Recent Finds

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I found that one earlier this year for ~$12 and coincidentally saw it at Amoeba L.A. on Wednesday for more than twice that, so $7 is a good deal.

I noticed that the typeface on Creque's previous LP was used for the cover of PUTS' "OST".

Wish I was able to find his Muse record for an affordable price. The only records I have which he appears on are the Leon Thomas ("Come Along" is a feel-good tune) and early 70s Mongo Santamaria ones and Eric Kloss' "Doors".

dizzybull

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    That actually makes me feel pretty good. 

B/w 
    I wonder what the font was?

dizzybull said:
    I wonder what the font was?

We used to (still do?) have graphic designers around here who mentioned trade standard names for these fonts which were used regularly on 60s and 70s LPs. Maybe they could help...

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts

Thes confirmed, and added that the first single from that album took the homage even further ( his words were “straight ripped it off” hahahahah)

electrode you have an eagle eye, sir. 
    billbradleyRAJElectrodeYemskyfoeDuderonomy

$3 finds from this past week with the exception of the Ornette Colemans which were $20 each.

billbradleyketan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Let there be Jazz looks cool

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Love that Science Fiction album by OC
    Electrode

Those two original Ambiances for $5 really caught me by surprise. Despite being from L.A., the only one of theirs I have found was a warped, almost unplayable copy of "Drift Up To Space" at a thrift store twenty years ago. They were found under their own placeholder tab (for the reissues, I assume). However, these are have paste on covers, radio station markings, usual cover wear but the vinyl is unplayed.

billbradleyGibboklezmer electro-thug beats

mixture of recent fines and pick ups from the shops.  GAT is the Luv N' Haight.

dizzybullElectrode

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    First time digging in 3 months. Went digging in Lake Charles, LA and Beaumont, TX after driving my mother-in-law back to her place. She had evacuated to get away from the hurricane and had stayed with us last week.

The Huntville Rodeo - The Eastham Band - Behind The Walls 1978
    The Huntsville Prison Rodeo started in 1931. Johnny Cash played his first ever concert there in 1956. There are a couple of these prison rodeo records that are sought after because of a couple really good soul tracks on each of them. 

Art Farmer - Gentle Eyes (white label DJ Promo copy)
    Soulsides on this one is so smooth.

Mel Brown - I'd Rather Suck My Thumb 
    decent funky blues

I've been buying up clean OG copies of my favorite Cure records. Was happy to find this mint copy for a decent price.

The Whatnauts - Help Is On The Way (white label promo)

Aurra - When I Come Home (white label dj promo)

Howard Johnson started following me on Instagram recently. He commented about wanting the Prison Rodeo record above. He's into horse riding and posts videos from the stables pretty regularly. Being one of my favorite boogie artists I'm happy to send it to him.

rando private press country from 1983

Condition Red - Get Loose

klezmer electro-thug beatsketanElectrodeJimster

Nice pick ups - that Soulsides is also sampled on G Rap's For The Brothaz (personal fav)
    billbradley

• I think I first heard soulsides on "record day" here like 15 years ago, what a great track.

That's awesome Howard Johnson got in contact with you! Art Farmer has another good record: the Europe-only LP he did with the ORF Big Band. Earlier this year, I saw that Mel Brown at this record shop in Big Bear. Everything was ridiculously overpriced. Not just "whatever it's going for on Discogs, plus ten bucks more" overpriced. I mean insanely overpriced. That one was put out at $125!!! The Condition Red: the location of the State record label has some interesting history. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacham_Theatre
    billbradley

Earlier when I was sending messages back and forth with Howard Johnson I was kind of in disbelief. He's just one of those artists that I'm a fan of and have several copies of his records. After talking about the Prison Rodeo record he mentioned that he's going to be releasing some country songs soon.

Thats a crazy stupid high price for the Mel Brown. You can get a VG+ copy for $15-20 on Discogs. I got this copy for $3. The back looked like it had some damage but another record had disintigrated and was stuck to the back of the cover. When I got home it peeled right off. I hadn't heard the LP with the ORF band. I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for the link about the Beacham Theatre. That place has some history.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Great story with the Howard Johnson.  I have a 12" with the same artwork, IIRC it's Standup b/w So Fine/Keepin' Love New.  That Paul Laurence / Kashif sound.  Smooth as a nun's soap.
    billbradley

Went to a local shop that just opened back up recently and picked up some cheap finds. The Dom Um Romao (been looking for that one) and the Sweet Smoke (Dutch pressing. The OG was on the wall for something in the triple digits) were $20. Nice to complete the RSJ & Decoding Society in one fell swoop. NYJQ has a song called "Cram It, Damn It" which was put on a mix or a comp, but I forget which. "CC & Company" soundtrack has some gritty fight/chase scene instrumentals. Pheeroan Aklaff is a four song EP, his second release as a leader, three years after his very hard to find "House Of Spirit: Mirth" LP was released. Boogie title track. Some were curiosity finds such as the Opus 73 (Dutch avant garde), the Bishop (not as good as his debut, but a good listen regardless) and the Heath Brothers. Mingus is his first LP released after his death. He doesn't play on it as he was confined to a wheelchair at that point.

billbradleyppadilhaketanJimster

Nice haul.

