Recent Finds

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

Some pickups from the past few weeks. That MDV is indeed an original.
    billbradleyketan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Nice one on the Dorker Vibes

I wish I was a baller, a little taller and had a '64 Impala.
    It was found for $5 in a furniture shop, sandwiched between a Barry Manilow and Earl Klugh. 

billbradleyketanJimsterklezmer electro-thug beats

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

ElectrodeppadilhaFrank

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Electrode said:
    I wish I was a baller, a little taller and had a '64 Impala.
    It was found for $5 in a furniture shop, sandwiched between a Barry Manilow and Earl Klugh. 

Pick my lottery numbers bud

From the swap meet. Many are dollar finds to fill some missing spots. Happy with the Cymande, Dave Pike (two-fer of "Live At The Philharmonie", which I found last month for a buck, and "Four Seasons"), the Elis Reginas and Jay Hoggard (another one of those moments where a record manifests itself only days after thinking about it). The H&O: I'm one of those people who has a fascination with abandoned buildings and the history behind them. A while back, I discovered an article about the diner on the cover (https://dinerhotline.wordpress.com/2010/08/14/the-story-of-the-the-abandoned-luncheonette-aka-the-rosedale-diner/amp/).

billbradleyJimster

Nice finds. Thanks for sharing the story about the abandoned diner too.

Electrode said:

Some pickups from the past few weeks. That MDV is indeed an original.

Bottom right : What is the General Caine like?  Off to a good start with an Alembic bass and an ecstatic lady on the cover.

George Clinton-inspired funk from San Bernardino, California. The group's founder, Mitch McDowell, is on the bass. The drummer is Alvino Bennett who joined LTD the same year ('78).

Jimsterbillbradley

"Mitch McDowell pursued a career in law enforcement as a bail bondsman after leaving the music industry. He was murdered in January 1992 along with a nephew, Akili John Davis, 18, who worked in his office. Police noted that the office safe was empty."

Jimster said:
    "Mitch McDowell pursued a career in law enforcement as a bail bondsman after leaving the music industry. He was murdered in January 1992 along with a nephew, Akili John Davis, 18, who worked in his office. Police noted that the office safe was empty."

I read that one too. Also, GC often played the locally famous Swing Auditorium (which was down the road from the bail bond place where McDowell was murdered) before a Cessna crashed into it, leading to its eventual demolition, on September 11 1981, of all days.

Yemsky

Recent old shirt purchase:

Electrode

Awesome.

• I like to think of some old collectro, unaware of soulstrut, hitting up every record spot in the 2000s and shaking his head in utter confusion every time he came across sayer at the front of a bin. a conspiracy... but why?

Combination of local shops and the PCC swap

ppadilhaketanbillbradleyklezmer electro-thug beats

Some are hard to make out with that picture: Ethiopian Dread "Rasta Liberty", Flora Purim "Butterfly Dreams", Peter Sprague "Bird Raga" (a couple of the records above may be from his collection, according to the guy at the counter), Andrew Cyrille & Maono "Metamusicans' Stomp" (I really enjoy this one. I also have "Junction"), sealed Four Tops "Catfish", sealed David Liebman " Sweet Hands", Charles Earland "Dynamite Brothers" soundtrack (unintentionally funny movie, by the way. Check out the "East Meets Watts" take on it), Phil Woods And His European Rhythm Machine "At The Frankfurt Jazz Festival", Barry Miles "Scatbird" (is it just me or did he used to resemble a young Roman Polanski somewhat?) Fearless Four "Problems Of The World" (no shit!), Ahmed Abdullah "Live At Ali's Alley" (Arkestra member's group playing at Rahshied Ali's NYC loft. First release on the Cadence Jazz label) , Joanne Brackeen "Ancient Dynasty", Marcus Allen "Petals" and Bertha self-titled.
    ketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    that flora purim has some beautiful music on it
    ppadilhaJimsterElectrode

I agree. I can't think of anything of hers or the Return To Forever collective in general that isn't worth listening to.

Also, I knew I forgot something: not pictured is an original Fred Wesley and the JB's "Damn Right I'm Somebody" for $10

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Electrode said:
    I agree. I can't think of anything of hers or the Return To Forever collective in general that isn't worth listening to.

Also, I knew I forgot something: not pictured is an original Fred Wesley and the JB's "Damn Right I'm Somebody" for $10

Flora fans should check out Gilles Peterson’s BBC Radio6 program from last weekend with her and Airto Moreira. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0014v2p

Electrodeketan

Narrowing it down this past month. Los 5-U-4 is the Venezuelan issue of the Cuban original; "Baila, Ven Y Baila" was included on the first 'Si, Para Usted' comp.

Beatnick DeeJimsterppadilha

• I recently found the rare soul cult classic[Alone With No Love- The Contemplations-1969] this one is rare and expensive...starting at 100.00.
    billbradleyElectrodefoe

Nice find. 

Austin Record Convention (Spring 2022) finds

Sealed Spellbound and Belle Farms Estates Puddin. Puddin is one of the last records I've been trying to get for my "moaning and groaning" compilation of records with moaning on them.

More boogie business

I was happy to find a gatefold copy of Tortilla Factory also. Took me forever to get a copy.
    YemskyketanElectrode

I know of their "Cokin' and Tokin'" from my RealAudio funk45.com days and I am reminded of them because of various places named "Tortilla Factory" around where my mother lives. I have a cut-out copy of "Gears" too: one of my best dollar buys. Solid finds.

I spent the past week around Yellowstone, Idaho and Utah. Finding records wasn't my priority and I was very disappointed that I didn't have time to attend the Bozeman swap (hosted by college radio station that was playing everything from a James Black tribute to South American prog rock, heard while in East Jesus), but here was my scoop during my travels:

ketanbillbradleyklezmer electro-thug beatsJimster

My cellphone camera sucks.

Greenslade "Spyglass Guest", Gil Scott-Heron "Reflections", Renee Armand "The Rain Book", The Electric Flag, White Chocolate, LTD's debut, Babe Ruth's "Stealin' Home", Jimmy Smith's "Root Down" ($2!), Mike Santiago "Entity"....the one with the dragon motif is called "Four Movements For A Fashionable Five-toed Dragon", a Sam Rivers session promoting a Hong Kong fashion show coinciding with the US bicentennial. Bagel O' Fun is an unfortunate group name but I like "Xenophobe".
    ketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    nice finds!  

the scorpio and apache (?) on the 21 Guitar Hits have brakes iirc.  that record was a dime a dozen up here back in the day.

i'm headed to switzerland for work - any reccos for shops/markets in Zurich/Geneva?

@Electrode  What's the NOVA record?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    ketan said:
    nice finds!  

the scorpio and apache (?) on the 21 Guitar Hits have brakes iirc.  that record was a dime a dozen up here back in the day.

i'm headed to switzerland for work - any reccos for shops/markets in Zurich/Geneva?

I went to some shops around Geneva and Lausanne about 6 years ago. Prices are painful over there - one person even told me that some shops refuse to price anything below 20 francs, and that was for stuff like BT Express. The only store I can recommend is Bongo Joe in Geneva, super nice owners and more honest prices, and a good selection of stuff.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts