NIKE ID / DEF JUX / SOULSTRUT...

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
The new Nike ID store in NYC has been a topic on the strut a few times. I must admit, I was critical of the appointment only service at first. I walked down Elizabeth St, saw the new storefront, and eagerly tried to enter. I was shot down by the security at the door, "Sorry. Appointment only."

Of course my inner-hater kicked in, and i walked away sulking... "glitterati bulls*it!"

A few weeks later, I received a call from Raj telling me that Nike would like soulstrut to be represented at the ID store while Def Jux crew members designed shoes. He asked if I would like to be that representative and I obliged without hesitation. I was also given the opportunity to design a pair of Nikes myself.

The day arrived and I trooped from my midtown office to the white whale ID shop. I walked in and was greeted by several employees, El-P, Cage, and their entourage. We all walked into the studio and were immediately impressed with the interior. Each of the 3 design stations were extremely comfortable. leather couches were surrounded by futura figures, design books, and material samples for inspiration. The staff was extremely helpful in showing us our style, color, and material options as well as bringing us water, beer or even champagne.

After being sized for my dunks, i sat down at the design station and tested out the interface. it was really smooth. i could try out the different colors in an almost infinite variety of arrangements. The soles, laces, lining, swoosh, and panels were all interchangeable, and i could view the shoe from any angle. Once i had the shoe looking the way i wanted it, I double checked the colors using the swatch book they had at each station. (RGB color will never be exact)

When finished, I was given a printout of the design and I left eager to see how they came out. 3 weeks later UPS brought them to my door...

here is a video of the experience, check the soulstrut T-shirt...
http://www.drillteammedia.com/nike/video/082505/nikevideo.htm

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    check the soulstrut T-shirt...
    YES! bitch PLAESE!

• customizing our lives, one customer at a time....

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ???

• I was quoting El-P from the video

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    customizing our lives, one customer at a time....

will there be a nike banner ad on soulstrut soon?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i know, i know...

i was curious about mordy's comment. what was that?

• customizing our lives, one customer at a time....

will there be a nike banner ad on soulstrut soon?

only if we can customize it.

I'm wondering if the same tiny hands in Asia that make their regular shoes make the custom kicks as well?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Im sure its tight.

But how does the rest of us get an appointment? When do we get our soulstrut dunks?

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I had a session at the Berlin iD studio in July (thanks to my man A-Cyde here in London), which was pretty good too.
    I played around with a few different ideas, but ended up doing a 180 in the exclusive colours they had to offer.

They arrived via UPS about two weeks later... I was really impressed with the whole thing. Free shoes, in colours I wanted and speedy delivery.

I wonder what retailers think of the iD thing though? It kinda takes away from them a bit, I guess...

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    When do we get our soulstrut dunks?

ps. cage got skinny (and emo) as fuck

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    mordy's comment. what was that?
    a bumbled attempt at trying to use some Strutslanguage??????? to provide a caption for the nice plug.

:hangs head, returns to work:

• no offense but...

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    yeah word... two words
    complimentary colors
    please...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    El P doesn't look so comfortable with shilling for Nike. I don't blame him.

• I had a session at the Berlin iD studio in July (thanks to my man A-Cyde here in London), which was pretty good too.
    I played around with a few different ideas, but ended up doing a 180 in the exclusive colours they had to offer.

They arrived via UPS about two weeks later... I was really impressed with the whole thing. Free shoes, in colours I wanted and speedy delivery.

I wonder what retailers think of the iD thing though? It kinda takes away from them a bit, I guess...

Mowabb or wahtever they are called. Those are pretty dope if you can rock em right. But damn that's a lot of $$$.

• no offense but...

no offense, but those shoes are AWESOME!!!!!!

• girgir 329 Posts
    El P doesn't look so comfortable with shilling for Nike. I don't blame him.

how else is he going to continue to customize his life to avoid working?

• I had a session at the Berlin iD studio in July (thanks to my man A-Cyde here in London), which was pretty good too.

Mowabb Muadib? or wahtever they are called.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    The new Nike ID store in NYC has been a topic on the strut a few times. I must admit, I was critical of the appointment only service at first. I walked down Elizabeth St, saw the new storefront, and eagerly tried to enter. I was shot down by the security at the door, "Sorry. Appointment only."

Of course my inner-hater kicked in, and i walked away sulking... "glitterati bulls*it!"

A few weeks later, I received a call from Raj telling me that Nike would like soulstrut to be represented at the ID store while Def Jux crew members designed shoes. He asked if I would like to be that representative and I obliged without hesitation. I was also given the opportunity to design a pair of Nikes myself.

The day arrived and I trooped from my midtown office to the white whale ID shop. I walked in and was greeted by several employees, El-P, Cage, and their entourage. We all walked into the studio and were immediately impressed with the interior. Each of the 3 design stations were extremely comfortable. leather couches were surrounded by futura figures, design books, and material samples for inspiration. The staff was extremely helpful in showing us our style, color, and material options as well as bringing us water, beer or even champagne.

After being sized for my dunks, i sat down at the design station and tested out the interface. it was really smooth. i could try out the different colors in an almost infinite variety of arrangements. The soles, laces, lining, swoosh, and panels were all interchangeable, and i could view the shoe from any angle. Once i had the shoe looking the way i wanted it, I double checked the colors using the swatch book they had at each station. (RGB color will never be exact)

When finished, I was given a printout of the design and I left eager to see how they came out. 3 weeks later UPS brought them to my door...

here is a video of the experience, check the soulstrut T-shirt...
    http://www.drillteammedia.com/nike/video/082505/nikevideo.htm

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    how many times did el-p say "customize"? I lost count....

• is it just me or is has El-P gone from wannabe gangsta to pseudo-hip hop hipster?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    is it just me or is has El-P gone from wannabe gangsta to pseudo-hip hop hipster?

is it just me, or has el-p put out dozens of records?

how much product you got floating out there, grafstar?

• El-P wannabe gangsta?

clearly has not listened to el-p's records.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    is it just me or is has El-P gone from wannabe gangsta to pseudo-hip hop hipster?

uh oh...

• is it just me or is has El-P gone from wannabe gangsta to pseudo-hip hop hipster?

I think we've had this discussion before on numerous artists. El-P could flip from gangsta to Christian rock and put out a bunch of records. Don't get pissy if you're cool with him.

Seriously though, seems like in the 90's he was more indie-gangsta whereas more recently he's not really playing it up that much.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I must interject here,

What does it matter if Graffwritah hasnt put out "product"? So fuckin what? If you dont actually make "product" then you cant have an opinion?

and Yeah EL-P is a fag.

• El-P wannabe gangsta?

clearly has not listened to el-p's records.

No, not recently. Last thing I listened to was the one instrumental album that came out a while back that was like some sort of crazy bad acid trip.

Hence my question, and hence my use of the words seems[/b].

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I

and Yeah EL-P is a fag.

albeit a smart fag.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'm just sayin. there's a difference between having a negative opinion, and just plain hating. You never know who's looking on here, and i seriously doubt you'd call them a fag to their face. infact, i really think that the use of "fag" makes you sound extra toyboy.