Recent Finds

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I picked up that Paul Horn a few months back out of a dollar bin. Was also initially attracted to the cover art, but then the back says it's with the one brazilian dude Egberto Gismonti, who's a jazz guitarist with a somewhat mixed track record of mostly fusion releases. I thought this one was on the good side of things, there are a few compositions he had put out in previous albums I think. Either way, his records turn up in the US sometimes and they're usually cheap too, always worth a cop. Worse case you'll be stuck with some wonky fusion LP that maybe has one good track on it. He also had an independent label in Brazil called Carmo, and some of their releases are really nice, but a bit spendy these days because they're on the radar of those experimental/ambient collectros.

• why don't ya like me, nobody likes me

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    More stuff I brought back home.  Waxon has dibbed some but holleur if you have an elevator in need of some Fuzak.  Need gone of all of it.  I NEVER HAD A MULLET/SIX-STRING BASS.

I'm still missing a case full of picture discs and Northern 7"s.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I got a mint stock copy of a 45 from that William Bell - Passion LP last week. Decent boogie.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Jimster said:
    More stuff I brought back home.  Waxon has dibbed some but holleur if you have an elevator in need of some Fuzak.  Need gone of all of it.  I NEVER HAD A MULLET/SIX-STRING BASS.

The greyboy Allstars was a serious want for awhile until I nabbed it on eBay last year.  Not a cheapie either!

I’m Trying to get in the rhythm of posting more finds in here.  I’m acquiring loads of stuff these days.  Let’s start with today’s 50 cent CD haul from the thrift store.  If CDs make a come back, I’m well prepared.
    Duderonomy

you just have to keep an eye out for that CD rot. A while back I took a bunch to a store, mostly stuff I already had on vinyl and on my computer, and dude turned a few away because the written part was starting to flake off...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Here's what I found today after work. Upper middle is Ginger Baker's Air Force. Like his Fela related "Stratavarious", this also has Afrobeat influence. Jan Garbarek is a repress of the Esoteric Circle on Flying Dutchman.

I got a mint stock copy of a 45 from that William Bell - Passion LP last week. Decent boogie.

"Headline News" is what I got it for.  It was £15 back then in the 80s as an import.  Cheverton Records, Liverpool

Found a few goodies at the local spot. Also filing cd purchases from 2020.  Yes,  I have problems.
    ketanElectrodeJimster

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Electrode said:
    Here's what I found today after work. Upper middle is Ginger Baker's Air Force. Like his Fela related "Stratavarious", this also has Afrobeat influence. Jan Garbarek is a repress of the Esoteric Circle on Flying Dutchman.

Song Title: super flute  

Lyrics:

“Super fluuuuute. Super fluuuuute”

/Braekz 

Electrode

dizzybull said:
    Electrode said:

Song Title: super flute  

Lyrics:

“Super fluuuuute. Super fluuuuute”

/Braekz 

Wasn't there a thread about the tuffest tune with a flute on it?  This has to be a contender right?  #GAUNTLETTHOWN

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

"On Any Sunday" soundtrack: I already have a copy but the cover was too moldy and trashed by water damage, so I threw it away and just kept the record. Bassist Carol Kaye, who I met at an appearance at a small music shop event related to screening for the doc's 40th anniversary, signed the label. So now I have an extra copy, albeit coverless, for trade.

Noah Young: self-released jazz out of southern California from a bassist-turned-psychologist. A blog entry from a friend of his (http://gapplegatemusicreview.blogspot.com/2013/11/noah-young-unicorn-dream.html) can describe this one more articulately than I can. 

Doug Hammond: a legit 2018 reissue involving Hammond's son.

Atmospheres: like the concurrent "Voyage To Uranus" (huh huh) from '74 also on Capitol, this is easy to find, underrated fusion.

Marion Brown: first release on Arista/Freedom which is a reissue of a '67 concert in Holland.

Howard McGhee was recorded during his late 70s comeback period and released on the Danish Jazzcraft label.
    RAJbillbradley

Headed north to the Poconos on Saturday to hit some antique malls and flea markets.  I’m not mad.
    billbradleyElectrode

looked up that Chameleon Church and Chevy Chase was in that band???

ppadilha said:
    looked up that Chameleon Church and Chevy Chase was in that band???

Indeed.  He plays drums, piano, and sings on one of the cuts.  That album has been on my radar for awhile for the Chevy Chase novelty.  I was happy to secure a nice clean copy for $10... It's decent psych pop produced by Alan Lorber.  

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Fax - self titled [Bite Back, unknown year]

Fax is Satu Redmond and Davy O'List (ex Foxy Music). Private press new wave, proto house, electro, left field disco, and boogie intermingled. 

Private press new wave, proto house, electro, left field disco, and boogie intermingled. 

My new answer when asked to described myself. 

billbradley

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts

Fax is Satu Redmond and Davy O'List (ex Foxy Music). Private press new wave, proto house, electro, left field disco, and boogie intermingled. 

I’m no expert, but it sounds like Italo to me. Also sounds like something that gets better with repeated listens. 

Fax is Satu Redmond and Davy O'List (ex Foxy Music). 

*Roxy

They were a couple (That's them on the cover).  FAX was mid 80s.  Davy was/is a heavy guitar player.

Jimster said:

Fax is Satu Redmond and Davy O'List (ex Foxy Music). 

*Roxy

They were a couple (That's them on the cover).  FAX was mid 80s.  Davy was/is a heavy guitar player.

Oops, typo on my part, it's definitely Roxy Music. 

Decent finds this weekend. 
    RAJbillbradleyElectrode

If we want to get technical:

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Rare Groove Live Stream (@soulstrut)

[comedy Japanese accent]"How you embed instagwan Raj-San?"[/cja]

instagram embeds don't show up for me anymore, and not just on soulstrut. I don't know what's up with that.

• ppadilha said:
    instagram embeds don't show up for me anymore, and not just on soulstrut. I don't know what's up with that.

shadowbanned for speaking the truth #stopthesteal

dizzybullppadilhaDuderonomy