HURRICANE RITA

13»

Comments

• AREARE 34 Posts
    what up yall, This shit is gonna be crazy. I've sent my girl and my daughter out of town and me and my dog are gonna stick it out. I've got plenty of water, food and I've put wood and tape on the windows. I'll keep yall updated. peace

• Damn, your gonna stay there? Please be safe man.

• Yeah, and Port Arthur is 40 miles from the Texas-Louisiana border.

PAT is about to get way more trill (and not in a good way).

Visuals to reiterate my above statement:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/fronts/KATRINA?SITE=CAFRA&SECTION=TOP_STORIES

Wow.

Apparently, my folks left Port Arthur yesterday, realized it was hopeless to try to drive (2 mph out of Houston, according to some), so they turned back and were planning to try to head to Ft. Worth early this morning.

• NOLA levies already breached.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2005/09/23/news/local/news05.txt

More lizard people.....but it's got me thinking........

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Just cause hurricanes are fueled by warm water doesn't mean global warming has anything to do with them getting bigger.......at all............. really I mean it...........I'm serious.......Bush saysy so.................you believe me don't you?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/09/23/hurricane.cycle/index.html

• Galveston:

Beaumont:

Port Arthur? Couldn't find pics yet, but I've been glued to the TV. It ain't good. That goes double for Lake Charles.

• what up yall, This shit is gonna be crazy. I've sent my girl and my daughter out of town and me and my dog are gonna stick it out. I've got plenty of water, food and I've put wood and tape on the windows. I'll keep yall updated. peace

damn homie, you were right. shoulda stayed my ass in houston. im stuck in austin with a bunch of damn hippies. ol girl im hollerin at, took her 12 hours to get here

• All Texans, please check in!

My parents and sister are still in Fort Worth and Plano. I'm really worried about their homes. Hope everyone's safe and sound.

• Port Arthur? Couldn't find pics yet, but I've been glued to the TV. It ain't good. That goes double for Lake Charles.
    Has anyone seen pictures of these two towns? I've been watching the tube over the weekend trying to see what's up.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Serious lack of coverage.

I guess everybody is "over" it.

• Serious lack of coverage.

Yeah, didn't you hear kate moss does coke. Who cares about hurricanes i want more coked out super models.

• Serious lack of coverage.

Yeah, didn't you hear kate moss does coke. Who cares about hurricanes i want more coked out super models.
    Or Demi and Ashton...Really sad and pathetic is the state of this country.

• From what I saw the Bayou really got messed up...towns of like 12,000 completely underwater.

• Lake Charles is devastated. Completely flooded.

My hometown (Groves/Port Arthur) still has no electricity or sewage services. No one's allowed to return yet, except for emergency workers, police and such. Lots and lots of downed trees everywhere. Shit looks bad. See?

Dude's house caved in around him.

That creek behind them? Highway 69.

It was a trip to see my hometown Dairy Queen get demolished on live television. And to see one of these:

blown over like a cardboard box at a gas station. My first job (age 13-16) was delivering ice. I might have helped set up that damn thing! BTW: The Iceman, my old boss, looked like a cross between Roy Clark and John Goodman and could grab the far bottom edge of one of those things and pick it up on some serious He-Man shit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Really really sorry, Ross.

• UPDATE!

My brother-in-law works for a refinery (same one as loudwizard, who I really hope is AOK), so he was able to get back in to take some pics of the hometown (Groves). My parents' home of the last 45 years just missed serious damage. Check out the tree I grew up climbing:

Whew! Now, the bad news.

No mail until 10/31.

Still no water (but it may be back "soon").

No electricity for probably a month, and even then, it won't be for all 15,000 residents.

Full electricity probably won't be back for 6 months[/b].

Thanks to everyone who's sent encouraging words my way. I've passed them on to my family, as well. It means a lot.

In the meantime, please keep supporting all the hurricane relief efforts/benefits that you can, because people are already starting to see this as "last week's news." Many people in many towns are going to be hurting for a very long time. Please smile on your brother (and sister).

• UPDATE!

My brother-in-law works for a refinery (same one as loudwizard, who I really hope is AOK), so he was able to get back in to take some pics of the hometown (Groves). My parents' home of the last 45 years just missed serious damage. Check out the tree I grew up climbing:

Whew! Now, the bad news.

No mail until 10/31.

Still no water (but it may be back "soon").

No electricity for probably a month, and even then, it won't be for all 15,000 residents.

Full electricity probably won't be back for 6 months[/b].

Thanks to everyone who's sent encouraging words my way. I've passed them on to my family, as well. It means a lot.

In the meantime, please keep supporting all the hurricane relief efforts/benefits that you can, because people are already starting to see this as "last week's news." Many people in many towns are going to be hurting for a very long time. Please smile on your brother (and sister).

glad your family and their house is ok. thats the main two things, everything else will fall into place eventually. are they sticking it out without water/electricity?? or are they gonna spend that duration somewhere else?

• glad your family and their house is ok. thats the main two things, everything else will fall into place eventually.

• glad your family and their house is ok. thats the main two things, everything else will fall into place eventually. are they sticking it out without water/electricity?? or are they gonna spend that duration somewhere else?

Thanks, Guys.

And yeah, my folks are probably just gonna stay up north at my uncle's apartment. No point in going back until there's at least water.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    I just heard from my wife that her cousin's family and her uncle have both lost everything. They were able to make it out of NOLA before the hurricane hit and went to Houston to stay with another cousin. After finding out they have lost everything they are now living in Houston.

• I just heard from my wife that her cousin's family and her uncle have both lost everything. They were able to make it out of NOLA before the hurricane hit and went to Houston to stay with another cousin. After finding out they have lost everything they are now living in Houston.

Fuck, Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. That's an all-too-common tale in those parts, I'm afraid.

A NOLA couple moved into the renthouse next door to my parents and said that they wouldn't move back to NOLA because there was nothing there for them. My parent's house was mostly spared, but theirs has a sizable hole in the roof. I just hope their landlord takes care of it as quickly as possible.

Evacuees who lose everything, move to another state, and have to evacuate again two weeks later, only to return to a hole in their new roof.

God damn.

Song for the moments: Mighty Diamonds "I Need A Roof."