So I just mastered this today...

ootoot 38 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
...with ya boy ken lee out in THA TOWN:.mp3]http://www.nuntype.com/sounds/mp3s/SupremeEx%20&%20Tajai%20-%20Formless%20[Nuntype].mp3rather pleased. shit drops in october. HOLLA

Comments

• how does it sound compared to the original version you sent out?

ive always wondered if mastering was that final step my projects were missing, or an overrated hoax

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    tajai is dat dude

• ootoot 38 Posts
    yo, honestly, i was not playing around when it came to the mastering...i've mastered quite a few projects with engineers in philly before i settled with one cat that i've done the last few projects with (peter humphrey at masterwork recordings).

but when i came out to the bay, i had to look for a new engineer. i ended up asking for suggestions here on soulstrut. i've been working with tajai for quite a long time, and ken lee has mastered numerous projects for hiero. so coupled with the soulstrut suggestions, i went with ken lee.

mastering to me is like: why come so far and shed so much blood, sweat and tears making your music, only to skimp out at the very end when it (mastering) is so important? if you're going to spend loot, i wholly suggest spending it on mastering. it's a financial brick but shit - you want your stuff all crunchy and warm and sounding tight. nahmeen?

money well spent. and relatively cheap compared to the quote i got from my #2 spot (the lodge in ny).

i'm going to spend the week testing this chumpy out and i'll let you know my thoughts in a few days or so. holla.

• mastering was that final step my projects were missing
    It makes a difference. Especially on other sound systems. Your shit might sound great on your headphones and monitors but good mastering makes it sound better universally on other sound sytems.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Tajai is a really nice cat and incredibly intelligent. I played with Heiroglyphics twice in 97 or so, and taj was all excited about being able to buy sniper rifles in Virginia.

problem is, he just sounds so corny now. dude, stop reading the ingredients off the back of a roachspray can, and just rap on beat. beat's nice though, doggie. the mastering sounds great even on my shitty computer speaker.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    when the band i was in 4-5yrs ago recorded in a seattle studio, we had it mastered, but i could never tell the difference. that beat is fresh.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Weird. I think I've heard this beat before maybe on dublab. Without these vocals?

The section with the cardigans sample is nice.

- spidey

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    'Sup, oots?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Weird. I think I've heard this beat before... Without these vocals?

"Et si le grand luxe c'??tait l'espace..."

Sorry, that's a private (private= French) joke

B.