favorite old school basketball players

parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Dr JWilt ChamberlainBill RussellPete MaravichOscar RobertsonDaryl "Chocolate Thunder" DawkinsMoses Malone-----Slick Wattsand on and on and on......

Comments

• RIP

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Elgin Baylor

Clyde Frazier

George Gervin

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Rick Barry
    Connie Hawkins
    Calvin Murphy
    etc.

• Options

Showing Julius in anything but a Phila jersey is sacrelidge.

George Gervin

Moses

Walt Frazier

Larry

Maurice Cheeks

Mullin

Oscar Robertson

...much more

K.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Oops, forgot one of the greatest.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• I'm from Oregon, so:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I grew up in Los Angeles the 80's

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I always dug these dudes.

• moses malone..he is classic in the 1983 video: "that championship season". quote:

moses malone: "when i sweat, i get that sweat in me, then i know what i got to do" reporter: "moses that doesn't make sense"
    moses malone:" that's just the way i feel"

• Tal Brody

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guys,

Here's my old-school roster:

Starting Five:

C-Kareem Abdul Jabbar.
    PF-Elvin Hayes.
    SF-Julius Erving.
    SG-George Gervin.
    PG-Maurice Cheeks.

Reserves:

C-Moses Malone.
    PF-Bobby Jones.
    SF-Alex English.
    SG-Pete Maravich.
    PG-Gail Goodrich.
    SF-Adrian Dantley.
    PF-Bobby Jones.

I left off too many names, but I kept it 70's steeze, from my era.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Black Jesus

All World (never saw an opportunity to shoot that he didn't like)

If you don't know about Marvin Barnes, I advise you to look up his history... he is the prototype of the modern athelete (from a negative viewpoint). The stories are classic- dude made somebody like Iverson look like a choirboy. He is probably drinking malt liquor on the bench in this pic.

It's a shame that the world at large will never really know how great the Hawk was. From all the stories I hear, he was Dr. J and Jordan before they were.

"A legend in both games..."

• I met Bill Russell & Red Auerbach at a restaurant I worked at they were both cool as shit. Red smoked his cigar the whole time eventhough there was no smoking the manager kept asking him to put it out and he would say "yeah sure" but then he wouldn't put it out. Bill Russell has always been one of my favorites. He coached the team and started at the same time and grabed mad rings. The champ for real.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The reason I'm a Pacer fan!!!

Modeled my high school moves after this cat while @ Navy

Why is that???

Legendary beyond the N.B.A.

It's a shame that the world at large will never really know how great the Hawk was. From all the stories I hear, he was Dr. J and Jordan before they were.

He came to speak to my high school team. My coach's father was the legendary
    Coach Fisher at Boys&Girls in Brooklyn. Connie was just tellin' stories.
    This was before the NBA embraced the old legends like that top 50 shit. I
    didn't realize who was speaking to me @ the time.
    Connie would stack quarters on top of the backboard.

• Showing Julius in anything but a Phila jersey is sacrelidge.

Why is that???

No doubt... by the time Julius hit the NBA his best days were already behind him. Not that he was washed up by any means, it's just that he was on another planet in the ABA. Anybody from back in those days will tell you, if you didn't see Doc in the ABA you really didn't see Doc. I saw some of his ABA Nets games right before he went to the Sixers, but unfortunately I was too young (and not really into basketball that much) to totally appreciate what I was seeing.

Why is that???

No doubt... by the time Julius hit the NBA his best days were already behind him. Not that he was washed up by any means, it's just that he was on another planet in the ABA. Anybody from back in those days will tell you, if you didn't see Doc in the ABA you really didn't see Doc. I saw some of his ABA Nets games right before he went to the Sixers, but unfortunately I was too young (and not really into basketball that much) to totally appreciate what I was seeing.

• Connie would stack quarters on top of the backboard.

You know what though, man? I've heard so many stories about people like the Goat taking quarters off the backboard and all that. Have you ever checked how high the top of a backboard is? I'm not saying that the people recounting these stories are lying, but I would just like to see somebody, ANYBODY jump up high enough to touch the top of the backboard. I have never seen this.

Although I'm still kinda in disbelief from seeing dude on that new ESPN dunk contest show who jumped clear over a row of six standing people and throw it down.

You know what though, man? I've heard so many stories about people like the Goat taking quarters off the backboard and all that. Have you ever checked how high the top of a backboard is? I'm not saying that the people recounting these stories are lying, but I would just like to see somebody, ANYBODY jump up high enough to touch the top of the backboard. I have never seen this.

Yeah but imagine a 6'9'(longassarms)cat w/ the ups of Vince Carter!

• BTW, you are killing it with the locations, kid. "...The Cold Cruuuush / the Cold Cruuuush / the CooooOooold Cruuuuuuush!" That real shit.

BTW, you are killing it with the locations, kid. "...The Cold Cruuuush / the Cold Cruuuush / the CooooOooold Cruuuuuuush!" That real shit.

I know that you know

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    How "old" do you have to be to qualify as "old school?"

Here's a black and white photo of one of my favorite old school players making "the Pass" in 1992:

• How "old" do you have to be to qualify as "old school?"

BTW, you are killing it with the locations, kid. "...The Cold Cruuuush / the Cold Cruuuush / the CooooOooold Cruuuuuuush!" That real shit.

I know that you know

• Options

Yeah but imagine a 6'9'(longassarms)cat w/ the ups of Vince Carter!

I've seen Steve Timmons do it (play both volleyball and basketball at USC...and is a Olympic GOld Medalist in volleyball). He was an upper 6'5" and had a vertical in the 40's.

K.

How "old" do you have to be to qualify as "old school?"

DAMN.
    NOW thats a good question.
    Is it pre Jordan?
    Is it Pre Bird/Magic?
    Is it pre Shaq?
    Is it pre ABA/NBA merger?
    Is it pre NBA on NBC?
    What is the "cut off point"?

This has to be addressed.