The Soul Strut "Raer" Live Stream

Comments

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Hell yes. I’m only five minutes in and loving it so far. 
    RAJ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    Hell yes. I’m only five minutes in and loving it so far. 

Thanks G*r*!

• Just got around to it and yeah it's is one of the best yet. Great work Raj. Played it while hanging with my kid, who appreciated it as much as any baby/toddler inbetweener could be expected to.

Just got around to it and yeah it's is one of the best yet. Great work Raj. Played it while hanging with my kid, who appreciated it as much as any baby/toddler inbetweener could be expected to.

Thanks Klez for the (+) feedback.  It means alot!  I'm glad you and the little one enjoyed it.   

Live this Saturday Night 8-9 PM EST.

After a much needed mental health break, DJ Raj Mahal is back to celebrate our 30th episode of Solitary Selections with a finely blended hour of 80s electro funk jamz on vinyl. Long live the 808!
    klezmer electro-thug beatsdizzybullElectrode

The offical mixxx is uppp:

An 80s electro funk journey brought to you by DJ Raj Mahal. Long live the 808!

Track List:

Intro - DJ Raj Mahal
    The Theme of Alliance - The Alliance
    Redlight Combat - Anthony Rother
    Le Meilleur Des Mondes - Rational Youth
    I Like It (Cornflakes) - The Extra T's
    Customs - Harold Faltermeyer
    Musique (Non Stop) - Kraftwerk
    All Systems Go - Jazaq
    Perfect High - Peppermint Lounge
    Machine Gun Boogie - Antoine Rocky-Horror
    Key West - Kasso
    The Voice Of Q - Q
    Take A Chance - Mr Flagio
    Project 5 (Instrumental) - Synergy
    Dude On The Street - Anthony Rother
    102 BPM - Jive Rhythm Trax
    I'm Ready - Kano
    Dirty Talk (Euro Connection Inst) - Klein & MBO
    Fall out (Instumental) - Der Mer
    Young Ladies (Blue Label) - Fast Lane 
    Techno City - E.V.I.A.N and the Atlantis Posse
    Two DJ's - The Alliance
    Reckless (Club Mix) - Chris "The Glove" Taylor
    Destroy Him My Robots - Anthony Rother

klezmer electro-thug beatsDuderonomydizzybull

Put together a little funk mix while on vacation at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia.  Upload speeds weren't having a live stream, but was able to get it on tape and upload it to thou Youtube:

Official mixxx is on the soundcloud page as well:

Track List:

Iron Leg - Mickey & The Soul Generation
    Mighty Mighty - Jesse Anderson
    I Stayed Away Too Long - Manual B. Holcolm & His Band
    Headman - Obrey Wilson
    Superjock - Reuben Bell
    (Oh no not) The Beast Day - Marsha Hunt
    Ma-Gee - Calypso King & Soul Investigators
    Music Turns Me On - Les Parson
    Yellow Sunshine - Yellow Sunshine
    Ice Breaker - Bubaza
    Sahweesie - Ethiopian Brothers
    Goin' To See My Baby - The FatBack Band
    Chick-A-Boom - Joe Battan
    One, Two, Boogaloo - Light Nites
    Augusta Georgia (Here I Come) - Bus People Express
    Ooohh Weee - Volcano Kpache
    Let The Groove Move You - Gus`The Groove` Lewis
    These boots are made for walking - Ella Fitzgerald
    If You're Looking for Love - Triads
    Tightrope - Sylvanus
    On The Hill - Oliver Sain
    Heather - Billy Cobham

klezmer electro-thug beatsketanDuderonomyElectrode

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    so impressed by the commitment to the vibe on this production, so i'm defo listening!
    RAJdizzybull

• Vibe is the word I was gonna use. Lakeside funk, hell yeah.

I'm into the selection too, good to see some 90s-2000s funk as a Poets of Rhythm/Soul Fire/Desco/funk revivalist enthusiast. Bus People Express is like a 75 dollar record now!! The Poets have become what they once coveted. I have (and love) Volcano Kpache - it's not one of them but some FNR singles are creeping into dumb prices, not 10 years after release.

Next up: Yacht Rock on an actual yacht? Trucker country in a cross-country semi truck with the little apartment behind the driver seat?
    RAJ

Vibe is the word I was gonna use. Lakeside funk, hell yeah.

I'm into the selection too, good to see some 90s-2000s funk as a Poets of Rhythm/Soul Fire/Desco/funk revivalist enthusiast. Bus People Express is like a 75 dollar record now!! The Poets have become what they once coveted. I have (and love) Volcano Kpache - it's not one of them but some FNR singles are creeping into dumb prices, not 10 years after release.

Next up: Yacht Rock on an actual yacht? Trucker country in a cross-country semi truck with the little apartment behind the driver seat?

Thanks Klez.  Tear down and set up was a lot of work, but I'm happy how it came out.  Hopefully some more of these opportunities pop up.

Agree on the neu funk.  Desco was my era and a gateway drug back in the late 90s.  I knew Phillip Lehman and helped design a later version of the Desco web site before the label folded.

ketan said:
    so impressed by the commitment to the vibe on this production, so i'm defo listening!

Thank you!

