NIKE ID / DEF JUX / SOULSTRUT...

Comments

• i'm just sayin. there's a difference between having a negative opinion, and just plain hating. You never know who's looking on here, and i seriously doubt you'd call them a fag to their face. infact, i really think that the use of "fag" makes you sound extra toyboy.

Who's hating? Ok, DocBeezy is, but still - you got defensive from the start.

Perhaps the term "indie-gangsta" would be more appropriate.

I actually liked Company Flow, but last I[/b] heard from him dude seems to have shifted gears into some other shit.

Like I said, you can be cool with him, but that doesn't mean I have to like all the shit he's put out.

And if he's put out different shit since I've last heard, then give me some examples.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I knew that this thread would spiral into a hatefest. I even told the nike people, it was just a matter of time.

• yo dude which models did you have to choose from at the nike store?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    i'm just sayin. there's a difference between having a negative opinion, and just plain hating. You never know who's looking on here, and i seriously doubt you'd call them a fag to their face. infact, i really think that the use of "fag" makes you sound extra toyboy.

On the nuts.

I knew that this thread would spiral into a hatefest. I even told the nike people, it was just a matter of time.

Im not hating on the nikes, im not even hating on El-P.

toy boy.

• I knew that this thread would spiral into a hatefest. I even told the nike people, it was just a matter of time.

Oh Jesus nevermind. *I* am not trying to hate on anybody - I just threw in an El-P q since he was brought up. But we can drop it, it was a casual question anyway.

Bringing it back to the Nike thing, I think customizeable shoes are a dope concept. I think that shit is the future, really.

• I knew that this thread would spiral into a hatefest. I even told the nike people, it was just a matter of time.

i dont usually like nikes, but those that you've designed are pretty dope.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yo dude which models did you have to choose from at the nike store?
    i don't really remember all of them, but i will say that was'nt really satisfied with my choices. the 180s were cool, but not really my steez, everyone there got dunks. I got my girl some 180s though, i'll post a picture of those later. I was lead to believe that they may introduce some air maxes into the store soon.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    If you see El-P, tell him Murs' friend wants his fuckin "8 steps to perfection" single back already.

fucker borrowed it for a show in LA and never gave it back.

If you see El-P, tell him Murs' friend wants his fuckin "8 steps to perfection" single back already.

dude, i bet you wouldnt say that random shit to his face.

I said that random shit to him in an email on Friendster (yes he's on there) and he never replied...fucker. who does he think he is, being all random like that?

• Custom kix are cool and all ,but I was under the impression that NIKE was one of the Biggest Worldwide Slave Labor Offenders in the sports /shoewear industry
    Folks aren't ready to confront that yet.

• If you see El-P[/b], tell him Murs'[/b] friend wants his fuckin "8 steps to perfection" single back already.

Wow, a 2 in 1!!!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Yo, Cage got all normal, whathefuck?

and yo, when can I "represent Soulstrut" on some free shit smorgasbord?????

If you see El-P[/b], tell him Murs'[/b] friend wants his fuckin "8 steps to perfection" single back already.

Wow, a 2 in 1!!!

yeah like he's gonna know me as Josh...you're a fuckin fucker fucker.

• If you see El-P[/b], tell him Murs'[/b] friend wants his fuckin "8 steps to perfection" single back already.

Wow, a 2 in 1!!!

yeah like he's gonna know me as Josh...you're a fuckin fucker fucker.

HEY! Watch you're fucking mouth!!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    nevermind

• wow def jux and nike? damn, whatever happened to el-p being "independent as fuck"? i have lost all respect.

• What's the Raj/Soulstrut/Nike connection? Are the Nike folks recognizing Soulstrut??? as a target market?

