Recent Finds

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

small haul from an estate sale I hit up this week. I really just went out to get that Electric Prunes for cheap.

Electric Lucifer is kind of

ElectrodeRAJstratasphere

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Nice haul!  Yea the Bruce Haack is great, and that Stanley Clarke has some heat too.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Herbie Hancock's "Sextant" is one of my favorites. That 15+ minute tune on the Shawn Phillips is amazing too. The remaining members of Strawberry Alarm Clock used to play here often several years ago.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Michael Franks - Sleeping Gypsy is one of his best.  A Bossa phase.  When Warners had budget and you could have string-section charts (with Claus Ogerman) and pick the best musicians to manifest your ideas.  "B'wana-He No Home" is melty.  Joao Donato on keys FFS.  Bizzarely there's also a Carpenters cover of this tune out there.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Funny... I scored that Strawberry Alarm Clock at the local thrift for a quarter today.  

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    No blood shitteurs in this pile but solid stuff. Actually the jan hammer is rad. And that George Duke joint will make me yell “wessiiiiide!”
    billbradley

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Dollar Bin finds from the weekend. No raers but I don't mind finding clean copies of decent records for a dollar. The Willie Colon and Arena are reissues. Normally I don't mess with reissues but I couldn't pass up sealed copies for a buck. Cyndi Lauper was the lead singer for Blue Angel before going solo and becoming a huge pop star. The Stone City Band is a white label promo. 

klezmer electro-thug beatsDuderonomyElectrode

I had to grab the Basra reissue - way too cheap to pass over when I doubt I'll come across an OG. 

Got the others from the dollar bin when I went to pick it up.  Team Farina is really nice - proper witch folk vibes on many of the songs esp slowed down a bit.  Gay Rock for Anita is a hilarious title for a disco 12" - it's a bit overwrought for the dancefloor, but somehow the Gregorian chant breaks work well for listening.  Say Amen, Somebody is a one tracker for me, but it's glorious.

klezmer electro-thug beatsElectrode

Albert Ayler and SREL are reissues and, like the Spirit, Osmonds and the CDs, gifts from family and friends. The rest are cheap finds on the way to my brother's and wife's house for an pre-Christmas lunch get-together.

More cheap finds, from yesterday.
    klezmer electro-thug beats

props to my mom for getting me a copy of my AOTY contender for the holidays

Electrode

I'm a sucker for Sarah Vaughan (and David Crosby, apparently!).  The 12"s are People's Choice - Hey Everybody and Mantus - Freestyle Rhythm, both of which make me sad there's no party to go to for NYE this year (but I see Raj has a set planned online!).  The ALC Craft Single is W.Y.G.D.T.N.S with Groovy Q. 

Some things from yesterday:

billbradley

Nice little jazz haul.

ppadilha

pick ups from the past month or so:

bulk of it came from a post-Christmas sale at a store where everything was 50% off, a dude from craigslist, and an estate sale where I got a 15 record jazz lot for cheap plus a few other goodies like the Dr Octagon, Stanley Cowell and Don Cherry. Expensive Shit is a nigerian OG from a dude here in LA who has a hook up in Nigeria now. It's a little beat up but the price was fair.

ElectrodeketanRAJDuderonomy

Nice find with the Opa's. You found a Don Cherry too. I was just listening to that one on YouTube this week. I found that Joe Farrell at Goodwill recently, except there was no record inside! I don't know if it's the same guy but monorecords323 is in L.A. and has African records too. He used to have a small store down the street from me but it looks like he sells only on Instagram now.

yeah, I got the Fela from the Mono Records dude. He said he closed the store, so only on instagram now. He was super nice, I think he's getting one box a month from a lady out in Nigeria, and he's trying to be reasonable with the prices. Obviously it's not always cheap, but still better than discogs or ebay.

that Ramsey Lewis Golden Hits is nice - it's not a comp iirc, it's them doing a session of greatest hits. 
    Duderonomy

ketan said:
    that Ramsey Lewis Golden Hits is nice - it's not a comp iirc, it's them doing a session of greatest hits. 

I haven't listened to that one yet. I picked up the lot mainly because of the Donald Byrd Street Lady, plus things like the two Stan Getz that I always pass on just because they're not at the top of my want list, but I figured everything in the lot would be good. The two Ron Carter LPs are pretty good, and the Betty Carter - Finally is pretty nice too.

