Weekday Finds (9/19-23)

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Fuego Cubano: Irakeere, Arturo Sandoval and Chucho Valdes

Brazilian: Maria Bethania, Clara Nunes, MPB4 and Sivuca

And last but not least, Rodolfo Mederos avant-garde or progressive tango! Been looking for this one for a while. this guy played with Piazzolla, pure genious.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Convertion - Let's Do It
    Universal Robot Band - Freak With Me
    Young & Co. - I Like (What You're Doing)

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

damm that woman got a zappa honker nose on that drama joint
    wtf is that?
    snagged Chariot of the gods lp
    hidden strength lp sealed
    weldon Irvine- spirit man

That's Maria Bethania, Caetano Veloso's sister. Never heard of her?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

classic mid 90's boombap

My copy has a different label without the brow background.

• How is that Donald Byrd-Ethiopian Knights?

OK, in my opinion. His Mizell stuff is better on the Fusion tip, and Ethiopian Knights for the Soul-Jazz.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/crates/list.php?category=B&page=28
    Thanks. Maybe I need to read the reviews more often. I saw that record on legend's website and wanted to know what's up before I spent my doe on it. Thanks everybody.

• El Afrocombo - Pan Con Salsa (Coste??a)
    Willie Ramirez Y Su Conjunto - La Perla (?) (Pegassus)
    Orquestra Broadway - Salvaje Savage (Coco)
    Ray Barretto - Together (Fania)
    Ray Barretto - Power (Fania)
    Ray Barretto - The Message (Fania)
    Eddie Palmieri $ Friends - In Concert At The University Of Puerto Rico (Coco)
    Charlie Palmieri - ElectroDuro (Coco)
    Charlie Palmieri Y Su Orquestra - Vuelve El Gigante (Alegre)
    Bobby Rodriguez Y La Compania - Lead Me To That Beautiful Band (Vaya)
    Cal Tjader & Eddie Palmieri - El Sonido Nuevo (Verve)
    Roberto Roena Y Su Apollo Sound - 6 (International)
    Mongo Santamaria - Up From The Roots (Atlantic)
    Jos?? Mangual - Buy?? (Turnstyle)
    Pacheco Y El Conde - Los Compadres (Fania)
    Orchestra Dicup?? - S/T (Fania)
    Orchestra Harlow - Salsa (Fania)

Sweet Sable - Old Times' Sake (from the Above The Rim sndtrk)

I was this close to 411-ing Se??or Paychecks at Good Records to ask which of these pieces I should pick up, but then I bargained with ol' dude behind the counter and got 'em all for $40.

Now I just gotta find the time to listen to 'em all.

Herm

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

oh well i got some stuff today in the "real world" disco heads let me know if these are worth anything paid about .60 each

kwick-s/t cool modern soul (hey guzzo you should have this)

got doubles (anybody need a copy)

Did you get that package yet?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    And last but not least, Rodolfo Mederos avant-garde or progressive tango! Been looking for this one for a while. this guy played with Piazzolla, pure genious.

jorge do you have his second lp fuera de bruma? it's some serious accordian drama funk. i've always wanted to check out the record you got. i don't know if i'm ready for avant garde progressive tango though.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    jorge do you have his second lp fuera de bruma? it's some serious accordian drama funk. i've always wanted to check out the record you got. i don't know if i'm ready for avant garde progressive tango though.

Nope, "Fuera de broma" is still on my want list. I got "Buenas noches, Paula" and "Verdades y mentiras".
    I could make mp3s of "De todas maneras" if you want to check it out. ?

• LP's
    Get Ready For The Floaters & Shu-Ga - Same
    Jimmie & Vella Cameron - Song Painters
    White Heat - Same
    Carol Woods - Out Of The Woods
    Mascara - See You In L.A.
    Clarence Reid - On The Job

12"s
    Donald Byrd - Wind Parade
    Kinky Foxx - So Different
    Chain Reaction - Dance Freak
    Ray Munnings - It Could Happen To You

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    MYSTERME

classic mid 90's boombap

My copy has a different label without the brow background.

this is the third (fourth?) pressing and the 2nd on Gee St.

• oh well i got some stuff today in the "real world" disco heads let me know if these are worth anything paid about .60 each

kwick-s/t cool modern soul (hey guzzo you should have this)

got doubles (anybody need a copy)

Did you get that package yet?

yeah i got the record but you didn't mention to me that the entire upper seam was split.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Nope, "Fuera de broma" is still on my want list. I got "Buenas noches, Paula" and "Verdades y mentiras".
    I could make mp3s of "De todas maneras" if you want to check it out. ?

yeah i'd love that. i can do the same with fuera if you'd like. i thought these were his only two lps btw. what's the word on those other two.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

yeah i'd love that. i can do the same with fuera if you'd like. i thought these were his only two lps btw. what's the word on those other two.

OK, I'll make the mp3s on the weekend. I'd like those "Fuera" mp3s too.
    "Buenas noches, Paula" and "Verdades y mentiras" are good, but not as good as "De todas maneras". I think I got a double of "Buenas noches...". Keep you posted.

