60's Style Vintage Recordings to Sample??

2»

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    hi anyone wants to make music, like with a 70's vintage funk vibe, and produce it under my name? i see this site is somewhat funk oriented. anyways.. the music has to have a vintage sound (wahwah getaars, clavinet, mad breakz and illhornstabraerz). you can have cookies here at my place if you ever visit sweden in exchange for this favour. any feedback is appretiated.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hi anyone wants to make music, like with a 70's vintage funk vibe, and produce it under my name? i see this site is somewhat funk oriented. anyways.. the music has to have a vintage sound (wahwah getaars, clavinet, mad breakz and illhornstabraerz). you can have cookies here at my place if you ever visit sweden in exchange for this favour. any feedback is appretiated.

hahahahhaaha

• do yourself an favor and go listen to some of the radio shows on Broadcasts website, they have track listings for some decent lounge/exotica.

ps: Dont be a poser.
    Get your own shit.

word. dudes (& trish) got records

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I thought the name of the forum "crate digging" might be the right place to ask this question, but it seems some of you would rather be complete douchebags than help me out.
    AWESOME!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    This is what you need:

• well you're asking for something that isn't really definable. A lot of stuff you're quoting (caribou/manitoba, etc) are just dudes going through really garbage records and flipping them, or even collecting vintage keyboards/synths. It's all trial and error......albeit it's not my place to tell you that copying someone's sound is not the best look.

keep in mind every other week there's someone like you that comes along asking questions. Then disappears once they've gotten what they wanted out of this place. So you can understand the jadedness you've encountered in this post. Also, a lot of info you're looking for can easily be obtained w/ a little legwork on your own. Simple googling or listening to clips at online stores will get you going. You can even go through what dustygroove stocks and sample on slsk......

but to make your life easier, here are people that've inspired your favourite producers....

free design
    united states of america
    heaven & earth
    serge gainsbourg

Acer thanks for the response. yeh i guess doing my first post like 'hey where do i find this type of sound?' is kind of a stupid question. i guess what i meant to say is more like where should i start? from the links to sites posted to places like dustygroove I feel like i defidently have something now. I prolly sound like a begginer on this forum but thats prolly cause Im just a drummer with a project studio that i mess around with. Im playing in this band and were trying to do some expiriemental type shit. I got my kit setup plus like a Dr.sample and a Roland Sp6 trigger pad and delays and stuff. so mostly im looking to pull loops and one-shots i can use live into the songs and play drums with. well anyways sorry if i pissed people off but thanks for the info.
    -later

• A freebie for the newbie: There's a break on the Meters "Oh Calcutta" that's just begging to be looped up. Try it.

• This is what you need:

We are all slow. This should have been the FIRST response.

What happened to Leo? Or Us?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hi im new to this forum. This is my first post actually, and although I find this site is oriented to more hiphop funk style music, I wanted to know if anyone could send me in the right direction to find 60's type vintage tape samples (strings, xylaphones, guitars, chamber reverb vocals etc.) Ive been somewhat succesful getting a collection of sounds from the various CD samplers out there. Uberschall's "Easy Listening", Power FX's "The Love and Pop String Thing", etc..... However I feel im at the end of the road with sampler cds out there and want to put my turntable to use. Any ideas where to start? I spent some time at a local record shop called 'Siren Records' in doylestown, PA and they had a pretty nice selection of vinyl with one section labeled easy listening. But I feel i need a better direction to go than just random searching and listening. Any feedback will help. Thanks.

-mark

Hey Mark,

The best way to learn is to get out there and get your hands dirty. A great start to collecting records is to listen to music. That might sound obvious, but it is not. It is much harder to start collecting (for sampling anyway) when you do not already have diverse tastes in music. Being a music fan since early childhood really helped me by providing a frame of reference from which to buy records. For example, it's hard to dig in the funk bin when you've never listened to it. Hence, your question, "Where do you start?" Fan first = Good luck!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Hi im new to this forum. This is my first post actually, and although I find this site is oriented to more hiphop funk style music, I wanted to know if anyone could send me in the right direction to find 60's type vintage tape samples (strings, xylaphones, guitars, chamber reverb vocals etc.) Ive been somewhat succesful getting a collection of sounds from the various CD samplers out there. Uberschall's "Easy Listening", Power FX's "The Love and Pop String Thing", etc..... However I feel im at the end of the road with sampler cds out there and want to put my turntable to use. Any ideas where to start? I spent some time at a local record shop called 'Siren Records' in doylestown, PA and they had a pretty nice selection of vinyl with one section labeled easy listening. But I feel i need a better direction to go than just random searching and listening. Any feedback will help. Thanks.

-mark

Hey Mark,

The best way to learn is to get out there and get your hands dirty. A great start to collecting records is to listen to music. That might sound obvious, but it is not. It is much harder to start collecting (for sampling anyway) when you do not already have diverse tastes in music. Being a music fan since early childhood really helped me by providing a frame of reference from which to buy records. For example, it's hard to dig in the funk bin when you've never listened to it. Hence, your question, "Where do you start?" Fan first = Good luck!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

cool thanks for the advice. Ive been listening music alot my whole life, but i really think spending alot of time just digging through vinyl and listening to classic records will help me understand how things have been recorded in the past and what makes them work, especially help for my production skills. if u want to hear the type of stuff im tryin to make heres a rough example of something i put together. im playing guitar, bass and keys with samples mixed in. i think this tracks has a ubiquity drum loop with some old E-Lab organ sample used. The beggining has some loops from the old Warner Brothers Sound Effects Library. eventually id like more vocal samples and fx integrated in but give it a listen if u want.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=408689

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    It sounds pretty good. I bet some singing would go well with that.

• sounds good man. keep it up. it's all about creating your own style.

I like how you brought in the ride cymbal towards the end of the track to add color on the drums. I feel like you should work with more drum textures and layers earlier in the song because by the half way point, it becomes a wee monotonous. But other than that you got a dope downtempo/air/instrumental steez going on.

hollur.