Rap You're Liking

1636465666769»

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    I've never actually listened to much JPEGMAFIA, and I'm ashamed to say that it's partly because of his name (mad shallow); so I'm just a bit unfamiliar with his whole steez.  but i agree that i'm much more in tune with Danny when he's rapping.

but JPEGMAFIA produced the whole album, so like, i'm intrigued.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    New Kool Keith… love the production, reminds me just a likkle of Beauty & The Beat:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=O41j5DmJh-4&pp=ygURU2Jha2VzIGtvb2wga2VpdGg%3D

https://youtu.be/O41j5DmJh-4
    ppadilha

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    ketan said:
    Danny x JPEGMAFIA album goes hoard - hard to pick just one song...

I really like this kind of fucked up noisey almost psychedelic rap production - it kinda reminds me of a tiny norcal release called Motel Crew that I semi-firmly believe to be one of the best rap albums ever made. JPEGMAFIA's verses are kinda washing over me though, like not bad or good, just not remarkable compared to Danny who sounds as nuts as the beats.

i feel the jpegmafia production on that album so i went looking for motel crew. is it this one?

https://megakutrecords.bandcamp.com/album/motel-crew

• Yeah. Some dubsteppy guy called Doug Surreal produced it, and the rappers are Luke Sick and Z-Man. It was out on like 50 cassette release and free download in 2011. I do not guarantee you will feel the same vibes haha. But I love it.

hiphop50 was cool and all - and LL, Rakim, Scarface and dem deserve all the accolades.  but i also noticed many "hip hop legends" not getting their dues. 

like, the Beatnuts!  committed beatheads par excellence AND they can rap. and are still great live (i saw them in 2018). so much classic material - even later albums have enough heat like this joint from 2001.

looks like they played a Summerstage event last year but it was on my radar (and i do be on social media and such). who else is personal legend status and didn't get enough props?

b/w

this is LL at his most vulnerable since Around The Way Girl - should start at 1:18.
    Electrode

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    "Musical Massacre" was my shit when it first dropped. Never seen them live, unfortunately. LL on "Hot Ones": the parts where he reacts to Da Bomb (15:50) and explains "Pink Cookies" (20:00) were hilarious. While I understand that not everyone has a very high tolerance for superhots as I do, I am surprised that sauce in particular is often the breaking point for many of the guests.

i hadn't watched the whole thing yet - the "pink cookies" story is amazing!  "high as a mf'er" (in LL's words), on the phone with a girl, rambling and comes across those magic words. and Marley Marl is right there and they go downstairs and record a classic.

okay, his reaction to Da Bomb is wo0o0o00oow. i've always imagined that it tastes like burnt gasoline.  ??

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    ketan said:
    i've always imagined that it tastes like burnt gasoline.  ??

It has flavor, but to give you an idea, buy a habanero at your local grocery store (it has the same ~100K Scoville level) and nibble it. It "creeps" on you. That's what LL felt. But a lot of these sauces are diluted with vinegar, so they aren't "that bad", IMHO. I put Da Bomb on my nachos when I was a teenager.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Electrode said:
    ketan said:
    i've always imagined that it tastes like burnt gasoline.  ??

It has flavor, but to give you an idea, buy a habanero at your local grocery store (it has the same ~100K Scoville level) and nibble it. It "creeps" on you. That's what LL felt. But a lot of these sauces are diluted with vinegar, so they aren't "that bad", IMHO. I put Da Bomb on my nachos when I was a teenager.

I bought a bottle of this once : https://hot-headz.com/sauces/hot-chilli-sauces/daves-insanity-sauce/

Sh*shank, A know-it-all Indian dude at work said he could eat anything hot and had never had what he considered "Indian-level" spicy food since he'd worked here in the UK.  I brought this sauce in one day and asked him to try some.  Bear in mind that for me, a finger-prick-blob would be enough to numb my tongue for 20 minutes.

He poured a teaspoon-full out and before I could stop him, he'd necked it.  He ruminated on it for a few seconds, then replied, calmly, "Yes.. yes it is hot.  But not really spicy."  He went back to work.  I couldn't believe it and we carried on our day, whilst I walked away shaking my head.

In the afternoon, one of his other Indian friends came over to me and told me Sh*shank had been in the toilet about 20 minutes later, crying in the cubicle.  It was funny because he was such a smug f*cker.

DuderonomyketanElectrode

• This is not a "new rap I'm liking" post, but I am liking the MOBBULATOR releases of west coast mobb music obscurities mixed and chopped by peninsula legend Luke Sick. If anybody wants a download code for vol. 3 I happen to have some, hit me up. of course the real way to experience this kind of thing is in a car system via tape deck though

ketan