• And last but not least, Rodolfo Mederos <<< avant-garde or progressive tango! Been looking for this one for a while. this guy played with Piazzolla, pure genious.

I'm not a big fan of that album; if anybody wants to trade for my copy, let me know. Jorge, i dedicated some JLR to you on my show this afternoon.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I'm not a big fan of that album; if anybody wants to trade for my copy, let me know. Jorge, i dedicated some JLR to you on my show this afternoon.

Thanks Danno! What did you play? I've been trying all the afternoon to stream your show at work. No luck, must be the fucking firewall. Any hint?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Some stuff I found for cheap today, in the real world, at Replay Records in Stockton:

Stop sleepin', dave!

Recently picked up that Cal Tjader. Really nice. Espicially the Rollling Stones cover.

Ethiopian Knights is all killer no filler. Sorry for the people that don't like it. This record got a pretty big thread not long ago with everyone saying how great it was.

• Found about 65 hip-hop LP's and 12"s in a thrift store today. All from 1987-1992. UMC's, EPMD, Tribe, De la, Cash Money, Eazy-E, Marley Marl, Kane, etc. Most are for the shop but I'm keeping:

Jungle Brothers - Because I Got it Like That
    Chi-Ali - Let the Horns Blow/Funky Lemonade
    Alliance - We Can Get Use to This
    Ultramagnetic MC's - Give the Drummer Some
    Main Source - Breaking Atoms
    and
    Eddie Jefferson - Come Along With Me (Prestige)

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Found about 65 hip-hop LP's and 12"s in a thrift store today. All from 1987-1992. UMC's, EPMD, Tribe, De la, Cash Money, Eazy-E, Marley Marl, Kane, etc. Most are for the shop but I'm keeping:

Jungle Brothers - Because I Got it Like That
    Chi-Ali - Let the Horns Blow/Funky Lemonade
    Alliance - We Can Get Use to This
    Ultramagnetic MC's - Give the Drummer Some
    Main Source - Breaking Atoms
    and
    Eddie Jefferson - Come Along With Me (Prestige)
    DAMN!DAMN!DAMN!DAMN!DAMN!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    some philly intls...

and nilsson

• RezRez 164 Posts

LP's
    Get Ready For The Floaters & Shu-Ga - Same
    Jimmie & Vella Cameron - Song Painters
    White Heat - Same
    Carol Woods - Out Of The Woods
    Mascara - See You In L.A.
    Clarence Reid - On The Job

12"s
    Donald Byrd - Wind Parade
    Kinky Foxx - So Different
    Chain Reaction - Dance Freak
    Ray Munnings - It Could Happen To You

Hey Greg - nice finds - particularly on the 12s...

M Rez

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What's the deal with that Clarence Reid LP?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

What's the deal with that Clarence Reid LP?

It's from the Late 70's. I haven't listened to it in awhile, but if I remember correctly it sounds alot like Little Beaver's Bever Fever" lp from the same time.

Although like all the other late 70's Alston, Cat and smaller TK related labels it is

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Late Show and Ghetto Suite are out there for anyone thats interested

Picked up a few nice thangs today

been getting sneak-preview action at a spot

where I was once anonymous customer #2413

and damn it feels good to get early dibs:

Minnie Ripperton - Come to My Garden - Janus[/b]

Sealed!!! Are there many pressings of this? Def. a 70's press, on Janus, but I find ref to at least 2 US pressings, with a re-release in '74 after the success of "Loving You" - anyone know how to tell what's what?

Roger - Many Facets of - Warner Bros[/b]

Not a raer, but one I haven't seen around for a while, and a cheap clean WLP. And a dope record. What's up with his inner sleeve rant about George Clinton, who he says should "live a million years?"

Marvin Gaye - That's the Way Love Is - Tamla[/b]

My MG white whale at last...strangely scarce 1969 LP produced by Norman Whitfield, with awesome covers ("Cloud Nine" "Groovin'" "I Wish It Would Rain") and even better originals ("How Could I Forget" "That's the Way...")...$1.99 "as is" copy that plays with like 2 crackles. I live for this shit.

Dennis Coffey - Electric Coffey - Sussex[/b]

let the hatters hat - I like and listen to my Coffey records..."Evolution" is the shit, "Goin' for Myself" just as good, and this one completes the triad. Unless I stumble across an OG "Hair and Thangs," I think my Dennis Coffey purchasing days are now over.

Harvey Mason - Funk in a Mason Jar - Arista[/b] mint wlp

Mary Jane Girls - S/T - Gordy[/b] sealed copy of another one that doesn't turn up as much as it used to, I haven't opened it yet, but I'm hoping the version of "All Night Long" ain't the 45 mix...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Some more real world finds. Private press rock raer; Takoma folk burner, etc.

And a few arrivals:

I was envious of that Gordon's War heatrock auction. One of many that quickly shot out of my range.

• not bad

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I was envious of that Gordon's War heatrock auction. One of many that quickly shot out of my range.
    It's a double.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Some more real world finds. Private press rock raer; Takoma folk burner, etc.

Jon, How is the Richard Ruskin?