RIP MF DOOM

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited January 2021 in Music
Yo, I searched but I didn't see a discussion.

Mos Def actually pointed out that MF DOOM  was actually British born in London raised in Long Island. I guess our first introduction to Daniel DUMILE was as Zev Love X of KMD. The track Peach Fuzz was randomly played by DJs over here on the West Coast a little bit in the BBOY scene, but I can't recall much about this group, and I'm sure someone on here has more knowledge of the relationship between KMD and 3rd Bass.

One of the BBOYs in my crew when I was in Highschool was named Aynar. He wore glasses and braces so naturally his nickname was Nerd. I remember his brother jokingly calling him Metal-Faced Nerd. MF NERD. Which I thought was pretty funny, but later on I understand it was a reference to Metal Face DOOM. Those guys were the first people to turn me onto MF DOOM and MF GRIMM, and I remember having a scratched up burnt CD of Operation Doomsday in my truck.

Honestly, I thought his flow was a bit confusing, and the way he would always segway midverse to a different topic with a pause reminded me of Common. However, I really loved the old school cartoon references, and the really far out samples. For me the production really reminded me of Prince Paul and the Gravediggaz.

I guess it didn't even register to me that he was the MC and the producer, but I definitely added Special Herbs in many of my DJ sets.

When Madvillain dropped I knew it was an instant CLASSIC. I guess working with Madlib makes this Doom's West Coast album. The mutual appreciation of Blunts, Cartoons, Comics, Rare samples, and Dope beats makes Madlib the perfect collaborator for DOOM. I've got this album memorized and I've looked for every sample like many of you. The track Accordian samples my homie Daedelus track Experience. Which is befitting because they would play this album on Dublab a lot. Which was one of my favorite radio stations at the time.

I can hear a heavy influence from him on dudes like Action Bronson, Quelle Chris, and EDAN. I think the biggest tribute was MOS DEF covering MF DOOM songs. Legend respecting another legend.

I guess the biggest takeaway with the whole, Face Mask, Imposter Doom's, chopped up kids records, and complex rhyme schemes with punchlines like he was a stand-up comic. Daniel Dumile was a cool ass nerd steeped in Hip Hop culture from a young age. He observed what everyone else was doing and went far left by inventing himself a character and teaching himself how to produce. His debut album took us into a specific DIY esthetic that really was original and a reminder of all the greatest parts of Hip Hop. He borrowed many aspects of things that he loved and he gave it back to the listeners with Wit, Humor and Cleverness that many audiences were not and are still not ready for yet.

It's a tragedy that he died so young from what sounds like a blood clot. 2020 was an awful fucking year, and we lost so many great artists. A heavy blow and a reminder that everyone dies, and unfortunately if you're reading this you will eventually die too. 

Now think will you leave behind a legacy like MF DOOM? Think about how big of an influence he had in the world of Hip Hop today. Also think of how many artists were inspired by him to create something dope. How he was able look beyond the current trends and open a portal directly to the most creative elements of Hip Hop culture.

Hats off to MF DOOM. Do yourself buy his records. Keep him alive in your playlists, and teach your kids about the Supervillain.

RIP

Ayo, leave some memories, favorite tracks and stories below.

- GOGODODO
pinodizzybullDead_Language

Comments

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Was and still am a massive KMD fan. Mr Hood lp was difficult as hell to find over here when I first started looking for it. Ended up having to get it off eBay for way more than I should have paid. Inevitably a copy turned up at my local spot pretty soon after, but it was an Elektra EU pressing so I left it for someone else! Mine was the US original with the green sticker! To this day one of the happiest I've been on receipt of an e-dig. I had all the picture cover 12's from the lp as well, including the Nitty Gritty remix 12" and thought the design on all of them was awesome. Frame-worthy cover art for sure.

Bl_ck B_st_rds reminds me of Low End Theory the way they came out with such a mature and evolved sound. Great record. Fools at Elektra didn't know what to do with a true creative.

I had the original Doom 12's on Fondle 'Em when they came out. I think Operation Doomsday re-recorded the vocals from those tracks for the album, but I always preferred the original mixes. Still a classic. All are classics to me.

I stopped paying much attention in the early 00's so nothing else really moved me as much as these at an important time of growing up. I have given a passing listen to Vik Vaughn, Madvillain, MM Food, but I will definitely revisit with a new ear. 

RIP to a unique, and by the sounds of it, thoroughly lovely guy.
    SPlDEY

• pinopino 18 Posts
    RIP

One of my absolute favorites!
    SPlDEY

• Another tragedy for the Dumile family after losing Subroc so early. 

I think I said this in the other thread but as Zev he had a verse on my favorite track of the first rap album I ever had, as a little kid. When I heard MF DOOM & MF GRIMM and Operation Doomsday it blew my mind when I realized this was (had been) Zev Love X. His stuff has weaved in and out of my whole life of listening to hip hop. 