The lot included a Medeski Martin & Wood LP without the cover too. I wasn't that into them when they got big back in the late 90s, but listening to it now I feel like they've aged pretty well.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    yeah, I got the Fela from the Mono Records dude. He said he closed the store, so only on instagram now. He was super nice, I think he's getting one box a month from a lady out in Nigeria, and he's trying to be reasonable with the prices. Obviously it's not always cheap, but still better than discogs or ebay.

For Nigerian heat, follow livingstonestudio on IG - I have known Temi and his family for about 30 years.

ppadilha

$3 bin finds yesterday. 

This is what 76 bucks got me at the local shop. But I’m feeling all of them. 
    ketanbillbradley

• How's Truman Thomas? I only know him from the insane live version of Memphis Soul Stew getting a shoutout from King Curtis.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    A few from the past week

Electrode

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    ketan said:

Slipping Into Darkness is the jam.

ketan

How's Truman Thomas? I only know him from the insane live version of Memphis Soul Stew getting a shoutout from King Curtis.

I'd say it is worth the 16 bucks I spent but at the same time you are bound to be disappointed.  I mean it's like this.... you look at the track list: Ode To Billy Joe, Respect, Funky Broadway, and goddam Cold Sweat?? How could your hands not tremble at the surefire organ funk BANGERs that you are holding in your hand? right? And yet.... it doesn't quite live up.  Which isn't to say it's bad, but I can't but wish it were better.  You can listen to a few cuts on discogs, but Funky Broadway was pulled due to copywrite i guess.  So I went on youtube to see if it was there -in the store, mind you, as youtube/discogs is the listening station of the modern era (headphones of course, bluetooth naturally) - and it wasn't there.  But it's funky broadway, dammit, i had to hear it.  16 dollars to satisfy my curiosity.  Again that's not to say that is bad. It's serviceable.  Sticker on it says i have the "Holland Press" (whatever that means. Holland isn't a country).

EDIT: On the back it says "Manufactured by ARTONE HOLLAND", so there you go.

Here's the notes on the back:

"TRUMAN THOMAS is only eighteen years old. Yet, he plays some of the most exciting organ you'll ever here. This gifted lad really wails and is a lead-pipe cinch to on the scene for a long time. Just one listening to TRUMAN THOMAS in his debut for VEEP will prove this statement beyond a doubt. I mean, he is "GROOVIN''"!

klezmer electro-thug beats

• Hmm yeah the couple tracks on scogs make me think like... you can't help but look at that album and tracklist and artist and go "this should be some heat", and you won't quite be WRONG but it's not really the sum of all those elements. Respect is nice enough. Cold Sweat just seems like a missed opportunity. Yeah I'd have made the same buy and probably felt the same. I feel bad for Truman that his recording career went nowhere, but then, he did get to play the Fillmore West with Bernard Purdie and King Curtis at what must've been age 21 or something so he's got that.

Here's what I found this weekend at a couple of stores near a scenic hike in the snow-crested mountains of Angeles National Forest. Chick Corea is a sampler of his late 60s Solid State LPs and "The Song Of Singing". Next to those are Alan Parsons Project and Mahavishnu Orchestra, which were found in the bargain bins with the Ramsey Lewis, Deodato, Grace Jones 12", Al Green and Falconaires. The later has Steve Alaimo doing "Cold Sweat" (like the Truman Thomas version, no break) and "Get Out Of My Life, Woman" (with drums). Rahsaan Roland Kirk & The Vibration Society "Rahsaan Rahsaan" is a minty promo copy. Same with the Joe Zawinul, which is an upgrade of a dollar copy of that had skips all over the place. Gong is the US issue of "Gazeuse!". Jose Fajardo is produced by Ray Barretto. Tender Aggression is German disco with Deiter Reith on the keys. Riccardo Zappa (no relation to Frank) is his debut; great stuff. Harold Dumont is a private label tribute to Duke with funky backing. The National Health, which is British jazz rock, materialized only a few days after seeing it by chance on discogs. NOMO is neo-Afrobeat on Ubiquity. I saw them play several years ago. They put on a hell of a show.
    ketanppadilha

That’s more that I usually find while hiking. 

• Some recent scores 
    ketanElectrode