2021 RIP Thread

dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
Dustin Diamond, aka Screech from Saved By The Bell.  

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Said in the other thread.

"Homeboy, throw in the towel.
    Your girl got dicked by Ricky Powell."

Always enjoyed his photography. And hearing his name always made me wonder who the dude was until the Internet made things more accessible.

RIP Ricky Powell

Duderonomy

Crazy how screech only found out a month ago he was sick and BAM. Same thing happened to my dad. Went to the hospital with pain in the back, a week later he was gone. Fuck cancer.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Shit... Chick Corea?

I saw him a few times live, and met him in a record shop and chatted about his obscure shit, like Delphi (three strings per key piano bith for the Scientologists) you know, to show him I was a real geek, because I thought that would make me somehow seem less insignificant.

He was unerringly nice and more importantly, was an absolute mother on keys.  My favourite set is the Akoustic Band live at The Blue Note, Tokyo.  It's where Vinnie Colaiuta deps for Dave Weckl.  Vinnie is channelling the ghoast of Tony Williams and it's, uh... Electric.  You can find some of the set on YouTube.  Vinnie sneaking a cigarette at the kit.  

There's also one with him and Hiromi and the late youth Austin Peralta knocking six shades out of "Someday My Prince Will Come" in Tokyo too.  If you know, you know.

Rest in power.  Gutted.

ElectrodeppadilhaketanDuderonomyDanswift

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Mary Wilson of The Supremes, too.
    Jimster

Johnny Pacheco

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    RIP U Roy

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    PrInce Markie Dee of the Fat Boys RIP
    Rush Limbaugh- love him or hate him he was a talk radio icon since I was a kid  RIP

Bunny Wailer

Alongside all the other great Wailers stuff, I have come back to this 45 regularly over my life because of "school" 

Duderonomy

RIP DMX.

Much too young.

Paul Jackson of The Headhunters died last month

• Damn, DMX... that sucks. He seemed to have turned a corner addiction wise and people are posting a lot of positive anecdotes about meeting him. Same day motherfuckers over here wall-to-wall covering 99-year old prince philip, who has looked like an unearthed reanimated corpse for like the past 25 years, nobody is surprised that guy croaked. Nobody even likes him! But nobody at work knew X!!! What the fuck!!
    Danswift

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    I hope the afterlife isn’t as dark or hot as he predicted. 
    ketan

• MiceTeaMiceTea 25 Posts
    DMX deff an original always loved this version of Get At Me Dog with the Lox.

ketan

Damn, DMX... that sucks. He seemed to have turned a corner addiction wise and people are posting a lot of positive anecdotes about meeting him. Same day motherfuckers over here wall-to-wall covering 99-year old prince philip, who has looked like an unearthed reanimated corpse for like the past 25 years, nobody is surprised that guy croaked. Nobody even likes him! But nobody at work knew X!!! What the fuck!!

Always cracks me up everyone talking about equality, undoing the patriarchy and dealing with the fact the US is basically a racist oligarchy but then many of these same people and news outlets are obsessed with the British Royalty and idolizing them. You know, the monarchy that murdered and enslaved millions while stealing and plundering their lands and property many of which the monarchy still posses and refuse to return to the rightfully owners/descendants. Most museums is stolen shit people especially in England. And they stay rich and powerful (and friends of scum like Epstein) when they should have been stripped of it all a long time ago. No wonder this planet is a disaster. It's like the US forgot we fought a war with them to gain our independence which we've since totally flushed down the toilet.

Damn, DMX... that sucks. He seemed to have turned a corner addiction wise and people are posting a lot of positive anecdotes about meeting him. Same day motherfuckers over here wall-to-wall covering 99-year old prince philip, who has looked like an unearthed reanimated corpse for like the past 25 years, nobody is surprised that guy croaked. Nobody even likes him! But nobody at work knew X!!! What the fuck!!

The whitest and blackest men on Earth died on the same day.

dizzybullDOR

MiceTea said:
    DMX deff an original always loved this version of Get At Me Dog with the Lox.

I don't know how I hadn't heard that before.  Styles goes off too... and Jada sounds so young.

DAMN. Shock G. R.I.P.

ketanJimsterklezmer electro-thug beatsDuderonomydj_cityboy

Terrible news.  Huge figure in my early adolescence. RIP

Future Rhythm Is a massively slept on masterpiece. Damn. 

