Recent Finds

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    ketan said:
    nice finds!  

the scorpio and apache (?) on the 21 Guitar Hits have brakes iirc.  that record was a dime a dozen up here back in the day.

i'm headed to switzerland for work - any reccos for shops/markets in Zurich/Geneva?

I went to some shops around Geneva and Lausanne about 6 years ago. Prices are painful over there - one person even told me that some shops refuse to price anything below 20 francs, and that was for stuff like BT Express. The only store I can recommend is Bongo Joe in Geneva, super nice owners and more honest prices, and a good selection of stuff.

Thanks for the tips, man

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    RAJ said:
    View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Rare Groove Live Stream (@soulstrut)

Good seeing you @RAJ. Next time you'll have to come into town earlier Thursday so you can join us for the pre-ARC swap. Lots of old soul strut dudes came again. The fall show should have much better (cooler) weather. Man it was hot this weekend. I was dyin' loading the boxes after the show in the full sun parking lot at 98 degrees.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Fuck it was hot!  I did the fall 2019 show and it was colder in Austin than it was back home in the Northeast.  Can't win!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I wonder what makes a coffee pot sexy. 

Bill: Nova is a jazz-prog group borne from Osanna of "Milano Caliber 9" soundtrack fame. They toured and recorded in London. The one you're referring to is decent ("You Are Light" reminds me of Steely Dan), but I like their debut ("Blink") and "Vimana", the one above the Lee Hazlewood, better. And even then, I prefer Gong or Passport as far as that sound goes. 
    billbradleyJimster

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Electrode said:
    I wonder what makes a coffee pot sexy. 

Bill: Nova is a jazz-prog group borne from Osanna of "Milano Caliber 9" soundtrack fame. They toured and recorded in London. The one you're referring to is decent ("You Are Light" reminds me of Steely Dan), but I like their debut ("Blink") and "Vimana", the one above the Lee Hazlewood, better. And even then, I prefer Gong or Passport as far as that sound goes. 

Thanks. I don't really get into prog at all. I try but I prefer everything to be more funky.

I picked up 8 crates of techno, house, and disco from an old dj friend last night.

ketanElectrode

RAJ said:
    Fuck it was hot!  I did the fall 2019 show and it was colder in Austin than it was back home in the Northeast.  Can't win!

Hottest May on record:

https://www.kxan.com/weather/weather-blog/this-may-is-the-hottest-on-record-in-austin-and-its-not-even-close/

Last night I bought 9 boxes of drum and bass records. There were about 100 soul, funk, and hip hop records mixed throughout the boxes. Here are a few of the better records.

ppadilhaElectrodeDuderonomyklezmer electro-thug beatsketan

I'm impressed by these by-the-box hauls you get. The Natural Four makes me feel good, especially "Try Love Again". Lyn Collins too. I like "Willie Dynamite", both the soundtrack and the film. You scored with the John T. Leach.

The John T. Leach has gone up. It used to be a $40-50 record. Sometimes the prices between eBay and Discogs vary drastically though. Most of these I was surprised to find mixed in. I believe some of these records belonged to the DJs mother. Nice collection mom! 

Huge want arrived in the mail this week. This isn't something you can easily find in the wild due to it being a library record so it has to be a mailbox find for me.

Duderonomyklezmer electro-thug beatsElectrode

• Damn, that's a long-time want I'll never actually cough up for.

Damn, that's a long-time want I'll never actually cough up for.

It wasn't cheap but it's an OG copy in clean condition. It rarely comes up for sale so I jumped on the opportunity to own it.

At local stores and the swap today

billbradley

Some from the past few weeks. Hailu Mergia is a reissue that was purchased at a concert of his. 

Also saw these guys live on Thursday, which was their US debut. This record was a previous find and it's not as sought after as their early 70s ones, but they gladly signed it after the show. 

klezmer electro-thug beatsJimsterppadilhabillbradley

I found this New Orleans Lo-Fi Modern Soul 45 over the weekend.

klezmer electro-thug beatsElectrodeketan

Some of the things I picked up at Vinyl Villains in Edinburgh recently - recommended spot  The black cover is the first Pantha du Prince album.  The first song on the Street Sounds comp is Dayton - Sound of Music so figured it was worth a few bucks to hear the rest.  The Cornelis Vreeswijk is a second copy - man has the vibes:

Currently in Nairobi and paid a visit to my friends at Melodica and picked up some CDs of old taarab music that I'm looking forward to listening through, including what must be the complete works of Black Star Music Club - stuff like this:
    Duderonomyklezmer electro-thug beatsElectrode

sorry, here's the pic for the stuff from edinburgh

DuderonomyJimsterklezmer electro-thug beats

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

Jimster said:

Interesting article - I didn't really know the label like that at all!

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Strutters keep flexing on here, that's so sick!

Swap meets and otherwise local dealers from the past month.

billbradleyJimsterppadilha

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    nice pickup on that Itamar Assumpção!

Thanks! It was found for $15 ridiculously misfiled in the "Caribbean"/"Island" section
    ppadilha

$5-10 finds from the past few weeks. 

billbradleyppadilhaklezmer electro-thug beatsketan

My Fall 2022 Austin Record Convention finds. I focused more on selling and didn't do as much buying at this show. I'm happy with the few records I did bring home though.

2003 Now-Again 3 LP RE

sealed

ElectrodeDuderonomyppadilhafoe

the pharoah and digital underground are long time wants. the detail on the front and back of the DU is insane.

the rest were $5 each. the two in the middle are small town ontario (canada) gems.  i didn't really like/love that divine styler album but the cover art on that 12" is stunning.
    ElectrodeGibbo

I have yet to see a "Jewels Of Thought" that doesn't look like someone rubbed it against a stucco wall. Enjoy it! The "Canadian Content" sticker...when I see that, I am reminded of the joke behind the McKenzie Brothers gag. I'm just fooling though, I love your country. 

Gifts from a friend and finds around here:

Gibboketan

Electrode said:
    The "Canadian Content" sticker...when I see that, I am reminded of the joke behind the McKenzie Brothers gag. 

Coo-Roo-Coo-Coo-Coo-Coo-Coo-Coo!  (Those are my boys... I was raised on SCTV)
    Electrode

ppadilhaElectrode