Recent Finds

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

Some local pickups, holiday trades and some taken off my wants lists such as the Osamu Kitajima, Azar Lawrence and Nathan Davis.
    Jimsterppadilha

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I just picked up a copy of this in Montreal the other day

... including this Bob James arrangement with a nice lil Plug sample
    JimsterElectrodecove

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ketan said:
    ... including this Bob James arrangement with a nice lil Plug sample

Harold Mabern killing it on Rhodes ^^^.  Thanks for this, I was not familiar.

From the past month
    billbradleyketanJimsterppadilha

came back from seattle with a pile of things I've been mailing out there over the last couple of years from US spots. also, some local fines in port townsend.  I'll pull some out some to post here as I listen through them.

one of the guys in pt insisted on giving me a free boots randolph record with my copy of mass in f minor, and i felt like i couldn't say no.  he seemed really enthusiastic about this one!

Boots Randolph  Party Boots 1976 Vinyl - Discogs
    billbradleyElectrode

Jazz goodness and other cool stuff from the swaps

ketan

most of these were under a fiver, some of them actual digi-mon dollar bins

lol at "take twenty three" but that's where it's at - once joyce comes, it's on the lee perry/kode9 the rare dub of the utfo
    Electrode

a few more from seattle

the klemmer contains bliss, and side 2 of that bert de coteaux record is nice.  the hubert laws has a good coltrane cover.  the terry ganzie is nails.  4hero mix of i've known rivers is a classic hamilton joint.

Jeff Lorber Fusion knocks always in my book.  He's a great jazz pianist, he went on to carve a niche with smooth R&B production in the late 80s/90s (Karyn White and dem) and he gave Kenny G a gig in this band but I can forgive all that because anything with Dennis Bradford drumming is going to have that fuego.

Terry Layne also had his own sound, I spoke to Jeff about what happened to him, last he heard he was selling motorhomes in FLA.

All those digs look good    Didn't know the Klemmer or de Coteaux.

ketan

Here's my scoop from the past week: Fumaça Preta kills. I can't resist anything on Soul Note or Don Cherry related. Flamenco version of "Police Woman" with drums! First Class is one of All Platinum's lesser known groups that is well worth listening to.

Jimster

• I have the Fumaca Preta 45 with two tracks off that - Vou Me Libertar and Eu Era Um Cao. It's a shred.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Fumaça Preta featuring the one Joel Stones on lead vocals and general shenanigans!

I actually never listened to the LP but I remember the 45 having some heat. Alex Figueira, who I think is the one that created that band, has a new record coming out that's supposed to be good.

• I should dig it up. At the end of Vou Me Libertar it sounds like the combo organ has busted from the abuse it suffers on the track. I'm not sure the sound of that 45 would hold up for an LP's worth - it's almost kinda a punk record feel - but it's pretty great as two tracks and I gather the LP has some different sounds on it. Am I losing my memory or is Alex Figuera a record store guy by day?

edit: Oh it's Joel Stones of Tropicalia in Furs, right.

Electrode said:
    Here's my scoop from the past week: Fumaça Preta kills. 

I don't know that one, sounds... intense?  I'll check it.

The Solar Plexus - Always reminded me of Mid-70s Zappa that one, like a Ruth Underwood/Dukey vibe, which is a good thing.  Can't believe they let that cover go with Horizon-Wonk™.

• Jimster said:
    Can't believe they let that cover go with Horizon-Wonk™.

It's dangerous to shoot shots of flat horizons with any kind of perspective other than straight on, you get that "surely they meant it to be flat" feeling.

Maybe Horizon Wonk is a small price to pay for avoiding Parasol Wonk?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Jimster said:

The Solar Plexus - Always reminded me of Mid-70s Zappa that one, like a Ruth Underwood/Dukey vibe, which is a good thing.  Can't believe they let that cover go with Horizon-Wonk™.

Checking out that Solar Plexus now, it's got some Hermeto Paschoal/Egberto Gismonti vibes to it as well.

Electrode

Jimster said:
    Electrode said:
    Here's my scoop from the past week: Fumaça Preta kills. 

I don't know that one, sounds... intense?  I'll check it.

It is! reminds me of The Stooges "Funhouse" but much heavier. I bought the LP used for $14. Aside from Alex Figuera, they are from the British funk band The Grits.

Apparently it's loud/intense spoken word but for two bucks I had to have it for the cover...

Electrode

Jimster

ketan said:
    Apparently it's loud/intense spoken word but for two bucks I had to have it for the cover...

Man looks like a reject Action Man

And the forced perspective would have worked better if they superimposed him in deeper water. I see, "God, your hidden low-tide troughs screwed me again!"

The translation on the cover is Beto Mendez and his protest poetry.  Had a listen and Beto is LOUD and INTENSE and had MAD STAMINA.  There's a guitar and organ accompanying but it doesn't get much space at all.  

• That kinda sounds cool. More loud and intense spoken word in the world! No more Ken Nordine styles!

ketan said:
    The translation on the cover is Beto Mendez and his protest poetry.  Had a listen and Beto is LOUD and INTENSE and had MAD STAMINA.  There's a guitar and organ accompanying but it doesn't get much space at all.  

He would have gone down a treat at Download Festival this weekend.  Kind of a proto-Rage Against The Machine.  We are about 15 miles from Donnington and people that bit closer can hear it from the comfort of their own gardens.  

Good stuff from past couple of days
    klezmer electro-thug beatsbillbradleyketan

from trips to atlanta and maynooth (ontario not ireland).

Electrode