The Soul Strut "Raer" Live Stream

1235»

Comments

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 251 Posts
    Hell yes. I’m only five minutes in and loving it so far. 
    RAJ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,717 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    Hell yes. I’m only five minutes in and loving it so far. 

Thanks G*r*!

• Just got around to it and yeah it's is one of the best yet. Great work Raj. Played it while hanging with my kid, who appreciated it as much as any baby/toddler inbetweener could be expected to.

Just got around to it and yeah it's is one of the best yet. Great work Raj. Played it while hanging with my kid, who appreciated it as much as any baby/toddler inbetweener could be expected to.

Thanks Klez for the (+) feedback.  It means alot!  I'm glad you and the little one enjoyed it.   

Live this Saturday Night 8-9 PM EST.

After a much needed mental health break, DJ Raj Mahal is back to celebrate our 30th episode of Solitary Selections with a finely blended hour of 80s electro funk jamz on vinyl. Long live the 808!
    klezmer electro-thug beatsdizzybullElectrode

The offical mixxx is uppp:

An 80s electro funk journey brought to you by DJ Raj Mahal. Long live the 808!

Track List:

Intro - DJ Raj Mahal
    The Theme of Alliance - The Alliance
    Redlight Combat - Anthony Rother
    Le Meilleur Des Mondes - Rational Youth
    I Like It (Cornflakes) - The Extra T's
    Customs - Harold Faltermeyer
    Musique (Non Stop) - Kraftwerk
    All Systems Go - Jazaq
    Perfect High - Peppermint Lounge
    Machine Gun Boogie - Antoine Rocky-Horror
    Key West - Kasso
    The Voice Of Q - Q
    Take A Chance - Mr Flagio
    Project 5 (Instrumental) - Synergy
    Dude On The Street - Anthony Rother
    102 BPM - Jive Rhythm Trax
    I'm Ready - Kano
    Dirty Talk (Euro Connection Inst) - Klein & MBO
    Fall out (Instumental) - Der Mer
    Young Ladies (Blue Label) - Fast Lane 
    Techno City - E.V.I.A.N and the Atlantis Posse
    Two DJ's - The Alliance
    Reckless (Club Mix) - Chris "The Glove" Taylor
    Destroy Him My Robots - Anthony Rother

klezmer electro-thug beatsDuderonomydizzybull

Put together a little funk mix while on vacation at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia.  Upload speeds weren't having a live stream, but was able to get it on tape and upload it to thou Youtube:

Official mixxx is on the soundcloud page as well:

Track List:

Iron Leg - Mickey & The Soul Generation
    Mighty Mighty - Jesse Anderson
    I Stayed Away Too Long - Manual B. Holcolm & His Band
    Headman - Obrey Wilson
    Superjock - Reuben Bell
    (Oh no not) The Beast Day - Marsha Hunt
    Ma-Gee - Calypso King & Soul Investigators
    Music Turns Me On - Les Parson
    Yellow Sunshine - Yellow Sunshine
    Ice Breaker - Bubaza
    Sahweesie - Ethiopian Brothers
    Goin' To See My Baby - The FatBack Band
    Chick-A-Boom - Joe Battan
    One, Two, Boogaloo - Light Nites
    Augusta Georgia (Here I Come) - Bus People Express
    Ooohh Weee - Volcano Kpache
    Let The Groove Move You - Gus`The Groove` Lewis
    These boots are made for walking - Ella Fitzgerald
    If You're Looking for Love - Triads
    Tightrope - Sylvanus
    On The Hill - Oliver Sain
    Heather - Billy Cobham

klezmer electro-thug beatsketanDuderonomyElectrode

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,782 Posts
    so impressed by the commitment to the vibe on this production, so i'm defo listening!
    RAJdizzybull

• Vibe is the word I was gonna use. Lakeside funk, hell yeah.

I'm into the selection too, good to see some 90s-2000s funk as a Poets of Rhythm/Soul Fire/Desco/funk revivalist enthusiast. Bus People Express is like a 75 dollar record now!! The Poets have become what they once coveted. I have (and love) Volcano Kpache - it's not one of them but some FNR singles are creeping into dumb prices, not 10 years after release.

Next up: Yacht Rock on an actual yacht? Trucker country in a cross-country semi truck with the little apartment behind the driver seat?
    RAJ

Vibe is the word I was gonna use. Lakeside funk, hell yeah.

I'm into the selection too, good to see some 90s-2000s funk as a Poets of Rhythm/Soul Fire/Desco/funk revivalist enthusiast. Bus People Express is like a 75 dollar record now!! The Poets have become what they once coveted. I have (and love) Volcano Kpache - it's not one of them but some FNR singles are creeping into dumb prices, not 10 years after release.

Next up: Yacht Rock on an actual yacht? Trucker country in a cross-country semi truck with the little apartment behind the driver seat?

Thanks Klez.  Tear down and set up was a lot of work, but I'm happy how it came out.  Hopefully some more of these opportunities pop up.

Agree on the neu funk.  Desco was my era and a gateway drug back in the late 90s.  I knew Phillip Lehman and helped design a later version of the Desco web site before the label folded.

ketan said:
    so impressed by the commitment to the vibe on this production, so i'm defo listening!

Thank you!

• RAJ said:

Agree on the neu funk.  Desco was my era and a gateway drug back in the late 90s.  I knew Phillip Lehman and helped design a later version of the Desco web site before the label folded.

Cool! Do you know what happened to him after Soul Fire? All I ever heard was he was a bit of a mad scientist, had an existential crisis of some sort, signed over Soul Fire/T&S to El Michaels and Jeff SIlverman and became a cave diver in the Caribbean or something?

RAJ said:

Cool! Do you know what happened to him after Soul Fire? All I ever heard was he was a bit of a mad scientist, had an existential crisis of some sort, signed over Soul Fire/T&S to El Michaels and Jeff SIlverman and became a cave diver in the Caribbean or something?

He is related to the Lehman Brothers empire, so he could do pretty much anything he wants. What I heard is that he dropped everything and moved to Peru to surf. 

klezmer electro-thug beats

And yet you couldn’t be bothered to play a Lakeside record. Too obvious?

ive been looking like crazy for that one. Is it raer? Seems like her records are everywhere but this one I cannot find. 
    RAJ

dizzybull said:

ive been looking like crazy for that one. Is it raer? Seems like her records are everywhere but this one I cannot find. 

It is rare.  I think Jazzmon reissued it.  I was able to get mine of the Bay for a great price.  'Scogs it's like a $30 piece.

dizzybull

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,506 Posts
    Nice set Raj. Listening to the last couple of tracks and I found myself reflecting on how as a lil Timmy diggalot I would only have listened to something like On The Hill for the DITC sample and probably dismiss the rest of it as too soft.
    Now I’m grown and sexy (ie 44) the sample is a minor concern and the chill vibe and horn playing is the draw.

I wonder how many great records I missed as a yoot because it was all about breaks.  

RAJ said:
    dizzybull said:

'Scogs 

I don’t know why but this is the funniest thing ever. I can’t stop thinking about it. The word “Discogs” has forever been ruined for me. 

- ‘Bull

Duderonomy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,506 Posts

• 'scoggin - either some kind of hiking trail mix, or spending time and money on remote record covetousness

Baz Scogs. My new username.