HURRICANE RITA

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    wait a sec, didn't Aleit flee to Texas? I wonder if he has to move again?
    Yeah, he did. I think he's in Austin. Will the hurricane hit there?

Austin's a safe distance away, no problems there.

• My prayers go out to everyone.

Hope all of you folks stay safe and sound through this one.
    The climate is bugging out this year.

• wait a sec, didn't Aleit flee to Texas? I wonder if he has to move again?

could get a little rough...even though we are way inland from NOLA, Katrina still knocked over trees, knocked out power and fucked some shit up here in Memphis.

• wait a sec, didn't Aleit flee to Texas? I wonder if he has to move again?

could get a little rough...even though we are way inland from NOLA, Katrina still knocked over trees, knocked out power and fucked some shit up here in Memphis.
    Oh shit. I didn't see that on the news. Not to get further off topic but did Katrina do any damage to western Florida (Pensacola, Panama City, etc,.)? I mean it's right under the Mobile area.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Just heard on CNBC that it's a Category 5 now.

Holy fuck,

surface winds of 165 mph... Katrina had 175 mph winds over the Gulf

• And check out this article about how gas could hit $5 a gallon (you listening, Nate?).

Just talked to my dad, who doesn't seem concerned. He says it's headed right for Matagorda as of now, which is where Hurricane Carla hit in 1961. Carla was the Katrina of its time. Still, Port Arthur will get--at the very least--high tides, winds, and tons of rain.

This will be very bad.

• edubedub 715 Posts

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    thanks for the concern. i am still in austin. Austin will definitely get rain and be crappy (cancel City Limits Fest people) but i don't think it will be as bad as Houston should the storm continue on its current track.

Any Houston folks leaving, PM me with your cell #. I have a hotel room here in Austin gratis for Katrina evacs. I am splitting town for a few days to head up to Dallas (non-Hurricane Related) and i would like to help one y'all out w/ a spot to crash for a few days. it will actually help me out as well to have someone here.

i PMed Pointman but i wanna make sure i can get this to someone as i'm heading out first thing tomorrow morn.

good luck- i've been following things closely on the news and i know exactly what sort of feelings are surfacing- just grab what's essential. if you leave tomorrow GET SOME SLEEP and rest your heads. make sure to scoop up any friends or family that need a lift- i left solo in the middle of the night and i regretted it every day watching the aftermath of Katrina that i had not filled my car to capacity. Knock on your neighbors doors.

peace.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

surface winds of 165 mph... Katrina had 175 mph winds over the Gulf

this is all pretty fucked up.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    thanks for the concern. i am still in austin. Austin will definitely get rain and be crappy (cancel City Limits Fest people) but i don't think it will be as bad as Houston should the storm continue on its current track.

Any Houston folks leaving, PM me with your cell #. I have a hotel room here in Austin gratis for Katrina evacs. I am splitting town for a few days to head up to Dallas (non-Hurricane Related) and i would like to help one y'all out w/ a spot to crash for a few days. it will actually help me out as well to have someone here.

i PMed Pointman but i wanna make sure i can get this to someone as i'm heading out first thing tomorrow morn.

good luck- i've been following things closely on the news and i know exactly what sort of feelings are surfacing- just grab what's essential. if you leave tomorrow GET SOME SLEEP and rest your heads. make sure to scoop up any friends or family that need a lift- i left solo in the middle of the night and i regretted it every day watching the aftermath of Katrina that i had not filled my car to capacity. Knock on your neighbors doors.

peace.

Hey man its really kind of you to offer such a thing. Yes I was the guy in the green hat you met in Austin at the benefit show. Sweet fucking irony I played a benefit show there two weeks ago and now I am fleeing there as an evacuee.

I have had a friend offer to let me crash on his floor with some other folks so I am not showing up in Austin without shelter. So if you know someone else who doesn't have a place to go please pass such an offer to them before me. I don't want to infringe on your place but if this means I can help you out by staying and it helps you to keep the place longer than I will do it no problem.

If you or anyone else knows anyone that needs a ride out of the Houston area or needs a hand in some way let me know.

I gonna try to give you a ring on the phone but so you know the lines have been out of all fucked up since folks started getting out of dodge. If I can't get you on the horn then I will try sending you a text message those seem to work most of the time and they are even saying on the news to send texts instead of calls. I will be bringing my laptop so I should be able to get online to check the strut and emails.

