Battling Stagefright

unlasciviousunlascivious 220 Posts
edited March 2005 in Strut Central
what do you do???i've gotta be one of the most nervous people when it comes to performing or speaking in front of crowds. mentally i can brush it off, but physically my hands shake, my heart races, and i get nauseous. how do you guys cope?p.s. - i have to dj in a few hours, and im already getting chills.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Try to adjust your body to be physically neutral, try and relax. Revel in the attention and love of total strangers.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jeez, I don't know what to offer. I've been in front of some HUGE crowds, and it can be scary no fucking doubt. Just like, get into what you're doing, and pretty soon it will just melt away.

Plus when you're on stage there's usually a lot of lights on your face so it makes it harder to see the crowd.

Plus the people are there to see YOU so don't feel that self conscious.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I feel you. I have really bad pre-performance anxiety. (no, not that kind of performance!) I just try to breath, and when I get to the venue I have a drink just to calm my nerves. I NEVER get blazed, I'll be a wreck. Leave that till afterwards.

Usually I just try to focus backstage or whatever. Then, once it starts, my nerves go out and it's all good.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i try to be as prepared as possible, try to be ready in time and whatnaut.
    but yeah, i get nervous almost every time i DJ for a crowd.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    what do you do???

I have a couple of drinks, is it right, am I an alky ? probably but...

who knows, it works for me.

-B-

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    what do you do???

tho acknoledge the headache factor on this one

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I think it's pretty natural for a lot of people. I think as long as you have some confendence (SP) you'll calm down after 15-20 min. One of my things is to be sure never to plan to do anything tricky until I warm up and calm down. One time I worked up this big show off routine to start out my set. Perfect in the bedroom, but when I got in front of people I was skipping my records and couldn't hold my hands steady enough to do the quick needle drops I planned. It's the worst part of battle DJing cuz you just have to be on it right away.

For me one drink would sometimes help, but drink and drugs is a really bad pre show habit that I wouldn't actually recomend.

At least you can do it. The guy from XTC was so bad they could hardly ever play a show cuz he would freak the fuck out.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Marvin Gaye used to have it so bad he went 5 years without performing and sometimes just not even show up to major gigs.

Just do your thing man. It's bad before but it all goes away once you start.

To this day I still get nervous the day of a gig. Even local one's at times.

It's just some shit that never goes away because you always want to do your best.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    A crowd full of socializing, dancing, fools is easy. Once you get started, it just feels like you belong. I recently had the extremely nerveracking task of playing infront of sitting audiences. That's a whole other animal right there. It feels like people are just watching, waiting for you to fuck up. Lucky for me, there was some video stuff to keep their attention, but it doesnt make it any less tough. I did twelve shows and got nervous before every one. It does'nt really get any easier, you just have to get used to feeling like that. Don't be affraid to make eye contact with the people, it's the best way to come off like you ARENT nervous.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    what do you do???

i've gotta be one of the most nervous people when it comes to performing or speaking in front of crowds. mentally i can brush it off, but physically my hands shake, my heart races, and i get nauseous. how do you guys cope?

p.s. - i have to dj in a few hours, and im already getting chills.

Hey,

The key to battling stagefright is over-preparation for the task at hand. Anxiety is closely (and negatively) related to task-specific self-efficacy, or your confidence in performing some specific task like public speaking (or DJing). So, the lower your confidence the more anxious you become. To overcome the lack of confidence, prepare your presentation (or DJ set) in advance and practice it repeatedly until you are comfortable with it. This should reduce your anxiety in front of crowds. The strategy I've described also works in reducing test anxiety for those college students out there (e.g., I was never nervous for tests because I knew the material cold)!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    he he he. well, i dont really get stagefright. i mean, im not overly confident or anything, i think its that i just dont give a shit. buuuut...

ive had to guest speak at some things before. like, folks were gonna be asking me questions about shit and i knew i couldnt be my normally obnoxious self, really. so what i did was invite all my homies down to this boring as thing. and they got hell of twisted, of course, and heckled me. that made me feel much more comfortable. hell, my dad heckled me at some screening thing i had once. that shit was awesome!

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    I have been performing in front of people for 15 years now [damn I feel old!!] and I still get a little nervous before getting on the stage. I usually imagine that there is nobody in the room cept me and the rest of the dudes on stage. With stage lights its pretty easy. Drinks help.
    I was so nervous I puked when my moms came to see my high school fastpunk band.
    SBN

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    i agree with a lot of what everybody has said -- but have a few extra tips.
    If your DJing a bar scene, have a drink or two and just hang out before getting on. If it feels like you're just there doing your thing for a couple friends, you'll be less inhibeted and maybe even do some things you hadn't planned on. Also, over-prepare. If its a big stage or a big thing, just think to yourself:

"if these people are stupid enough to pay to see me play, then they wont even know the difference if I screw up."

That's been the main thing I've learned since I started. I used to think that everybody in the crowd is concentrating on you and waiting for you to slip. They're not. They're into their own things and unless its a bunch of hardcore DJs in the audience, nobody has a clue what youre doing nor will they know if you screw up or not. It isn't the best idea to actually underestimate the audience, but it helps to get the butterflies out.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Don't forget to take a shit (or 2, depending on how nervous you are) b4 you get to the venue.

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    2 shots of jager right before you go on. And do some push ups or run a little to get rid of that nerveous energy.

• thanks everyone!

i will definitely relax and try to enjoy the night.
    1 quick question. the bar has a numark mixer and when i use the crossfader from ch3 to ch1, i only hear ch1 (correct), but when i move the crossfader to the right, when i should only hear ch3, i hear both channels. i screwed around with the knobs for a while with no luck. the send and pfl buttons confuse the hell outta me. anybody have a clue?

wish me luck on my first bar gig.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    a couple beers will make your shakey needle handling much smoother.

stay away from caffeine.

• Options
    2 shots of jager right before you go on

1 quick question. the bar has a numark mixer and when i use the crossfader from ch3 to ch1, i only hear ch1 (correct), but when i move the crossfader to the right, when i should only hear ch3, i hear both channels. i screwed around with the knobs for a while with no luck. the send and pfl buttons confuse the hell outta me. anybody have a clue?

Make it 4 shots.

• not the response i was looking for, but i'll be sure to report back on the trainwrecking tomorrow.