Electrode said:

Went to a local shop that just opened back up recently and picked up some cheap finds. The Dom Um Romao (been looking for that one) and the Sweet Smoke (Dutch pressing. The OG was on the wall for something in the triple digits) were $20. Nice to complete the RSJ & Decoding Society in one fell swoop. NYJQ has a song called "Cram It, Damn It" which was put on a mix or a comp, but I forget which. "CC & Company" soundtrack has some gritty fight/chase scene instrumentals. Pheeroan Aklaff is a four song EP, his second release as a leader, three years after his very hard to find "House Of Spirit: Mirth" LP was released. Boogie title track. Some were curiosity finds such as the Opus 73 (Dutch avant garde), the Bishop (not as good as his debut, but a good listen regardless) and the Heath Brothers. Mingus is his first LP released after his death. He doesn't play on it as he was confined to a wheelchair at that point.

What is the Urszula Dudziak like?  IIRC it's one of the first sessions Marcus Miller was on.  I've never got around to hearing it.

Yes, he started out with Lonnie Liston Smith before this one. These two feature his bass. Some songs are just her scat vocals put through effects. I like it. For a polished, late 70s Inner City production, its pretty good. It shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks.

ketan

Can you imagine anyone getting signed to a label (that isn't their own) doing that stuff, these days?

There are terabytes of gifs just for that pitch.

Even if it was a private press, I'd be the guy about to clamp the mould, and ringing her up and saying "Jesteś pewien?"

Yet they didn't bat an eyelid on that Nikola Tesla Story (In Morse Code) jawn.
    Maybe they knew Biz would want to be rocking doubles.

This is a "mailbox find" and wasn't something found in the wild but for me this is the huge white whale/holy grail that I've been chasing for a long time. 13 years ago @Mondeyano shared his first Boogie Mixx on SoulStrut. This was the opening record on that mix. It had been on the top of my wants list since. I had scored the purple text pressing that has the 10 minute extended instrumental mix but the sound quality of that pressing is no where near as good as this one. I felt so deflated getting that copy and never wanting to play it out because of the pressing quality.

Last week a book dealer posted this one up for sale. I made him an offer on it as fast as possible and he kindly let me know that he wasn't accepting offers. I don't blame him as this record has been fetching close to $1,000 or more for a while and my offer was just over his initial asking price. I set my sniper up and had no counter bids so I got it way under the current going rate. I was nervous that it wasn't going to be in that great of condition because it was visually graded and not play graded. That is likely why there were no counter bids. When the record finally came in the mail I inspected it closely. It looks like it had never been played before. There were no scuffs and no spindle marks. I believe it was given as a gift and then never played. Leroy Martin is listed as the producer and it has "Love, Leroy" written on it. So maybe it was from him to a friend. Either way, I'm ecstatic to finally have this green label pressing hard filed in my collection after getting outbid multiple times over the years.

ketanElectrodeJimsterppadilhaklezmer electro-thug beatsMondeyanoDuderonomy

Ironic you sniped it on Full Scope Records.
    klezmer electro-thug beatsbillbradleyMondeyano

First Pasadena Swap Meet after a year and a half.

billbradleyJimsterketanGibboDStrangeloveklezmer electro-thug beatsBeatnick Dee

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    Electrode said:
    First Pasadena Swap Meet after a year and a half.

I was there too. So nice to be back, though a little lighter than I expected dealer-wise. Nice find on the Fantastic Plastic OST!

Electrode

Did you find anything good? There was a guy next to me who scooped Janko Nilovic's "Super America", Kool and the Gang's "Music Is The Message" and Bernard Wright's "'Nard" under my nose. Was that you?

Next PCC swap is in February. The Torrance and Rose Bowl ones are on Sunday, but I don't know how they are with records.

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    Electrode said:
    Did you find anything good? There was a guy next to me who scooped Janko Nilovic's "Super America", Kool and the Gang's "Music Is The Message" and Bernard Wright's "'Nard" under my nose. Was that you?

Next PCC swap is in February. The Torrance and Rose Bowl ones are on Sunday, but I don't know how they are with records.

Nah that wasn't me. I wish haha
    Only got a few at PCC, nothing super exciting, couple cool euro prog records. SBB and Alquin. Shame to not see Ray and Jose there. They always had the best stuff. I did however, get a Jack Ashford hotel sheet from Melrose flea later that day which was cool. 

Never been to Torrance flea and only ever been to Rose Bowl a couple times. Don't think I ever got records there.

I like that Jack Ashford. Torrance sucked: mostly Coca Cola memorabilia, rusty tools and clothes my late grandmother would have worn sixty years ago. I found a couple of Dramatics records I am missing and Manu Dibango's "Afrovision" there, however. On my way home, I grabbed Brian Auger and Julie Driscoll's "Streetnoise", Dave Pike Set's "Live At The Philharmonie" and Barbara Paige's "Hear Me Now" at the thrift.
    Beatnick Dee

Some 45 finds from last week.

Some 12" and LPs from last week

JimsterketanElectrode