Record sounds worse after cleaning?

Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
When trying to clean up a bit of crackle, ticks/pops on records over the years with distilled water and micro fiber cloth - Sometimes it does a great job and makes a big difference, and ends up sounding a whole lot better.

Many times though, I've done this and the record comes out sounding even MORE crackly. Louder and more consistent. What's the deal here?
Not really trying to fork out for a VPI, but just curious if anyone else has experienced this?
Thanks!
TAGGED:

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,783 Posts
    Could this be static?

Whatever hi-tech methods others have, I’ve always found

warm water + toilet paper
    record on deck
    press the (not too damp) wad at the centre of the record and manually spin the platter so that your wad follows the grooves outwards
    leave to dry
    gently do a second time with a cloth to remove any remaining fibres/dirt etc
    Beatnick Dee

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I was thinking static also.

The VPI isn't cheap but over time it will pay for itself. There have been so many times that I've been able to increase a records grade by giving it a proper cleaning. I got lucky and bought a used VPI for $350 on Audiogon.com several years back.
    Beatnick Dee

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
     follows the grooves outwards

This. I use the micro towels for TVs, though. Running with the grooves does nothing but cake that grime up. That may be the source of noise if you're doing so. And then there's styrene if it's 45s...

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    Electrode said:
     follows the grooves outwards

This. I use the micro towels for TVs, though. Running with the grooves does nothing but cake that grime up. That may be the source of noise if you're doing so. And then there's styrene if it's 45s...

For sure, cleaning/wiping outwards is important. I've always done that. It's just really odd getting different results when utilizing that same technique. 

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    i have used the same method for years and also get different results, my brother in law gifted me one of those "DISCWASHER" branded cleaning brushes years ago and i have been using it consistently for cleaning records...its dope and i love it, i use "The Disc Doctors - Quick Wash record cleaner" and sometimes it does an amazingly great job and other times....not so much. one thing i do find that is also consistent is static after cleaning...i dunno if i should dry the record after i cleaned it, or let it naturally dry on its own, i use a microfiber cloth to dry it with, but the static is killer. sometimes before the needle hits the records i can hear it buzzin' and i havent figured out a way to eliminate it.

i have never heard of cleaning from the center outwards tho and most of the cleaning options out there seem to be focusing on "getting in the grooves" and cleaning them.. i havent researched vinyl cleaning options in a long time though.

i feel like i have the correct/right/proper tools for doing it, but my process seems flawed somewhere down the line.. unless i am totally way out in left field, lol 
    Beatnick Dee

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Is that PVA glue method of any use?  As long as the vinyl itself isn't scratched to fuck, it's supposed to help.

Beatnick Deedj_cityboy

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Static from those micto cloths can be fierce. For me what works is to only wet the cloth really lightly - literally a few drops of water ,- then wipe and let it evaporate. No static.
    Beatnick Deedj_cityboy