Oh I am fleeing my beloved city with most of the raer I could never continue my life without. So regardless of me crashing at your place we should kick it while I am in town and nerd out on some records.

br /

• Options
    Ym emteorologist buddy tells me because of the ridges of pressure above and to the west that once the storm hits Texas, it's basically going to hover/be held there for bit until those ridges pass.

My heart is with you guys. Stay safe.

Kevin.

P.S. Those computer similations of Rita's force on Galveston are

• i'll be working through the storm here in the Gulf Coast.

somebody has to shut this fucking refinery down.

Which refinery? I'm from Port Arthur/Groves and grew up next to tons of 'em. I also delivered ice for three years to construction accounts deep inside plenty of refineries.

Be safe, Dude! And good luck.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Shit. Im praying for you guys.

Be safe.

Which refinery? I'm from Port Arthur/Groves and grew up next to tons of 'em. I also delivered ice for three years to construction accounts deep inside plenty of refineries.

heya Ross, yeah we've rapped before, i'm Graham aka merle.

I work @ Motiva, the old Texaco refinery.

right now it looks like we'll be ok here in PAT,
    as long as Rita doesn't make an unexpected north turn.
    shit is always subject to change, though,
    as i'm sure you know.

remember any hurricanes from your days in Texas? Bonnie? or Alicia?

it's strange when I think how many of these I've been through...

heya Ross, yeah we've rapped before, i'm Graham aka merle.

I work @ Motiva, the old Texaco refinery.

right now it looks like we'll be ok here in PAT,
    as long as Rita doesn't make an unexpected north turn.
    shit is always subject to change, though,
    as i'm sure you know.

remember any hurricanes from your days in Texas? Bonnie? or Alicia?

it's strange when I think how many of these I've been through...

Damn, Graham! I know that old refinery a little too well. And I got uncles who worked there for 40 years (Gulf, too).

And yes, I remember Bonnie like it was yesterday. July '86, right? I was working for the Iceman Ice Company (at age 15) and we were pullin' 14-hour days after Bonnie because no one had power.

Alicia, too...ah, the memories! Get plenty of oil for your hurricane lamp and keep checkin' in.

BTW: My pops said that he's not too worried and that he has a lot of faith in that 14-foot diesel-powered levee. Let's hope he's right.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    so what's the latest on this? i might have been sleeping when i woke up to my radio but they said its been upgraded to level 5?!?!?!?

• BTW: My pops said that he's not too worried and that he has a lot of faith in that 14-foot diesel-powered levee. Let's hope he's right.

Damn! My parents evacuated this morning. This is burly.

In related news, the governor of Texas ordered that ALL 8 lanes of I-45 be converted to northbound traffic for 125 miles. Good call.

My people...hold on.

• Shit. Im praying for you guys.

Be safe.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    well the way it looks now it's taking a turn away from galveston houston area. more towards louisiana texas border. any where it hits it's going to be felt for a wide area and into the shoreline as far as dallas.

• Yeah, and Port Arthur is 40 miles from the Texas-Louisiana border.

PAT is about to get way more trill (and not in a good way).

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Should any of you end up in Phoenix, PM me.

Stay up.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    i got relatives trying to get the fuck out of houston right now and they say it's taking some people 15-18 hrs. to drive out of town?! is this true or is it more exageration from my crazy family?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    i got relatives trying to get the fuck out of houston right now and they say it's taking some people 15-18 hrs. to drive out of town?! is this true or is it more exageration from my crazy family?

Friends I know trying to leave town are having a tough time due to all the traffic. Some even decided to just go back to a shelter where others they knew were staying because after driving 8 hours they only made it 40 miles, and they left around 1am.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Friends I know trying to leave town are having a tough time due to all the traffic. Some even decided to just go back to a shelter where others they knew were staying because after driving 8 hours they only made it 40 miles, and they left around 1am.

HOLY SHIT.

but in my opinion, i think texans should keep on riding out of town. rita's not supposed to hit until tomorrow night, right?
    i really hope the local and federal govts are preparing their little asses off for rita's arrival.

this shit is UGLY!!! I just spent 3 hours in FUCKED off traffic trying to get to the airport, another 3 hours in line JUST to check in baggage only to find out that there was only ONE (!!!) TSA security person that came to work today!!! So the international (terminal E) portion of IAH was effectively shut the fuck down!!!

