Recent Finds

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    my absolute shit. sharon sings the hell out of this. d-train levels. major harris levels. teddy p.
    Yemsky

also, that nick travis quintet is from '54 and confirms my enduring love for mid-to-late 50s jazz.  back cova (pardon the mold):

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Most of my finds are "mailbox finds" these days.
    Yemsky

• drum drops! now that's a name I've not heard in a long time
    ketan

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts

That. 

And more often than not CDs. This week’s cheap to reasonably priced arrivals  

billbradleyElectrodeJimster

• a strong haul! I was thinking about copping that si cheeba. I love cut-n-paste tracks. haven't pulled the trigger though

this weekend I "found" green mango 'run down' and then "found" I didn't have 70 pounds to spend on it, damnit

klezmer electro-thug beats

was back in Seattle for a wedding and ended up staying next to Daybreak Records, which I highly recommend. well organized cheap bins full of goodies. i've been "Looking for Nikki" for a minute. great Beatles medley on Crook and McGhee. wish i had more time for records on this trip...
    Electrode

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Not a whole lot but it's something. The Egberto Gismonti really surprised me. PdC is signed (not to me, though).
    billbradley

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    "Aspring Answer" on that Didier Lockwood has some moody breaks on it.

Electrode

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Electrode said:

Not a whole lot but it's something. The Egberto Gismonti really surprised me. PdC is signed (not to me, though).

I remember that Paulinho da Costa being underwhelming. His other one on Pablo with the b&w cover is another bargain bin staple but has a lot more going on IIRC

Yes, I heard that "Agora" is the better one. Strangely, I haven't found that one yet.

Some things from the weekend. "Souled Out" is a re-press of "Soul & Salvation" which I already have, so I will give it to a friend as a gift eventually. Albert Ayler is the US press of his European "Ghosts" LP from '64. Willie Colón is a French press.
    ppadilha

Yesterday I bought around 5700 records. 3600 45s and 2100 LPs. It's mostly old country, classic rock, and 70s pop. I haven't had a chance to dig through it all yet. I'm excited to dig through the 45s. I have a feeling I am going to find some rare rockabilly records again.

ppadilhaklezmer electro-thug beatsElectrodeketan

• my recent finds weigh a ton
    Duderonomy

Hope you find some needles in that haystack! 

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    And there’s me waiting for the customs invoice for a 150 piece shipment from Japan, thinking I am flexing.

• Electrode said:

Yeah man. And how does one unload the truckload of chud from a haul like that, even if you end up with a good amount of good stuff?

Electrode said:

Yeah man. And how does one unload the truckload of chud from a haul like that, even if you end up with a good amount of good stuff?

So far I've only gone through about half of the 45s. It's mostly old country so I'm pulling all of the 50s Rockabilly stuff to resell. There are other genres mixed in. My wife is pulling all of the 80's stuff she wants. I'm pulling funk, soul, and boogie for myself. Once I finish processing the 45s I'll likely bulk sell it all back off to someone else then move on to the LPs.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Are you still working a full-time job B*ll, because if digging ain't one, you must nevarr sleap?

Jimster said:
    Are you still working a full-time job B*ll, because if digging ain't one, you must nevarr sleap?

I get about 5 hours of sleep a day. Then once every 6 months I sleep for about 10 hours to recharge my batteries and I'm good for another 6 months.

ketanJimsterDuderonomy

• I want one of those fawning articles about tech guys who wake up at 3am and only eat activated charcoal and raw water and run 10 K's before dawn etc. but for Bill buying truckloads of 45s and processing through them while holding down a job.

I'll settle for seeing the best stuff you end up pulling from that haul though.

I'm a tech guy. I've been doing a huge server migration and putting in 12 hour days for the past few months. When I'm not doing that I'm processing records and getting ready for the next Austin Record Convention.

I'll post some of the 45 finds later. I just finished going through those yesterday. Later this week I'll start on the LPs.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Bill eats 45s for breakfast!!
    Duderonomy

Some highlights from the recent 45 record haul. Nothing too raer but there were some solid soul, boogie, soul, rockabilly, and garage/fuzz records.
    ketanElectrodeGibbo

daym that's a nice haul.

have you heard the demo version of Sex Shooter? it's so great -  then again, the og ain't so bad...
    billbradley

I hadn't seen the demo version. I think I still like the Apollonia 6 version better.

I hadn't seen the demo version. I think I still like the Apollonia 6 version better.

give the demo a few listens.  *chef's kiss*   i wish the quality could be 25% better, but still grainy.  memories of nth generation hiphop tape dubs.  would love to play it out on a dancefloor.

• That is a nice score. I'm especially tickled by the Everclear jukebox 45. What even were the 90s? Everclear on 45. The fuck.