Recent Finds

Comments

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Art blakely was 28 dollars but I was happy to spend it. So many dope samples are attached to a turd of a tune but chant for bu is great the whole way through. 
    ketan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    A few highlights from my weekend trip to New Orleans. 

and some unplayed stock copies of some NOLA modern soul/boogie 7"

dizzybull

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Some videos to go along with a few of the recent finds

klezmer electro-thug beatsElectrode

Those are some good finds but is that a Caucasian flesh colored slip mat in the first video? I’m confused by what I’m seeing there. 

It puts the 45 on the skin or something something
    Duderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Here's what I found this past week. 

ppadilhaketanbillbradley

That birds of a feather looks interesting. I looked it up on discogs and the YouTube audio is broken but I’m happy to say it made the list “

“TOP 50 JAZZ RECORDS OF ALL TIME ! There is already a list for #1-#20 this is actually #21-#50, NOT IN ORDER YET.”

billbradley

I don't know about it being one of the best 50 jazz albums of all time, but it's of the avant-garde, creeping insanity variety (similar to the Mark Nauseef and Art Ensemble Of Chicago's "Paris Sessions"), a sound which I have been taking a liking to. There is a live TV performance of "1, 2, Albert Ayler". The woman is Julie Tippetts (credited as "ex-Julie Driscoll" on the back!)

Speaking of 'scogs lists, Robert Fripp's "Exposure" and AEOC's "Fanfare For The Warrior" both made the "100 Records That Set The World On Fire (While No One Was Listening)" cut, as did SME's "Karyobin", their record from three years prior to "Birds Of A Feather". 

I'm a fan of these Freedom, Jazzlore, Affinity, etc. LPs as an alternative to the more expensive, yet only slightly older, original press counterparts.

A couple finds in Houston today

para11ax

• a truly excellent combination
    dizzybull

a truly excellent combination

Ripe for a mashup. 

Ray-gamuffin Bryant:  Up Ahmed the Rock

Or something like that. 

billbradley

Was it worth 14 bucks? Maybe not. But it’s not bad. 
    billbradley

Dallas, Texas finds

Electrodeketan

Osmosis is psych rock from Boston, fronted by Charlie Mariano. Robin Kenyatta is solid jazz fusion with Wolfgang Dauner on the clavinet. Melinda soundtrack is a minty DJ promo copy. 
    billbradleyketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    yeah, that robin kenyatta is a long time fav

the muhal richard abrams also has something nice on it... can't remember now.

I picked up a copy of that Kenyatta last month at Goodwill. The cover was rough but the record was clean so I couldn't pass it up for a buck. 

There is an unwritten law that all fusion is good. Until the soloing starts. 
    ketan

dizzybull said:

that's deep, man

A couple mailbox finds

ketanElectrode

• If we're doing "mailbox" finds...

A few recent 45s from We Jazz records in Finland and a mixtape from Funk Night in Detroit - they threw in a test pressing of some new shit I've never heard of, it's good! Not on discogs yet. I guess they noticed I've bought from them before a few times.

And the Whitefield Brothers is nice to have on 45 as it's a song my band actually did live when I was in one.
    billbradleyElectrode

A lot of the boogie records I buy aren't available in Austin so I have no choice to mail order them if I want a copy. 
    klezmer electro-thug beats

• No shame in it! My buying has been pretty remote-heavy these days out of an abundance of covid caution

did not do RSD but was on my local's website soon after and ended up picking up this Zombies 7" from 2017 for cheap - it has the cello version of A Rose for Emily.  Also grabbed this 7" by Ty Segall/Chad & The Meatbodies - both sides are great: https://famousclass.bandcamp.com/album/lamc-7

billbradleyElectrode

Nice. I saw Ty Segall & The Freedom Band play at the nearby Zebulon two years ago. Check out his live-streamed solo set there from last year. Both are on YouTube.

I didn't do so well on a night fishing trip last Saturday, but I found these at a couple of quick stops on the way there. 

ketan

Nice haul!  How's that Les McCann? 

Zeublon is such a small space - I got to see Meg Baird there a while back and it was, like, magical.  Ty Segall must have been LOUD! I'll check the yootoobs.

(Not the same show)

It's cool that they're putting out sets like this https://zebulonrecordings.bandcamp.com/music

Oh, yeah, it was loud. Here is the show I was referring to:

"Talk To The People" is a much needed upgrade from a VG- copy I already have. It's a part of his "Invitation To Openness" and "Layers" period where he goes all out with the Rhodes and clavinet. However, while those two are all instrumental, this is his "What's Going On"-style soul record. It's best known for "North Carolina" (below) and the beautiful version of the Marvin tune. Both of which have live versions on his Montreux '72 double LP, by the way. 

Here's some selections from the Unspoken Word:

Here's the Charles Bobo Shaw, which is actually a '81 Muse print of his much rarer "Çonceré Ntasiah".

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ketan said:
    dizzybull said:

that's deep, man

I was always aghast at most soloing, but then I changed my mindset and imagined it as chord surfing, and got an idea of them taking like, rad angles against the wave and such.  So you have folks who are like, at one with the wave, and have their hand in the wall, then you have people with the back of the board through the wave, and then people who are really against the grain and then flip off the wave into a barelling endless flight dismount.

And everything in between.

But yeah, there are some solos you just want the wave to wipeout deep into Neptune's briny realm and pin the musician into spiny corals, over and over, perhaps ripping their faces off or getting devoured by sharks.

YMMV, like.

dizzybullketan

Picked this up last night. I did the cover and the music is great for only seven bucks. 
    Electrode

• You just sent me on a fun neal creque solo rabbit hole... I was vaguely aware he played on a lot of Pucho records but never paid him much mind. Not bad!
    dizzybull