. That's prolly doesn't even equal out to all the poptarts who are registered users on okayplayer.com, let alone the lurkers. Just like MIA, I am confident that everyone will soon shut the fuck up about these dudes.

• This CD offends me

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    then he experienced something like a 65% dropoff in the second week

the streets are not feelin it(like i said weeks ago)...and that's a very important endorsement these days...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

the streets are not feelin it(like i said weeks ago)...and that's a very important endorsement these days...

well, theres not a whole lot of songs I can really ride to with the windows down. You know? I still think kanye had a quality album though.

As far as little brother goes, I cant imagine who even gives a fuck. That BET conspiracy theory is also hilarious.

• Little Brother have shot themselves in the foot. By clearly being 'too cerebral' for your average dumb kids, they've distilled their fanbase down to dudes who have a solid knowledge of IT - thus are most likely to have whipped the album down using a torrent than paid good money for it.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    By clearly being 'too cerebral' for your average dumb kids, they've distilled their fanbase down to dudes who have a solid knowledge of IT

Unless these dudes are rapping about ISPs and IRC, I'm not buying this "too cerebral" shiz. Dudes are boring and derivative. Even "dumb kids" can see that.

-e

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Little Brother have shot themselves in the foot. By clearly being 'too cerebral' for your average dumb kids, they've distilled their fanbase down to dudes who have a solid knowledge of IT - thus are most likely to have whipped the album down using a torrent than paid good money for it.

Yup. They should have dumbed down for their audience and doubled their dollars.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Little Brother have shot themselves in the foot. By clearly being 'too cerebral' for your average dumb kids, they've distilled their fanbase down to dudes who have a solid knowledge of IT - thus are most likely to have whipped the album down using a torrent than paid good money for it.

Mel, please speak on the objective measure of musical quality that can be derived from first-week sales of 17.5K.

Mel, please speak on the objective measure of musical quality that can be derived from first-week sales of 17.5K.
    Well, objectively speaking, the LP sucks_on_ice and is likely boring and derivative, and at the same time, none of that prevents it from being too cerebral.

• I've been bumpin' the sampler all week. Feelin' it, makes me lift weights and do extra reps like I was Ross Hogg being guided by that Logg Record Trainer dude he has.

but yo...I said "sampler" not the "LP". I'm not sure if I can take a whole album of Little Brother. I really can't take a whole album of a lot of rap artistes.

• Although one could also say that the record being ignored or not played on major radio or BET could have something to do with it not doing well in sales... but then again it could be that its to "Cerebral"... Sayin... sales is directly correlated with spins and video rotation. If you don't have that then you aren't scanning...

Also don't get me wrong I am not saying that it should be doing more numbers or that its a good or bad album, but more to the fact that cerebral has noting to do with sales, marketing budgets has to do with sales.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Little Brother have shot themselves in the foot. By clearly being 'too cerebral' for your average dumb kids, they've distilled their fanbase down to dudes who have a solid knowledge of IT - thus are most likely to have whipped the album down using a torrent than paid good money for it.

So, they should make an album they don't enjoy to make money? I don't agree with this logic, but then again, I have a job so it doesn't matter. I don't make beats to eat. How do cats that made "hip-hop" resort to corn and live with themselves? Do they REALLY enjoy the corn they record, or do the dollars allow them to look the other way? I've always wondered this about cats like Mobb Deep (and they still don't sell that well) or other gritty cats that go corny.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    If nothing else, North Carolina's Little Brother has gathered around it a very loyal fan base, one that sees the trio of Phonte, Big Pooh and produced 9th Wonder as the logical heirs of the Native Tongues Posse (De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.) with their positive focus, jazzy, soulful sound and an anti-mainstream attitude. In that respect, the hype around them is reminiscent of what first greeted Slum Village in the late '90s though they've been more consistent than their Detroit colleagues. Yet, however likable their last album, The Listening and their latest are, the group are still an acquired flavor. To some, they turn out feel good, intelligent hip-hop for a more mature set. For others, they make throwback music that's pleasant enough but lacks punch otherwise. Phonte and Pooh sound solid throughout and 9th Wonder's much lauded production, while great in moments, can also drift into anemia too. An excess of skits is also a gamble with listener patience though the album's conceptual focus is a refreshing quality. For those who enjoyed Common's Be, this is better realized but musically, lacks the same depth. --Oliver Wang

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I really can't take a whole album of a lot of rap artistes.

very true nowadays. 'tis all about singles