• RAJ said:

Agree on the neu funk.  Desco was my era and a gateway drug back in the late 90s.  I knew Phillip Lehman and helped design a later version of the Desco web site before the label folded.

Cool! Do you know what happened to him after Soul Fire? All I ever heard was he was a bit of a mad scientist, had an existential crisis of some sort, signed over Soul Fire/T&S to El Michaels and Jeff SIlverman and became a cave diver in the Caribbean or something?

RAJ said:

Cool! Do you know what happened to him after Soul Fire? All I ever heard was he was a bit of a mad scientist, had an existential crisis of some sort, signed over Soul Fire/T&S to El Michaels and Jeff SIlverman and became a cave diver in the Caribbean or something?

He is related to the Lehman Brothers empire, so he could do pretty much anything he wants. What I heard is that he dropped everything and moved to Peru to surf. 

klezmer electro-thug beats

And yet you couldn’t be bothered to play a Lakeside record. Too obvious?

ive been looking like crazy for that one. Is it raer? Seems like her records are everywhere but this one I cannot find. 
    RAJ

dizzybull said:

ive been looking like crazy for that one. Is it raer? Seems like her records are everywhere but this one I cannot find. 

It is rare.  I think Jazzmon reissued it.  I was able to get mine of the Bay for a great price.  'Scogs it's like a $30 piece.

dizzybull

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Nice set Raj. Listening to the last couple of tracks and I found myself reflecting on how as a lil Timmy diggalot I would only have listened to something like On The Hill for the DITC sample and probably dismiss the rest of it as too soft.
    Now I’m grown and sexy (ie 44) the sample is a minor concern and the chill vibe and horn playing is the draw.

I wonder how many great records I missed as a yoot because it was all about breaks.  

RAJ said:
    dizzybull said:

'Scogs 

I don’t know why but this is the funniest thing ever. I can’t stop thinking about it. The word “Discogs” has forever been ruined for me. 

- ‘Bull

Duderonomy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• 'scoggin - either some kind of hiking trail mix, or spending time and money on remote record covetousness

Baz Scogs. My new username. 

Hey folls and idoits,

I've been suffering from livestream fatigue as mandates are lifted and the sunshines.  That said, I did have an 80s inspired phonk mix in the can that I wanted to share before I take a little hiatus.

Here's a live performance of it as part of DJ Mordecai's Soundclash Sunday

Track List:

Intro - DJ Raj Mahal
    I Got this Feeling - Hypertension
    I Didn't Mean to Break Your Heart - One Way
    It's You That's Happening (inst) - Exquisite Taste
    Let Your Body Do The Talkin' - Shock
    Beweg Dein Körper - First Touch
    Rock and a Hard Place - Frank Hatchett
    Baby You're The One - Wynd Chymes
    You - Michael Sterling
    Rain Forest - Frank Hatchett
    This party's jam packed (rap) - Dwayne Omarr
    This is a party - Radiance
    Release the Beast - Breakwater
    Pick It Up - Squirmin Herman And The Magneficent 7
    Funky in LA - XL Middleton
    Feak with You - Master Jam
    Don't Stop What You're Doin' - Alicia Myers
    Stuck Up - Kwick
    Stomp - Glass
    The Sound Of Music (European Mix) - Dayton
    Open Your Mind - Kleeer

ketanklezmer electro-thug beatsbillbradley

• I never fell into the boogie/80s/electro funk tornado, really, but had a nice time with this mix on in the background. Enjoy the sun Raj. 

RAJ said:

You - Michael Sterling

I haven't listened to this in a minute... looking forward to saying to Michael again

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    posting after many years to say I really have enjoyed the streams Raj, I mostly catch the replays on youtube and let them play all day long.
    RAJ

posting after many years to say I really have enjoyed the streams Raj, I mostly catch the replays on youtube and let them play all day long.

Thank you!  I'm on a summer hiatus, but looking fwd to more streams in the fall.

What's up Strut fam.... it's been a hot minute since I've been plugged in.  Ramping up the live streams for the fall / winter.

Popped up last night to spin the Stomp mix.  Check it.

Is this thing on? Plugging the gear back in and pushing record for the first time in many months. For a virtual sound check, I am spinning my 80s funk mix entitled Stomp. Tons of obscure funk, modern soul, boogie, etc on the pallette all OG vinyl, no flac. #80sfunk #boogie #vinyl  
    klezmer electro-thug beatsketan

• enjoying revisiting this mix mang, I'm glad to hear you're gonna do more. with that foundation-tipping monolith of cabinetry and vinyl behind you it'd be a shame not to
    RAJ

Thanks, Raj!
    RAJ

Tapping into my vast collection of groovy 70s rock raers and psychedelic beat head cult classics to make yet another attempt to whip up the Internets in to a state of funk rock frenzy.

This Saturday Night 8-9PM EST on the tubes

klezmer electro-thug beatsketanDuderonomy

Soundcloud feed:

Track List:

Dude - Pappys Haunted House
    Fire - Pegasus
    For What It's Worth - Fresh Air
    Funky to the Bone - Freddi-Henchi & the Soul Setters
    I Can Hear You Calling - Three Dog Night
    Scratch My Back - Sex 
    Fun Buggy - The Poets