And now the secret of who Mr Fantastik (Rapp Snitch Knishes) is will never be revealed either, damn
    SPlDEY

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    Rishan said:
    I had the original Doom 12's on Fondle 'Em when they came out. I think Operation Doomsday re-recorded the vocals from those tracks for the album, but I always preferred the original mixes. Still a classic. All are classics to me.

but have you heard the original recording of gas drawls from 94 where he sounds a lot more like his KMD records?

ketanSPlDEYRishan

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

unfortunately if you're reading this you will eventually die too.

Spidey taking the "DOOM" motif and running with it.   

CHALLENGE : ACCEPTED

SPlDEY

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    foe said:
    Rishan said:

but have you heard the original recording of gas drawls from 94 where he sounds a lot more like his KMD records?

YO, that track is DOPE and he's coming at that track heavy with a flow that's more like Nas or Big L. I'm glad you guys brought up BL_CK B_ST_RDS. My theory is the failure of that album created MF DOOM.

KMD is still a massively underrated Hip Hop group. On the Mr. Hood album they clearly had a feel good, party record vibe which to me feels heavily indebted to groups like Tribe,  De La Soul and 3rd Bass. 

The album still holds up as a solid hip hop time capsule, but I think they really didn't establish their own unique identity at this point. The Muslim Kufi positive BBOY vibe was definitely who they were, but I don't think listeners connected with it at that time. The black face Sambo mask is confusing, cute, and also pretty offensive.

Still, Doom comes off as the standout MC with confidence and a clear vision of what makes a great song work. The Bert and Ernie sample on Humrush def has the inventiveness that carries through to Special Herbs. On much of this album the wordplay is fun and I definitely see how DOOM and DEL the funky homosapien could be compared at this point. His flow even sounds a bit like Ice Cube on Amerikkka's most wanted. Peachfuzz and Humrush to me are probably the two standout tracks on the album

BL_CK B_ST_RDS definitely feels heavier and is more in the direction of groups like Naughty by Nature and Onyx. It's definitely a darker direction with heavier subject matter, and obviously more cursing.

So, I'm guessing the story on the internet was Elektra shelved it over the artwork? Which to me doesn't make much sense. They easily could've just changed the title and the artwork. I mean the drawing was hand drawn by Zev Love X. Notice how the friendly Sambo character was hung. This I believe represents the death of early KMD.

No more friendly, positive, easy to digest cartoon characters. I think more likely the change of direction was a bit far removed from their Gas Face influenced days. Plus Onyx dipped and the whole Subroc getting hit by a car really ruined the trajectory of the young group. 

Plumskinzz, my favorite KMD track, not only shows how talented and focused young Zev Love X was at the time. Clearly this track got the ear of Madlib and Peanut butter wolf as well. One thing DEL mentions briefly is that Doom was getting heavy into Ultra Magnetic MC's. Kool Keith aka Dr. Octagon aka Black Elvis was definitely experimenting with pseudonyms and personas at this time. 

DOOM being a fan of weird underground HIP HOP went through a lost period of homelessness, drinking, most likely having financial problems and poorly dealing with the grief of Subroc's death and the end of KMD. 

Zev Love X was a dope MC and producer from the Golden era of Hip Hop. His career dies, but his talent continues to grow and the mask gave him a new Villain character to play and a persona to hide behind which gave him the confidence to rekindle his musical career. Now look at the BL_CK B_ST_RDS cover again.  KMD was dying, and so they embraced it. He even calls himself a villain on that album.

Notably DEL also says that when he figured it out he explained it to him which to me says that he definitely planned out his return to Hip Hop meticulously. He stayed writing songs and producing tracks, and the character gave him the identity he was missing.

And the name is obviously a childhood nickname based on the pronunciation of his last name.

Dum-ile.

I mean I'm sure this stuff is pretty obvious to most of you guys. Anything else notable about the KMD era?

I got one last thought. The death of KMD was the catalyst to the birth of MF DOOM. So it's interesting after he finally finds his success builds a cult following and gains the respect of many notable Hip Hop artists. He then decided to to return to KMD with a  beautiful, fun hip hop track with a bit of Muslim culture thrown in with a perfect collaborator of Jay Electronica. Brilliant!

- GOGO

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    how many MCs have gone and reinvented their flow like he did? And been dope in both cases? I feel like 99% of MCs just figure out their voice early on and stick with it, maybe they slow down a bit as they get older but that's about it.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

YO, that track is DOPE and he's coming at that track heavy with a flow that's more like Nas or Big L. I'm glad you guys brought up BL_CK B_ST_RDS. My theory is the failure of that album created MF DOOM.

KMD is still a massively underrated Hip Hop group. On the Mr. Hood album they clearly had a feel good, party record vibe which to me feels heavily indebted to groups like Tribe,  De La Soul and 3rd Bass. 

The album still holds up as a solid hip hop time capsule, but I think they really didn't establish their own unique identity at this point. The Muslim Kufi positive BBOY vibe was definitely who they were, but I don't think listeners connected with it at that time. The black face Sambo mask is confusing, cute, and also pretty offensive.