We're stuck here, unless I can get a flight out tomorrow morning which depends on whether planes will even be flying tomorrow.

People are stuck in traffic for hours on end and running out of gas all over town. We pulled up into our parking lot and 2 yuppies in an SUV rolled up and asked us where they can find gas. They were from Deer Park (far SE houston) and had been driving from 7pm on WEDNESDAY and only had gotten as far as the Copperfield (hwy 6 and 290 area) We are on E ourselves and had stopped at damn near EVERY gas station from the far north side of Houston to the Copperfield area, and NOT ONE station had a drop of gas.

this shit is UGLY!!!

Listen to the live coverage and hella fucked off callers with wild ass stories on

KPFT's hurricane coverage... Sad shit yall.

Mass Exodus Creates Traffic Jams 100 Miles Inland
    1.8 Million Gulf Coast Residents Flee For Higher Ground

POSTED: 7:17 am CDT September 22, 2005
    UPDATED: 4:20 pm CDT September 22, 2005

HOUSTON -- Hundreds of thousands of people across the Houston metropolitan area struggled to make their way inland in a bumper-to-bumper exodus Thursday as Hurricane Rita closed in on the nation's fourth-largest city with winds howling at a terrifying 165 mph.

Drivers ran out of gas in 14-hour traffic jams or looked in vain for a place to stay as hotels hundreds of miles away filled up.[/b]

An estimated 1.8 million residents or more in Texas and Louisiana were under orders to evacuate to avoid a deadly repeat of Katrina.

The Category 5 storm weakened slightly Thursday morning as it swirled across the Gulf of Mexico, and forecasters said it could lose more steam by the time it comes ashore late Friday or early Saturday. But it could still be an extremely dangerous hurricane -- one aimed straight at a section of coastline with the nation's biggest concentration of oil refineries.

"Whatever happens is going to happen and we are going to have a monumental task ahead of us once the storm passes," Galveston City Manager Steve LeBlanc said. "Galveston is going to suffer, and we are going to need to get it back in order as soon as possible." http://www.click2houston.com/automotive/5005714/detail.html

• checking in, left houston at 4pm, got here around 10, whats normally a 2 1/2 hour drive turned into a 6 hour one. stop and go traffic for 70 miles aint that fun. when i made it to highway 71 it wasnt so bad. hopefully houston wont get it so bad now that it turned. i heard it took some folks 15 hours!! 24 hours from houston to dallas, normally 4 1/2.

hope everyone makes it out alright, but dont pray for me, pray for my raers man!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    checking in, left houston at 4pm, got here around 10, whats normally a 2 1/2 hour drive turned into a 6 hour one. stop and go traffic for 70 miles aint that fun. when i made it to highway 71 it wasnt so bad. hopefully houston wont get it so bad now that it turned. i heard it took some folks 15 hours!! 24 hours from houston to dallas, normally 4 1/2.

hope everyone makes it out alright, but dont pray for me, pray for my raers man!!

I don't pray period, but I wish you and your raers the best.

Be glad it only took you that long. Been listening to NPR all day and it seems like traffic has been a virtual stand still in the area for some time now.

Seriously to all who have thought about making it to the west coast (if need be) my couch is available.

• September 23, 2005
    Up to 20 Dead in Fire Aboard Evacuees' Bus
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Video Report: The Scene Outside Dallas
    WILMER, Texas (AP) -- A bus carrying elderly evacuees from Hurricane Rita caught fire early Friday on a gridlocked highway near Dallas, killing as many as 20 people, authorities said.

''Deputies were unable to get everyone off the bus,'' spokesman Don Peritz said. ''We believe it's going to be closer to 20 fatalities.

The bus, carrying about 45 people, was engulfed with flames, causing a 17-mile backup on Interstate 45, already heavily congested with evacuees from the Gulf Coast. The bus was reduced to a blackened, burned-out shell, surrounded by numerous police cars and ambulances.

There were indications that oxygen used by elderly evacuees could have had a role in the fire, Peritz said. There were a series of explosions, apparently from the oxygen equipment, he said.

''The early indications are this is a mechanical issue. The driver did survive the accident,'' Peritz said. ''It's my understanding he went back on the bus several times to try to evacuate people.''

Interstate 45 stretches more than 250 miles from Galveston through Houston to Dallas. The crash site is roughly 17 miles southeast of downtown Dallas.