Recent Finds

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    found this here, some local nyc psych...hello strutters, it's been a while!

https://www.discogs.com/Bearing-Straight-Feat-Kvitka-Cisyki-Ive-Been-Searching-Time-End-Of-Life/release/15863701
    DuderonomyElectrode

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Jimster said:
    Thanks my Dudes.

Strut por vida.

My dad was a vinyl hoarder.  Alas, it's not the kind of stuff that .... IS RELEVANT TO THE STRUT INTERESTS.  Talmbout mad Perry Como, Sinatra (but not the Jobim), saw some Enoch Light, Easy Listening Titans, Opera, Classical, hella Al Jolson.  78's.  Really needs someone with a bad Chud habit to action this lot.

But srs doe, I can't store my own vinyl here.  About two suitcases full of 12s and one of 7s.

So lemme know about the Ayers.

I know this shouldn’t be funny but the reaction while reading was like this:

Dad died: aw that sucks

He hoarded records: ooh, go on...

He left them all to me: oooooh!

Mad perry como: fuck 2020 for real

ElectrodeJimsterDuderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Dollar finds in the triple degree heat:

Nighthawks is an underrated Sly Stallone movie. François Dompierre is symphonic prog rock from the soundtrack sessions to the Canadian gangster flick "La Gammick" (). Gato is awesome but I hate mold. Always been one of my phobias. 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    Jimster said:
    Thanks my Dudes.

Strut por vida.

My dad was a vinyl hoarder.  Alas, it's not the kind of stuff that .... IS RELEVANT TO THE STRUT INTERESTS.  Talmbout mad Perry Como, Sinatra (but not the Jobim), saw some Enoch Light, Easy Listening Titans, Opera, Classical, hella Al Jolson.  78's.  Really needs someone with a bad Chud habit to action this lot.

But srs doe, I can't store my own vinyl here.  About two suitcases full of 12s and one of 7s.

So lemme know about the Ayers.

I know this shouldn’t be funny but the reaction while reading was like this:

Dad died: aw that sucks

He hoarded records: ooh, go on...

He left them all to me: oooooh!

Mad perry como: fuck 2020 for real

Dude, it's the f*cking truth.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I've never seen the Dierdre Wilson or Webber Sisters

The Webber Sisters is early 80s some of it recorded in classic studios in JA. Full of adorable, deep reggae like this

billbradley

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Reggae or dub records rarely turn up here in Austin. There are a couple guys that hoard that stuff also.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    A few from the past week

ElectrodeYemsky

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Only because I've not poasted vinyl pics in years, a few random pulls from CHUDSTOCK... 400 of these.  I know he has the same again in the loft.  If you open the spine shots in a new tab, you can zoom in.  Yes, that is a lawnmower stored in an upstairs bedroom. AND WHAT OF IT SIR?  WHAT OF IT?

(BONUS VICTORIAN CHAIR PR0N BEAT)

You did better on the chairs than the records. I have to say though, your dad took good care of his chud.
    DuderonomyJimster

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I saw a Les Baxter title. Mad breaks, yo!, or tepid lounge muzac?

Them chairs are beauts. Skinny armrests - not feeling your elbowz?
    Jimster

I also see a copy of Dvořák's New World Symphony, which is

Edit: just found this, which is a nice entry point to this piece: https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2018/11/24/669557133/dvorak-new-world-symphony-american-anthem. ; It also clearly influenced multiple John Williams trademarks.
    Jimster

• I was like "yeah yeah he just pulled some corny stuff" and then blew up some of the spines and it just put a smile on my face... so much como/crosby/sinatra... like 5+ al jolsons... angela rippon narrating peter and the wolf, not even peter ustinov... I couldn't curate such a masterful selection.

Bill is right though, he kept it clean - it's simple chud, not rinked chud or annihilated chud. Kudos to your father.

I hope one day my kid will paw through my works and despair. "no Gorillaz? no Rumours?!"

All for a few bucks at the spots which happen to be open. I like Ramatam's other record, so I picked this up. I have LaMont Johnson's "Aces" yet "Nine" has eluded me. I like the warbling effect with the keys. I already have a whole lotta Lalo, but I did not have this one. I have a weakness for these Los Angeles area "one mic in the auditorium" school band records with teenagers doing their best, even if it's far from Kashmere caliber funk. "Solid Soul" and "Hawaii 5-0". Moe Koffman has the drums and Robert Charlebois, also recorded in Canada, is chanson rock.

• Since I've finally created a profile to solve this damn poster-thing, after lurking for more than 10 years (not kidding here), it might the good time to start posting on here a bit more. So here are my recent finds:

I just moved from London to Berlin earlier this month and only had the time to hit one store yet. My prog section is still missing a lot of classics and I wanted to start my German journey with Grobschnitt Rockpommel's Land… it was easier than expected. Saturday Night Special is the Strata repress from 2001, I know it's not the best soundwise but I'm still missing the WaxPo repress and it was cheap. I wasn't familiar with Venusian Summer but I'm a sucker for concept albums and the line-up is impressive. Not disappointed.

Found these two in the huge Mauerpark flea market. It has been years since I haven't found an affordable OG Sun Ra record and this time I found two! Love both of these records. Cosmos is the French pressing on Cobra.