Still, Doom comes off as the standout MC with confidence and a clear vision of what makes a great song work. The Bert and Ernie sample on Humrush def has the inventiveness that carries through to Special Herbs. On much of this album the wordplay is fun and I definitely see how DOOM and DEL the funky homosapien could be compared at this point. His flow even sounds a bit like Ice Cube on Amerikkka's most wanted. Peachfuzz and Humrush to me are probably the two standout tracks on the album

BL_CK B_ST_RDS definitely feels heavier and is more in the direction of groups like Naughty by Nature and Onyx. It's definitely a darker direction with heavier subject matter, and obviously more cursing.

So, I'm guessing the story on the internet was Elektra shelved it over the artwork? Which to me doesn't make much sense. They easily could've just changed the title and the artwork. I mean the drawing was hand drawn by Zev Love X. Notice how the friendly Sambo character was hung. This I believe represents the death of early KMD.

No more friendly, positive, easy to digest cartoon characters. I think more likely the change of direction was a bit far removed from their Gas Face influenced days. Plus Onyx dipped and the whole Subroc getting hit by a car really ruined the trajectory of the young group. 

Plumskinzz, my favorite KMD track, not only shows how talented and focused young Zev Love X was at the time. Clearly this track got the ear of Madlib and Peanut butter wolf as well. One thing DEL mentions briefly is that Doom was getting heavy into Ultra Magnetic MC's. Kool Keith aka Dr. Octagon aka Black Elvis was definitely experimenting with pseudonyms and personas at this time. 

DOOM being a fan of weird underground HIP HOP went through a lost period of homelessness, drinking, most likely having financial problems and poorly dealing with the grief of Subroc's death and the end of KMD. 

Zev Love X was a dope MC and producer from the Golden era of Hip Hop. His career dies, but his talent continues to grow and the mask gave him a new Villain character to play and a persona to hide behind which gave him the confidence to rekindle his musical career. Now look at the BL_CK B_ST_RDS cover again.  KMD was dying, and so they embraced it. He even calls himself a villain on that album.

Notably DEL also says that when he figured it out he explained it to him which to me says that he definitely planned out his return to Hip Hop meticulously. He stayed writing songs and producing tracks, and the character gave him the identity he was missing.

And the name is obviously a childhood nickname based on the pronunciation of his last name.

Dum-ile.

I mean I'm sure this stuff is pretty obvious to most of you guys. Anything else notable about the KMD era?

I got one last thought. The death of KMD was the catalyst to the birth of MF DOOM. So it's interesting after he finally finds his success builds a cult following and gains the respect of many notable Hip Hop artists. He then decided to to return to KMD with a  beautiful, fun hip hop track with a bit of Muslim culture thrown in with a perfect collaborator of Jay Electronica. Brilliant!

- GOGO

cool post bro.

this is why i find it interesting that he made gas drawls already in 94. it suggests that he had already made the DOOM character or that the song sparked it. he is still rhyming from the I perspective or as X the unseen most of the time. there are only 2 mentions of DOOM the supervillain in the lyrics. the first verse takes him from BL_CK B_ST_RDS villain to supervillain cooler than a million. in the second verse, he identifies as DOOM with the metal mask fighting the fantastic four. in the context of the doomsday album, it makes sense as a more personal DOOM. looked at alone, and since it was made in 94, it does feel like a progression of BL_CK B_ST_RDS where he cleverly uses his nickname, doom, to make a metaphor about him being a big supervillain. just some thoughts i found interesting.

i love that KMD album, i really love the production, the bass, the distortion. 

"Notably DEL also says that when he figured it out he explained it to him which to me says that he definitely planned out his return to Hip Hop meticulously. He stayed writing songs and producing tracks, and the character gave him the identity he was missing."

when did doom move to atlanta though? since he was doing open mic nights in manhattan in 97 or 98, i would figure 98 as the earliest. wouldnt put it past him to drive to ny to do open mic nights. i do remember some interview where someone was talking about walking past a talib kweli show in the late ninties and doom pointing at the queue outside saying something like 'see them, i will become their god'. 

• RIP 

One of the greatest to ever do it. 

Doomsday, ever since the womb
    ‘til I'm back to the essence, read it off the tomb
    Either engraved or unmarked grave, who's to say?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Stretch and Bob did a very thoro tribute to the man on their show - lots of great stories from comrades: https://www.complex.com/music/2021/01/stretch-and-bobbito-mf-doom-tribute-show-apple-music  ;
    kicks79

• not pictured: several MF DOOM logo throw ups
    ketan

^^ First one is ill - second one looks mad sloppy.  And why are there 3 DOOMs?  Is that a lyric or something?

• no idea... just looks pretty beginner. snapped the pic cause I thought it was cool that it appeared on his b-day

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I got more soul than a sock with holes.

Damn, that one just got me 

no idea... just looks pretty beginner. snapped the pic cause I thought it was cool that it appeared on his b-day

Yeah there’s a lot of DOOM pieces these days!  Kinda amazing.  Even popped up in the small town spot in Ontario I’m from!