Light stopped for over one second. (NRR FM)

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• Whoa.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Whoa.

Indeed.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    interesting, but I can't think of any benefits humankind can get from this kind of experiment

I like light

• ???????????????????????????????????????????????

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    interesting, but I can't think of any benefits humankind can get from this kind of experiment

The technique could be useful in quantum information processing applications such as quantum computers.

• interesting, but I can't think of any benefits humankind can get from this kind of experiment

"...quantum computers could also be useful for running simulations of quantum mechanics. The speedup could be just as large as for factoring. This could be a great boon to physics, chemistry, materials science, nanotechnology, biology and medicine, all of which are limited today by the slow speed of quantum mechanical simulations."

"...quantum computers could also be useful for running simulations of quantum mechanics. The speedup could be just as large as for factoring. This could be a great boon to physics, chemistry, materials science, nanotechnology, biology and medicine, all of which are limited today by the slow speed of quantum mechanical simulations."

I wonder how the christian coalition will dead this.

• interesting, but I can't think of any benefits humankind can get from this kind of experiment

+ DNA sequencers = Jurassic Park

I don't get it... they invented a light switch?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I still think light is cool.

I think Dizzy is cool too.

Dizzy, what do you think is cool?

• I don't get it... they invented a light switch?

Light you see is travelling at a certain rate of speed ("light speed"). I'm not a big science/etc guy... but for starters I would assume that you couldn't see it unless you were on top of it, because in order for light to be seen it must first travel to your eye (or "not be stopped")

• one step closer

• I believe "stopped" means slower.

Conclusion: we can't go anywhere, but we can make aliens stop. Right?

• I believe "stopped" means slower.

Conclusion: we can't go anywhere, but we can make aliens stop. Right?

haha Cosmicspeedbumpraer

No, but I figure if they're figuring out how to do things with physics previously thought impossible, like stopping light, then figuring out how to go faster than it should be on the horizon as well.

As far as I know, quantum computers are still highly theoretical. And I dont see how exactly that stopping light will help to build one, but then again there are just a few senteces on this so I dont know. Quantum computers would be aboe to do an immense number of calculations because quantum computers will be built out of parts that are on the quantum level. On that level, the quarks "make" an almost infinite mount of calcualtions in between on and off. The space between 0 and 1 contains every possible path in the entire universe. But I dont still dont see how stopping light will help to build one. Possibly the techniques they used could be applied to nanotechnology.

Oh and by the way, one thing quantum computers will do is that they will be able to factor very quickly. Tons of transactions between nations states, banking etc is protected by encrypted codes that would take an immense amount of factoring to break. So there you go.

Does any of this make any sense?

• I will be awaiting royaltees on this one. Yes, I conceived this idea. No, I wasn't stoned.