I think D.U. were slept on generally... They had a "Brand" but it never got the kind of shine that Wu did, for example.
    DOR

• Oh shit, that's awful news. DU were kind of colossi growing up in the Bay. I don't think there's anybody who grew up near me who doesn't know every line of Freaks of the Industry even if they didn't like DU or even rap.

When Shock said he was retiring from rapping, I remember the first comment under the announcement article was some dummy (genius?) going "so what does this mean for Humpty? is Humpty still gonna perform?" like, dude. But I'm gonna be the better man here and not make the joke upon the man's death.

(Thought weirdly, there is a young hump and weirdly if I remember right he's not terrible)

I’m also gonna be the better man and not laugh at the joke you didn’t make. 

Jimster said:
    I think D.U. were slept on generally... They had a "Brand" but it never got the kind of shine that Wu did, for example.

At the time they were making noise and well known. But as time moved on, I definitely feel like they should be a bigger note in history. They were the early pioneers of the merging of west coast hip hop and funk. Even today at work on a zoom call with a co-worker who is a huge 2Pac fan. I made a comment of Shock G's passing and he didn't know the connection. Mind you, he was under 30.

Thank said. I'm now left wondering if there are Burger Kings in the after life?

Such a bummer. Always loved DU. Packet Man is one of the greatest drug raps ever and it's about a fake drug! The entire Sex Packets LP is a banger. I remember rap friends being annoyed it wasn't gangster, I'm like, this is future funk GOML bro! I'm old so I remember kids in school all trying to figure out who Humpty was and a girl specifically telling me his face was burnt from hot grease splashing out of a deep fryer so that's why he wore the fake nose and glasses! Shock G was such a great producer and rapper and he kept putting out solid stuff even though many dismissed DU as novelty because of Humpty Dance.

• always loved this one

MiceTea

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    ShockG man, this group was like no other, i didnt really "get" the whole HumptyHump thing at first listen when i was younger, but that Bass line to "Humpty Dance" and "Doowutchyalike" were equally as dope as the bassline to "So Whatchu Sayin" (imho) and i was hooked, "Underwater Rhymes" "Packetman" "Freaks of the Industry" this album for me is a must have and end to end burners from start to finish.

Hilariously - years ago i finally found the vinyl (reissue tip) and purchased, i listened to it the day i got it about 10 times - it reminded me how dope it was (i have the cassette, but they dont get played much now and it had been a while since i heard the album) i was nostalgic as fuck...and then it dawn on me "where the fuck was GUTFEST 89'....i was gutted (no pun) that it was left off the album, it was the only difference between my cassette and the vinyl version, ugh GUTFEST is such a sick track... and then my brain kicked into overdrive...wait? WTF even is GUTFEST? where is this held? is it real? the track sounds "WILD as fuck" to me, after some googling i found myself "double gutted" ugh, there is no such thing as GUTFEST and i can not go, lol

** on the DMX tip, i was never really a HUGE fan but i liked a few of his tracks and never new of his struggles, i caught a few dope DMX tributes on youtube over the last few days though...

RIP

• Yeah my friend had the tape and claimed there were like three extra tracks on it compared to the CD! I was in no position to be buying recordings called Sex Packets at that age so took it on trust he wasn't bullshitting. Wiki tells me there were four cassette-only tracks.

Also love the dry wikipedia description of the album concept. You forget how bananas these dudes were.

The album is a concept album about "G.S.R.A." (Genetic Suppression Relief Antidotes), a pharmaceutical substance that is produced in the form of a large glowing pill about the size of a quarter, which comes in a condom-sized package and is allegedly developed by the government to provide its intended users such as astronauts with a satisfying sexual experience in situations where the normal attainment of such experiences would be counter-productive to the mission at hand.

MiceTea said:
    I'm old so I remember kids in school all trying to figure out who Humpty was and a girl specifically telling me his face was burnt from hot grease splashing out of a deep fryer so that's why he wore the fake nose and glasses!

I'm that old too - I remember reading rumours about Humpty's face being disfigured in whatever rap mag I was buying at the time.

Doowutchyalike was such a refreshing anthem at the time and holds up very well Damn, he was STILL funky