The ECM Sound -- Discussion in two Parts

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    my mom always plays this in the car and i really dig it

That stuff is all crap. I'm sorry, but it has no sac to it.
    naw dog. you're just too close minded

Yeah, you're right; next time your moms takes me out, I'ma ask her to pop that Methany in the tape deck.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Game, set, match, tournament, season, career.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    make jokes if you want. im just sayin, its not all crap. all of those guys were INSANELY talented musicians and like AP said they were pushing the boundaries of not just jazz, but music in general

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Check your PMs already.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    DUDE! i havent been to the spot that has it in atleast 2 months. when i get there, i will pm you yo

all of those guys were INSANELY talented musicians and like AP said they were pushing the boundaries of not just jazz, but music in general

Did you type that straight from the liner notes to the Yngwie Malmsteen Anthology?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    What's up with the "if it ain't funky then it's not worth my time" mentality that is so abundant these days...

ECM is far from funky, not that groovable but has some nice stuff. They've put out solid records that are chill, spiritual and relaxing...

That stuff is all crap. I'm sorry, but it has no sac to it.
    naw dog. you're just too close minded

Yeah, you're right; next time your moms takes me out, I'ma ask her to pop that Methany in the tape deck.

So Daniel, after I drop of P*trick and his crew of PNC'z, maybe we can go over to Fudrucker's and get us something to eat. You know I'm wood grain grippin' in this ! [/b]

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

dudes, seriously shit is No Joke

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Yngwie Really? I was thinking...

bonus:

:vommit:

What's up with the "if it ain't funky then it's not worth my time" mentality that is so abundant these days...

I don't know what is up with that mentality, but perhaps you should ask the question in another thread--I doubt many of the people in this one dislike ECM because it's insufficiently "funky".

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    chill, spiritual and relaxing...

So you're saying you like Common? Oh the mix possiblities are endless...

ECM + Common = chill, spiritual, and relaxing

• dudes, seriously shit is No Joke

wow, that looks ILL please tell more

you could have more stealthily come out as faux's lover(s).

poo poo pants jazz

• dudes, seriously shit is No Joke

poo poo pants jazz

Shouldn't this picture of Mr. Braxton be accompanied by a bubbling noise???

Don't be a poptart about this, F***k.

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    It seems as if I always make threads here that get about 14 replies, then the same thread is made a few weeks later w/3 pages.
    ECM.
    ECM.
    good label, but spotty. LIEBMASTER nuff said
    MARION BROWNafternoonofageorgia faun=music for the apocalypse and after
    shit anthony braxton used to be good.
    CIRCLE.coreahollanbraxtonastchul. group music. very european.
    MIROSLAV VITOUS.why has no one mentioned him yet i'm ashamed.
    DAVE HOLLAND in general, this man held it down and still does
    JAN GARBERAK AND PAT METHENY could go either way. made a little good stuff but not much. afric pepperbird is insanity as is song x. metheney can play he just doesn't always choose to. if that makes sense.
    KEITH JARRETT he's pretty pretentious, but he's probably the best piano player around right now.
    LOTS MORE.
    LOTS MORE CRAP.

I have heard ECM CD's and yes they do have a silence at the begginign of the first song. Thank you.

Time of original disparaging post = 4:21

Time of this post = 4:29

Total time devoted to scouring the internet(s) for jpegs of "penguin wankery" = 8 minutes

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Throwback penguin.

Post deleted by DenmarkVZ

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Now you just sound apologetic.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Total time devoted to scouring the internet(s) for jpegs of "penguin wankery" = 8 minutes

Oh, is that what that was? I thought you were being taken to task for a fondness for Munsingwear or something, kinda like how folks used to dis Le Tigre ("Couldn't afford the alligator, huh?").

I know this is from the other thread, but: From here on, any Mike Seaver renting-the-attic type that comes sideways should be presented with a .jpeg of Daily Living Skills and told that they "need to mint up, son."

Re: Offramp: "Are You Going With Me" is to the 1980s as "Sadeness (Part 1)" is to the 1990s. Recognize.

My favorite shit on ECM is Meredith Monk. I did pay a fiver for that book of all the covers, though. The corners on that thing are mad sharp.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    kinda like how folks used to dis Le Tigre ("Couldn't afford the alligator, huh?").

Where is the Tiger? Where is the Tiger???

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

poo poo pants jazz

Don't listen to him. This record is basically a bunch of dudes chilling out in a field thinking about "how Alabama sounds." It's really perfect summertime music, very light and a sprinkle of spooky. I can't, unfortunately, find a photo online of the back of the LP where it's Marion Brown and his lady sitting in a field looking super pleasant and content. This record is kind of like how a contact high feels.

Also of note is Brown's liner notes, where he writes about instruments he made for this recording, one being a bunch of pots and pans he attached violin strings to. He also speaks about the importance (to him) of having non-musicians play, because "everyone has rhythm." Dude is just trying to chill, basically and how can you hate on that?

kinda like how folks used to dis Le Tigre ("Couldn't afford the alligator, huh?").

Seriously, that shit is coming back. I went to the mall *ahem* maaaaaaooowwwlll (to tear it up) and they had a whole display in Macy's. Best believe it'll be the official gear for cornball white kids who strive to be the next Carson Daily.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Word. "Are You Going With Me" is the joint.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

I don't know what that means, but I will say this: The summer that was bookended by "When Doves Cry" and "Let's Go Crazy," I got some points from my girl Amy because I threw some darts and popped some balloons and won her a plush toy of an alligator that was wearing a three-button shirt with a little person embroidered on the breast. At the time, that seemed pretty fuckin' postmodern.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Oh, is that what that was? I thought you were being taken to task for a fondness for Munsingwear or something, kinda like how folks used to dis Le Tigre ("Couldn't afford the alligator, huh?").

I know this is from the other thread, but: From here on, any Mike Seaver renting-the-attic type that comes sideways should be presented with a .jpeg of Daily Living Skills and told that they "need to mint up, son."

Re: Offramp: "Are You Going With Me" is to the 1980s as "Sadeness (Part 1)" is to the 1990s. Recognize.

My favorite shit on ECM is Meredith Monk. I did pay a fiver for that book of all the covers, though. The corners on that thing are mad sharp.

I wish I knew what any of this means, but I like Meredith Monk too. My mom put me up on game, as well as lending me her Laurie Anderson LP collection. Bugged out. But she did used to bump Talking Heads in the car in the eighties on rides to and from skewl.