Did you know you can Customize tims too?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    wow def jux and nike? damn, whatever happened to el-p being "independent as fuck"? i have lost all respect.

what does him puttin out music independently have anything to do with him likin nike?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im With that shit. I customize my CHUCKS @ the Converse site. I'm waiting for Nike to have customized Dunk Highs----cant fuq w/ the lows

• The new Nike ID store in NYC has been a topic on the strut a few times. I must admit, I was critical of the appointment only service at first. I walked down Elizabeth St, saw the new storefront, and eagerly tried to enter. I was shot down by the security at the door, "Sorry. Appointment only."

Of course my inner-hater kicked in, and i walked away sulking... "glitterati bulls*it!"

A few weeks later, I received a call from Raj telling me that Nike would like soulstrut to be represented at the ID store while Def Jux crew members designed shoes. He asked if I would like to be that representative and I obliged without hesitation. I was also given the opportunity to design a pair of Nikes myself.

The day arrived and I trooped from my midtown office to the white whale ID shop. I walked in and was greeted by several employees, El-P, Cage, and their entourage. We all walked into the studio and were immediately impressed with the interior. Each of the 3 design stations were extremely comfortable. leather couches were surrounded by futura figures, design books, and material samples for inspiration. The staff was extremely helpful in showing us our style, color, and material options as well as bringing us water, beer or even champagne.

After being sized for my dunks, i sat down at the design station and tested out the interface. it was really smooth. i could try out the different colors in an almost infinite variety of arrangements. The soles, laces, lining, swoosh, and panels were all interchangeable, and i could view the shoe from any angle. Once i had the shoe looking the way i wanted it, I double checked the colors using the swatch book they had at each station. (RGB color will never be exact)

When finished, I was given a printout of the design and I left eager to see how they came out. 3 weeks later UPS brought them to my door...

here is a video of the experience, check the soulstrut T-shirt...
    http://www.drillteammedia.com/nike/video/082505/nikevideo.htm

Damn, Im not big on Nike but those are hottness... nice kicks Delay... Now I wanna see your girls set up..

all you cats that are hatin need to

• Honestly I just checked out the NikeID site for the first time and now I know where all my money is going to go. (When I get it.)

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    yeah word... two words
    complimentary colors
    please...

Yeah, as someone else pointed out, those were a Mowabb-influenced pair of 180s (couldn't use the proper brown though)...
    Figured I should use the fact that you have non-web colours to utilise in the physical studio.

They didn't charge me for them, so I thought I'd have some fun. More about the bespoke experience rather than the final product (although they did come out pretty good when they arrived).

• yeah word... two words
    complimentary colors
    please...

Yeah, as someone else pointed out, those were a Mowabb-influenced pair of 180s (couldn't use the proper brown though)...
    Figured I should use the fact that you have non-web colours to utilise in the physical studio.

They didn't charge me for them, so I thought I'd have some fun. More about the bespoke experience rather than the final product (although they did come out pretty good when they arrived).

There we go. I knew they were like the Mowabb. They look like a pair Nike would've made already. Seems like a lot of there shoes get the Mowabb now. Have they made a pair of AM 90's in Mowabb. That would be

• Custom kix are cool and all ,but I was under the impression that NIKE was one of the Biggest Worldwide Slave Labor Offenders in the sports /shoewear industry
    I have avioded that brand for 10+ years now

yes they are. Also they were the kings of racist corporate practices in the early 90s...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Out of curiosty, is Nike the only big sneaker company with these sweatshop practices? What about Adidas? New Balance? Reebok? I really don't want to give Nike my $$$, but I don't want to just go to somebody else that has the same bullshit policies...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    When do we get our soulstrut dunks?

best idea since let a heatrock loose...

(granted, of course, that labor practices were legit)

• They cost around $10 per pair to make. You are forgetting the retail markup.

$10 to produce
    $60 to retailer
    $100 to customers

• someone posted a "show us your kicks" post couple months back. i seem to remember the pages of soulstrut looking like a fucking 2003-5 nike catalog.

does this have anything to do with soulstrut being repped in ny? at the site of what appears to be a nike - def jux cloning lab!!!