Finds from this morning’s small flea market under the rain. From a € bin crate. Herb Albert & Roger Williams are Japanese comps, mostly covers, in amazing conditions. I would have bought the Williams just for the Catherine Deneuve folded poster but I'm curious to give it a listen. Will have to wait for my turntable to be shipped to my new flat with the rest of my records.
    DuderonomyElectrode

• Jimster said:
    Only because I've not poasted vinyl pics in years, a few random pulls from CHUDSTOCK... 400 of these.  I know he has the same again in the loft.  If you open the spine shots in a new tab, you can zoom in.  Yes, that is a lawnmower stored in an upstairs bedroom. AND WHAT OF IT SIR?  WHAT OF IT?

(BONUS VICTORIAN CHAIR PR0N BEAT)

[...]

What a bunch of nerds we are zooming into these chud pictures looking for a .....

DuderonomyZaDougdizzybull

From the weekend:

ketanbillbradley

Weekend was good

I have been gobbling up 'soul jazz' records.  That's my sound... pre-funk and grooving. Music for riding scooters, swinging, and ascots.

Top to bottom:
    Lighthouse '69 - 

Chico Hamilton Quintet - we talked about this in the Discogs thread.  There is something about this one. It is the first thing i put on this morning.  A quiet way to wake up. The cover is deceptive, makes it look like you are in for a swinging good time when in fact this is a mellow, contemplative record with a damn cello.  Check out 'The Sage' (its on spotify).  If you like that then this record is for you.

Normon Connors - Dark of Light - Herbie Hancock on the keys. Laughter is a funky track.  It's on the fusion side but still good.

Viva Tirado - If you see it, get it.  The guy ringing me up said "banger" when he saw it and it made me laugh.

Chico Hamilton Greatest Hits - Hard to believe this is the same guy as the yellow record.  His cape phase is his best for soul jazz.  For Mods Only, Big Noise From Winnetka, El Moors, and A Trip are all solid, so I figured if I saw this in town I would pick it up.  2 whole records of cape era chico is not a bad deal. The ONLY song it doesn't have that I want is El Conquistadores.  Oh well.  

Soul Sax - It's not great, but it's not bad either.  It's got a half assed drum break in there. This is one of those records that when i checked it out on discogs i though "i want this". and then when i saw it in the shop i grabbed it, then got home and couldn't remember what excited me about it.

Soulful Strings - It was a dollar, and Listen Here is an uptempo soul jazz banger if you ask me. Definitely worth a buck.

Mission Impossible.  I probably shouldn't have paid 8 dollars for this but it was super clean. Jim On The Move was used for The Wiseguys 'Ooh-la-la', which is a song i have always liked, and so as the song moves forward you heard the sample getting closer and closer and then it hits, which all sounds corny but the song is cool anyways, that just makes it fun to listen to.  Shut up.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - The Case of the 3 sided dream in audio color - Freaks For the Festival is the reason I picked this up as it was on one of my spotify playlists, but I always assumed it was some rare, expensive record. This was only five bucks, so yay.
    ketanbillbradleyYemskyElectrode

Electrode said:
    From the weekend:

About 20 years ago I bought (and overpaid for) that Jerry Goodman & Jan Hammer - Like Children record as a "secret squirrel" drum break sample that someone has posted a 1 inch square of photo of.  

dizzybull said:

Nice finds. Just added that Viva Tirado to my wants list.

Most of these were one dollhair.  Some r&b and deadstock disco cuts.  Vacuum Cleaner is psych braeks.  The Paul Mauriat is pretty cheesy, but there's some nice moments here and there.  The 7"s are Sylvers/Hotline and Gino S/Dancer.

Yeah, nice opening drum break on that Vacuum Cleaner track.

• I love "Five Days on the Trail" having heard it in various mixes and such, but don't know the rest of that album, is it along the same lines? I am aware I can youtube some of the shits but how's it hold together as an album, I guess I mean, quality wise?

It's a good album but spotty for my taste.  Some really nice drums on there (from different drummers actually) and some good songwriting.

it's a new album to me but yeah, Five Days on the Trail is niiice.  

Bill: it's coincidental that you mention the secret squirrels back in the day because i picked it up based on subconscious memories of those auctions, this being one of them. A lot of those were dollar bin Melodiya LPs, if I recall. Forgot the seller(s).

Dizzy: everything El Chicano and related is awesome. I like "Revolucion" the best. I pick up anything Rahsaan Roland Kirk, although I balked at a rinked-up $20 "Volunteered Slavery" recently. Check out the namesake documentary. It has animations for his tunes, including "Freaks" and that monologue where he talks about computers. 

Ketan: Check out Neil Merryweather's drum break cover of "Sunshine Superman" too.

Got these three today:

I really enjoy these Oliver Lake records and this one is a nice session despite the mid 80s. Jean Shepherd has, believe it or not, a segment of Giant's "Queen Of Downs" with drum break. Airto has his two US debuts in one affordable package.

Electrode said:
    Dizzy: everything El Chicano and related is awesome. I like "Revolucion" the best. I pick up anything Rahsaan Roland Kirk, although I balked at a rinked-up $20 "Volunteered Slavery" recently. Check out the namesake documentary. It has animations for his tunes, including "Freaks" and that monologue where he talks about computers. 

Ketan: Check out Neil Merryweather's drum break cover of "Sunshine Superman" too.

Volunteered Slavery was probably my first album of his and it's wonderful.

Oh nice, the Latyrx sample.  Tune - thanks!

I haven't seen the doc but it's on my list now 

This is from the Volunteered Slavery album:

And recently came across this takeover of the Ed Sullivan show he did with Shepp, Haynes and Mingus (story in link):
    Electrodeppadilha

Watched the Kirk Documentary a few nights ago.  Really interesting.

This is one of the best boogie records I've bought in a while. Was still sealed.

ketanElectrode

damn, that's good.