60's Style Vintage Recordings to Sample??

contramarkcontramark 8 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Hi im new to this forum. This is my first post actually, and although I find this site is oriented to more hiphop funk style music, I wanted to know if anyone could send me in the right direction to find 60's type vintage tape samples (strings, xylaphones, guitars, chamber reverb vocals etc.) Ive been somewhat succesful getting a collection of sounds from the various CD samplers out there. Uberschall's "Easy Listening", Power FX's "The Love and Pop String Thing", etc..... However I feel im at the end of the road with sampler cds out there and want to put my turntable to use. Any ideas where to start? I spent some time at a local record shop called 'Siren Records' in doylestown, PA and they had a pretty nice selection of vinyl with one section labeled easy listening. But I feel i need a better direction to go than just random searching and listening. Any feedback will help. Thanks.

-mark

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    hmmm...

• any help?? stuff similar to something you might hear from caribou, koushik, four tet??

• Options
    Koushik is on here now and again. MAybe he'll give you all his secrets and you can be him.

K.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    im gonna go out on a limb and say your in the wrong place, and people are probably gearing up to eat you a new asshole. i predict a pointer to the-breaks.com. good luck.

oh and hit up the dollar bin and learn your chops.

peace.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    MAybe he'll give you all his secrets and you can be him.

AYO!

• step 1. purchase a portable record player

step 2. hit your local thrift shops

step 3. put in some work

• Options
    I fail to see any ayo-ness in the above statement. I ran ayo-ckeck!

K.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

K.

sexual secrets

it was a stretch

• Options
    step 1. purchase a portable record player

step 2. hit your local thrift shops

step 3. put in some work

step 4. reply to one of our comments, and while doing so take note of the graemlin with Boz Scaggs sitting on a bench

• girgir 329 Posts
    But I feel i need a better direction to go than just random searching and listening.

random searching and listening is what it's all about.

like everyone else is saying, get a portable turntable and get to work.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

K.

sexual secrets

it was a stretch

There's no stretch with this one

people are probably gearing up to eat you a new asshole.

• dude, just go to the thrift store and buy an armload of $0.25 records, take 'em home, sample or discard, repeat.

• Since everyone else is just repeating themselves about getting a portable (good advice by the way), I'll give you another hint -- all that 60s pop shit is very well documented on the internet.

Welcome to Soulstrut!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Welcome to Soulstrut!

• Koushik is on here now and again. MAybe he'll give you all his secrets and you can be him.

K.

hmm ok, well im not exactly trying to steal their style or sexual secrets but I guess i was refering some influences which i thought would help since my original post didnt get any responses. I thought the name of the forum "crate digging" might be the right place to ask this question, but it seems some of you would rather be complete douchebags than help me out.

-----well thanks to the others, i guess random searching is where to go, although i was hoping maybe for a couple key records. peace.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Koushik is on here now and again. MAybe he'll give you all his secrets and you can be him.

K.

hmm ok, well im not exactly trying to steal their style or sexual secrets but I guess i was refering some influences which i thought would help since my original post didnt get any responses. I thought the name of the forum "crate digging" might be the right place to ask this question, but it seems some of you would rather be complete douchebags than help me out.

-----well thanks to the others, i guess random searching is where to go, although i was hoping maybe for a couple key records. peace.

There are no "key records" in this genre--they're pretty much all equally crap.

• Here's a key title:

Moon Gas by Dick Hyman

OK?

• Here's a key title:

Moon Gas by Dick Hyman

OK?

Plaese to send

• I'm feeling mighty generous today, so I'll fill you in on a little diddy.

http://www.scorebaby.com/

Now it's your opportunity to contribute something to the strut. You know, give and take mate.

Save yourself from being outted quick.

peas.

• hey thanks alot. that site is exactly type of stuff im looking for.

• "quote"

and maybe some people are confused (or really dont care), but im not looking to throw a party and dj old 60's records. im trying to build songs using old vintage style samples /w fx for like the texture and backgrounds.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    well you're asking for something that isn't really definable. A lot of stuff you're quoting (caribou/manitoba, etc) are just dudes going through really garbage records and flipping them, or even collecting vintage keyboards/synths. It's all trial and error......albeit it's not my place to tell you that copying someone's sound is not the best look.

keep in mind every other week there's someone like you that comes along asking questions. Then disappears once they've gotten what they wanted out of this place. So you can understand the jadedness you've encountered in this post. Also, a lot of info you're looking for can easily be obtained w/ a little legwork on your own. Simple googling or listening to clips at online stores will get you going. You can even go through what dustygroove stocks and sample on slsk......

but to make your life easier, here are people that've inspired your favourite producers....

free design

united states of america

heaven & earth

serge gainsbourg

• "quote"

and maybe some people are confused (or really dont care), but im not looking to throw a party and dj old 60's records. im trying to build songs using old vintage style samples /w fx for like the texture and backgrounds.

WHEW. wow. OK, actually I think the best place for you to start would be www.the-breaks.com. memorize the sample faq. the come back here in a few years. I'm dead serious too.

Or look up at that grey menu bar and click where it says reviews. memorize those too.

seriously, you'll do yourself a favor if you

• dayday 9,612 Posts

im trying to build songs using old vintage style samples /w fx for like the texture and backgrounds.

reading that makes me cringe.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

im trying to build songs using old vintage style samples /w fx for like the texture and backgrounds.

reading that makes me cringe.

you need some blazing downtempo to make your soundscapes complete.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I thought the name of the forum "crate digging" might be the right place to ask this question, but it seems some of you would rather be complete douchebags than help me out.

Douchebags-R-Us.

• and maybe some people are confused (or really dont care), but im not looking to throw a party and dj old 60's records. im trying to build songs using old vintage style samples /w fx for like the texture and backgrounds.

WOW.

This party sounds like it's going to be

• Man, you guys are fucking cold blooded.
    Dood... do yourself an favor and go listen to some of the radio shows on Broadcasts website, they have track listings for some decent lounge/exotica. Start there, and perhaps you might find something worth checking out in terms of titles.

ps: Dont be a poser.
    Get your own shit.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I will cop to being a dick today.

But really, asking "what records should I sample" is a bit